“A Special place on a Special Island”
Review of Hotel Kavalari

Hotel Kavalari
Ranked #38 of 80 Hotels in Fira
Wine Country, California
“A Special place on a Special Island”
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I have been going to Greece for many years, mostly for vacation. The HOTEL KAVALARI is a true gem. I love the Traditional Greek feeling, with some modern amenities. When I travel to another country, I don't expect things to be like home. If I did, I'd stay home !
The view is exceptional ~ on the rim of a volcano! the rooms are clean, and each one is different, and built in the traditional style of a 'cave room'. The staff is wonderful ~ the owner Fanis, James, and Anna ~ all very helpful no matter what you need. Breakfast on the terrace is fabulous, and the perfect way to start your day..... watching the island come to life.
The Hotel Kavalari is located in the town, and is walking distance to everything. I can not say enough about this wonderful place..... I feel like it's my second home!

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, you may want to contact the hotel directly (email or phone), and se...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andrea N

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Hotel Kavalari is well situated in the town center of Fira with a spectacular view of the water and sunset. We were unsure where to stay and settled on Fira due to being able to get a better rate on hotels, glad we did as being in Fira puts you at a center point of the island and allows you to get to the beaches in the south quickly or the town of Oia up north in under 30 minutes (on ATVs).

The hotel itself is small with beautiful common areas to enjoy the views of the water, the cliffs of the potted plants the hotel has taken a lot of care in developing. If you can get a room with its own balcony I would recommend it. Breakfast is included and was a very nice mixture of greek yogurt, fruit and breads. Staff was very helpful and the small bottle of win upon check in was a nice touch.

I would not recommend this to someone who needs a large bathroom nor someone who wants to sleep with the windows open as the sounds from the tavernas in Fira make it to your room - closing the windows does block out all sound though.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a private balcony.
2 Thank ChicagoIllini
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviewed 29 September 2011

A real gem of a hotel with fantastic views of the caldera and sunsets. The staff and owners are pleasant and accommodating. Be prepared for lots of stairs depending on what level your room is situated. Thankfully, the porter was young and strong and carried all our luggage. All levels have some sort of terrace with table, chairs, lounge furniture. Our room was a suite and furnished with what looked like antique dressers, daybed, table and chairs and simple platform bed. The mattress was adequate but not the most comfortable. There was a small kitchenette. Breakfast was served on the terrace right outside our room and was superb...even had fresh squeezed orange juice and the biggest croissants I have ever seen.
It also was peaceful even though crowds of people were walking along the main street right above us. Just the place to relax and daydream while gazing at one of the most beautiful views in the world.

Room Tip: Be sure to check with the hotel about size and location level of rooms. Not a good choice for anyone...
1 Thank Zen22
Copenhagen
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We had a large room for 4 persons, cosy and quiet which is not always the case in other hotels on the Caldera. The room was carved in the mountain with a high celling and the temperature was naturally pleasant without the a/c. The room had two levels (3 steps up and a low wall) which gives a feeling of privacy though in the same room. The terraces were large and equipped with many deck chairs for common use. The common spa provided a nice refreshment after a long day walking along the cliff.
We had no problem with our room being almost at the bottom as a porter was available to carry the luggage. We had to walk a hundred steps up to the reception, but then we would take your time and enjoy the view along the way!
The breakfast was the best we had in a long time in a hotel. Overall we had a great stay and I would recommend this hotel for people who want to experience a place with an authentic atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Pascale L
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We arrived at the bus station in Fira, and we had trouble locating Hotel Kavalari, as there were no directions from the website or on the internet. I would say that if you head west (uphill), cross the street towards the Museum of Ancient Fira, then keep walking uphill, you'll start to see a fancy hotel and a street of shops. If you turn right onto the street of shops, then within about 20 steps, you'll see a sign for Hotel Kavalari on the left.

You'll go into the gate marked Hotel Kavalari, then down a half flight of stairs to the reception area. The remaining rooms are located on sucessively lower floors. I had read the previous reviews on Trip Advisor, and one person suggested to ask for a room at the bottom; unfortunately I took that advice, which meant that our luggage had to be dragged down about 5 flights of stairs, and when we checked out, we then had to drag the luggage up 5 flights of stairs. Also, if you want to exit the hotel and walk through the streets, you'll have to walk up to the reception area and exit the gate, which is at the top. So I would advise you to ask for a room on a higher floor to save you the trouble of walking up and down.

We really enjoyed Hotel Kavalari. There were about 4 or 5 different levels, where rooms were located on, and each had a shared terrace. So you could buy your dinner, bring it back to the hotel, select a seat on any of these terraces, and enjoy the sunset. If you are looking for a place to enjoy the caldera, I think this hotel offers a great view from the terraces. I don't know how the views are from each individual room, though.

The breakfast was amazing and consisted of coffee, orange juice, yogurt with honey and sugar, fresh fruit, croissants, and other breads. There were only two guys in charge of breakfast, and one guy was the one serving each person their breakfast. He brought each person's food out one-by-one, which took some time. If you are in a hurry and need to leave to catch a ferry or tour, I would advise telling them that you'd like your breakfast as soon as possible, because you'll need to leave by a specific time.

Our room was clean and neat, and we really enjoyed the toiletries provided. My only criticism is that the air vent in the bathroom was full of dirt and dust on the vent itself. The vent looked quite dirty, and it made the bathroom seem dirty, even though it was probably very clean. I used some soap and water to clean the vent, and then the bathroom looked much better overall. If I had brought some q-tips or a spare toothbrush, then I would have used that to clean the vent. Anyway, if Hotel Kavalari could try to clean the vents of their rooms, then everything would seem clearn and spotless. I'm sure people would really appreciate it!

It was an overall great experience.

3 Thank NYCProfessor
New York, NY
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is my second stay at Kavalari Hotel, and I would still recommend the hotel. It has one of the best views and positions on the caldera and the hotel itself is beautifully planted with flowers that help make for stunning photos. The owner and managers are very friendly, informative, and polite; The reception manager was extremely helpful--he suggested great places to eat and see and he was spot on!

The breakfast is delicious--best croissants I've ever had anywhere--crisp on the outside, soft and almost gooey on the inside!! The views in the outside breakfast area every morning are absoultely stunning--something indescribable and remind you why staying on the caldera is so amazing in the first place.

The hotel has traditional rooms and I love the feel of opening your wooden door to a room that feels like it is carved out of the mountain. My one suggestion for the hotel would be for them to consider updating the rooms a bit. I wouldn't want them to lose their traditional flavor, furniture, etc., or turn into one of those ultra-modern decorated hotels, but it would be great if some of the little things were updated: replace faded artwork prints, add better mattresses (the one we had was thin and uncomfortable), some fresh paint here and there, etc. These small changes would make a big impact and help match the inside of the rooms to the outside of the hotel.

2 Thank BillyinNYC
boston
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This hotel was clean and beautiful and the view was to die for!! We got a room with a balcony built into the cliff and just couldnt believe the view was real. The front desk is very helpful and extremely nice! Definitely would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple