“Great hotel, good location”
Review of El Greco

El Greco
Ranked #21 of 80 Hotels in Fira
Reviewed 19 August 2014

When I first arrived I worried about the location but quickly realised how ideal it is; situated a short walk outside Thira (10 mins walk) the hotel finished off a lovely holiday for me. The room was spacious and the air conditioning was quiet, with a good sized fridge we were able to get water and drinks for the room, cleaned on a daily basis with fresh towels, it was ideal for us. I found the pool area very pleasant, it was quiet, a welcome relief from hotels with activities and music, it was nice to have the quiet, with plenty of beds, although you still have to to the towel race in the morning which is part of the fun. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We booked half board although we set out a few evenings. I found the quality and variety of food to be good and I enjoyed eating there. We could get wifi in the room and around the pool but the signal was stronger In the pool bar. We didn't stay in the hotel in the evenings but waked into Thira as it has fantastic bars, however we did have a nightcap on the way in most evenings which was pleasant.

My only note would be to check what time you will be collected for the airport transfers, as we were flying at 3pm I booked a late check out, only to find we were going to the airport at midday. Our rep was able to get a refund from the hotel as the check out was late enough without the late fee.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at the El Creco for 7days for my sons wedding in Fira. Staff were excellent rooms very spacious and clean. I even looked forward to getting up in the morning to sample the extensive breakfasts. I have no hessitation in recommending this venue.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here 1st week of August and it was a fantastic stay.
Location, food, staff service and the quality of the rooms were all in good order.

10 mins walk and you are in the centre of Thira

Martin

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just back from10 days at El Greco. Could not fault the staff and service, nothing a problem even a change of rooms!! Pools were fantastic and the pool bar excellent. There was a good selection at breakfast.

The hotel does lack atmosphere in the evenings but this is easily solved by walking into Fira. We hired a car for the time we were there and it worked really well as we got to see all the Island.

All in all a super holiday on a wonderful Island..

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel do have road noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the El Greco for ten days with friends. We deliberated for ages over which hotel to choose in Fira and eventually chose the El greco based on the reviews on here and also on the fact that the hotel seemed to have the best facilities out of most of the hotels in Fira (lots of pools, a spa and a gym). We had high expectations.
We booked a superior room with a sea view and our friends booked a standard room.
On our arrival at the hotel the lady at reception informed us that she had upgraded our friends to a sea view room for free, however we had paid £300 for this privilege, which didn't seem fair at all. My husband challenged this and asked the lady to also give us the upgrade free of charge, to which she replied 'no problem I'll just downgrade your friends' what??!! absolutely unbelievable and not a great start to the holiday. She then argued that our room was far superior to the upgraded room and asked the bell boy to show us. The room we had been given had zero view of the caldera and also a 'balcony' which was actually a communal entrance way with a table and some chairs. The 'free' upgraded room was far nicer with a balcony facing the sea. This conversation continued on for half an hour before she decided that she would give us a 'suite' - a room with a decent view and a 'kitchenette' (which we never used once the whole holiday). To be honest she was downright rude and really put an immediate downer on our arrival at the hotel.

Now the hotel in general: this is NOT a four star hotel. The rooms are tired, dated and totally un-luxurious, the bathroom is 2 star - our bathroom door would not close, the bath was tiny with a shower head attachment which attached to the wall facing away from the bath, a toilet that didn't flush properly, one spare pillow, 6 hangers in the wardrobe (clearly not enough for two of you), a very hard bed and a TV with one English channel. Also I think that in a four star hotel you should be provided with a couple of bottles of water in your room, even if it's just when you arrive. In fact there were no facilities to get water throughout the hotel, even in the gym. One morning I tried to fill my bottle at the water dispenser at breakfast and was told this was not allowed. I thought that was really bad, particularly as it was hitting 30degrees every day.
The worst part of our whole stay however was the breakfast. It was terrible. So bad that we avoided it most mornings. The coffee was stewed and bitter, instead of a fresh fruit selection there was tinned fruit soaked in syrup, poor selection of cereals and a choice of either white or brown bread (one type). Also it didn't change once throughout the ten days we were there. This is what I would expect from a 2-3 star hotel, not a 4 star. What really annoyed me was that the lunches at the pool bar were really good with a large selection, which meant they were not willing to provide the same without you having to pay extra for it!

Positives of this hotel are: the gym was good (despite not having a water dispenser), the bar staff were kind and friendly, lunches by the pool were good, the room maids were fantastic and did a great job every day and it was very near Fira town. They also let us have late check out on our final day. However the other things just let it down in my opinion and it didn't live up to my expectations.

All in all, I think the reason I was disappointed with the hotel was because it is not the luxury four star hotel that it is advertised as. I would rate it as more a three star. It's very average. In my opinion a four star hotel should have a great breakfast, luxurious rooms and bathrooms. This hotel did not have that. If you want real luxury go elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cfh30
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed in El Greco hotel in july 2014. The driver Nikos picked us up from the airport and it was a short drive until we reached the hotel! The staff at the reception were very helpful, courteous and told us where to eat and visit. It is a beautiful hotel, nice big pools and 2 small ones for smaller children! all the buildings were white, the rooms were cleaned etc.The breakfast was lovely specially the sausages ;-) . We booked 2 rooms last minute and we couldn't get the rooms that we wanted so we had the ground floor bedrooms which was quite huge but the only downside was the bathroom! it was so tiny and dated! The wash basin tap was working properly and there was only one bulb working in the bathroom specially if you wanted a shower at night before bed! That was the only bad thing! apart from that everything else was perfect. The views outside the hotel was spectacular and its only 15 minutes walk to all the amenities i.e. restaurants, travel tours, shops, cable cars you name it! it was fantastic to have everything on your finger tips! you won't be disappointed we weren't! Will definitely be returning to El Greco except this time will book very early so we could get the upstairs rooms facing the beach!

Room Tip: If you book early book the rooms upstairs they are more stylish, big and better views but a bit more...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Very helpful staff... neat hotel.

Close to Fira town, very convenient for dining and clubbing.

All rooms seems to look over the pool areas and vines view only the reception was overlooking the sea view.

Great service.