“El Greco, a good starting point to explore the island”
Review of El Greco

El Greco
Ranked #19 of 80 Hotels in Fira
Cesenatico, Italy
“El Greco, a good starting point to explore the island”
Reviewed 8 August 2010

El Greco is a good 4 starts hotel, with nice and smiling people at the reception and at the bar. It is just our Fira so it is possible to reach the walking area of Fira in 5 minutes. Only the rooms around the reception face the "caldera" but are probably the most noisy because they are close to the main road (traffic day and night). All the other room don't allow to have a view on the caldera (they face the 3 swimming pools of the hotel) but are more quiet during the night.
El Greco people will help you with car/bike renting, tours and everything.
Something could be better:
1. breackfast: not so satisfactiory and too small room for the dimensions of the hotel
2. beds around the swimming pools: they are not really clean.....not very nice to see..
3. room: if your room has a small window on top, take care you can close it; I had such a room with 2 small windows 4 meter high and without closures against the light, so in the morning I was up at 6 o'clock (!!); I provided to close one of it with 2 pillows but I could not reach the second one; ask to the reception to solve this!

By the way, the position of El Greco is very good and in 20 minutes by a scooter it is possible to reach the extreeme points of the island.
Enjoy!

Gabriele

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wanaque, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 July 2010

This was my first trip to Greece (or Europe, for that matter) and I have to say that El Greco was a great hotel. It really enhanced the quality of my vacation. Very beautiful and certainly within 5-10 min walking distance to shopping/nightlife district of Fira. Would highly recommend to anyone. The place would work equally well for romantic couples or family w/ kids.
I tried to read the unfavorable reviews here to see if they had any validity. I can only speak for the room that I was given, but it was clean, roomy, beautiful and fully functional. The staff was also very friendly and attentive. When I asked for extra pillows and towels they were there within minutes.
Great, great stay!! Absolutely loved it and the entire vacation!
If there was any room for improvement - the breakfast buffet was fine but YES, it was the same everyday. I found the selection pretty much identical in Mykonos and in Athens, so it seems pretty standard.
Also the TV in the room was small (like a computer monitor)- but really, who watches TV on a vacation anyway? Especially since most of the channels where in a foreign language!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Hawkwell
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Have visited El Greco 3 times in the last 4 years. It is thoroughly well organised with loyal and long serving staff, great facilities, recently extended with many new rooms and a 3rd new pool. It is well placed for a short stroll into Fira or further if that suits, on foot, or by bus from the chaotic terminus in Fira, part of the fun. Wineries, beaches and ancient history are available in abundance, just a pity that Akrotiri was closed to the public by an accident on our first visit and has stayed that way since.
Found a good Jazz bar , Kira Thira Jazz Bar. Great for a post dinner Metaxa and some good records or live music.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paul_ogden
wales
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I travelled to Santorini on my own for the second time. This hotel was fantastic. Its on the edge of the crater and as you come out of the hotel the views are breathtaking. My room was cleaned every day and fresh towels every day. At night it was lovely and quiet. I had half board. Breakfasts were plentiful with loads of choice....you could not starve. Evening meals were served in the hotel restaurant which were of good quality. The pools were very clean, and I even had one small pool to myself all week. Cocktails in the evening looking out over the Aegean are hard to beat. All in all a very 4* hotel and well worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2010

From the pictures we saw online, it seemed like a great hotel, but unfortunately the room we got was somewhere behind. We had absolutely no view, although we were told that we were getting an ocean view.
When we checked in, our room wasn't ready, so we had to wait for them to clean it up.
It is definitely not recommended for a honeymoon couple...it's a bit crowded (mostly family crowd and noisy kids)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mathanki
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2010

My wife and I spent 3 days in the El Greco and at first glance were quite pleased with the overall appearance of the common areas. The lobby is very charming, the pool areas are very impressive, the food (breakfast buffet) was good although they serve the exact same items every day, and the staff for the most part are friendly. However, our room was barely 1 star quality! It was booked as a superior deluxe room and was dirty, the furniture looked like it was brought in from a hostel, the bathroom was an abomination -mildew growing on the walls and grout (see attached pictures). In my opinion, this hotel falls very short of the advertised 4 star quality rating! The rooms are barely 1 star quality and are in need of major improvements.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Galaxy2010
Ottawa
Reviewed 29 June 2010

My wife, 8yr old son and I visited Greece for 2 weeks - 5 nights in Mykonos, 5 nights in Santorini and a couple nights in Athens. We stayed at the 5* Myconian Ambassador in Mykonos and had an extraordinary visit there. We approached Santorini with the same high expectations and we were a little disappointed. Not that the El Greco is bad by any stretch of the imagination! The staff were friendly, the facilities (7 pools??) were great, the food adequate. The El Greco reminded us of some of the nicer Cuban resorts we have visited in the past. But when in Santorini the most spectacular feature is the caldera! There are many, many hotels in Fira and Oia that overlook the sea and we really wished we had that amazing view from our room, and that we were actually IN one of these towns. Instead, we were on the ground floor, overlooking a pool - pretty disappointing in contrast to what is available very nearby. The other very significant issue is the walk into town from the hotel - the road in front of the hotel is quite busy with people driving with inconsistent driving skills (at one point a speeding car popped up the curb in front of us and the sidewalk as the driver took a corner too sharply). Having an 8yr old with us, we were pretty freaked out every time we took the 15 minute walk into town! If I were to return to Santorini, I would ensure we were based in a hotel IN the town, not just for the views but to avoid this walk.

The good things about our stay in Santorini far outweigh the bad by a large margin. Highlights: the views of the caldera, the unbelievable cities on the cliff tops, the black beaches, the red beach, the vineyards, the prehistoric museum (really worth a visit if only to learn about the incredible matriarchical society that originally populated the island). Unforgettable. Just out of this world amazing. Now here are a couple things that were less outstanding (note they have nothing to do with the El Greco)

I have to say, we were less impressed with how we were treated by the locals in Santorini compared with Mykonos. In Mykonos we were greated with great friendliness and did not feel like we were simply $$$ to the locals. In Santorini, particularly in Fira, we felt more like faceless tourists to the locals - almost as though the Greeks liked our money but were a bit less enthusiastic about actually having tourists there! It was a little weird. We DID meet absolutely wonderful, friendly locals - but this was more the exception than the rule (unlike in Mykonos). At one point we overheard an argument between the owner of a restaurant (I think the restaurant was called Nikos) and a british tourist - the subject of the argument, was that the brit had tried to speak Greek, and the restuarant owner was ridiculing her saying she has no right to try to speak Greek! This was just bizarre to us... then again, maybe the restaurant owner was just having a bad day and was tired of our clumsy attempts at speaking Greek.

Finally... the buses. From what I saw, 95% of the people taking the buses were foreign tourists. And yet, the bus station is choatic and confusing - and the people working there behave as though they are annoyed with the tourists asking what bus to take! Could it be they take a perverse pleasure in watching the tourists fumble around? Surely they could improve the service so it is more obvious to tourists which bus they need to take! It would take little effort to make the buses more tourist friendly, and it would have improved our enjoyment of Santorini.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family