“The perfect place, beautiful view”
Review of Hotel Kavalari

Hotel Kavalari
Ranked #35 of 79 Hotels in Fira
Minneapolis, MN
“The perfect place, beautiful view”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in early June. We loved our stay at this hotel. Frankly, Anna was the most friendly, helpful and welcoming person. She is great at her job and made our stay more enjoyable. She truly understands customer service. She upgraded our room to an apartment room which was a nice treat (If you can book room 12, it's wonderful.), gave us information on the local sites and directions to the grocery stores. She was also kind enough to store our bags for us the next day since our ferry didn’t leave until the late afternoon. The baggage gentleman from the Ukraine was also very nice and helpful. If you’re concerned about all the steps and how you’ll carry your bags, don’t let that deter you as they have a staff member who will carry your bags for you. Wonderful staff overall. The location of this hotel was perfect and the hotel was quiet since the street in front of it does not allow vehicles and is only open to foot traffic. The hotel is only a couple of blocks from the main bus terminal which makes it even more convenient. There’s no need to rent a car in Santorini since the buses run everywhere with a frequent and very reliable schedule.

If you go to Santorini you have to stay at a hotel on the cliff of the caldera, because that view is what makes Santorini such an incredible island. The view was amazing from our terrace, I could have sat there all day just admiring the view. Plus with the room being built into the side of the cliff it makes it a rather unique room and adds to the experience.

I could not say enough good about this hotel and the service we received. I do not feel we could have chosen a better hotel or had a better experience. If I ever return to Santorini I wouldn’t even bother with trying to find any other hotel as I don’t think I could find one in a better location or more beautiful. If I could give more than 5 stars I would as this place and the service certainly deserves it. My only regret is that I did not stay there longer.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Beautiful terraces with stunning views over the Caldera and glorious sunsets. My husband and I were upgraded to the cave room, which was cool and spacious. Watching the sunset on the terrace with a glass of wine is unforgettable. Great location. Very nice breakfasts. All the staff were warm and accommodating. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VAS2011
Corinth, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I arrived in Fira by bus from the airport and made my way up the hill to a main street that runs along the cliff. The hotel entrance was down the road about 100 meters to the right. I was greeted by Anna who made me feel right at home. A porter carried my bag down three levels to my room which shared a common terrace that looked like a small garden with a great view of the caldera. I loved it! As expected the room was not fancy but it was certainly clean and comfortable. For my 4 night stay I found that it more than met my needs. Potential guests should be aware that all hotels on the cliff have stairs to deal with. This should be considered if you have health issues or not in good physical shape.

The morning breakfast was an average continental type that included rolls, fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, coffee / tea and fresh squeezed orange juice. It worked well for me.

The bottom line is that friendly staff, and an amazing view, combined with a clean, comfortable and affordable rooms added up to me being a happy customer who would love to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the top of the cliff if you have trouble with stairs.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank mgarg
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Kavalari in May 2012, and were blown away by its beauty. We are both in our early 20's, and had picked this hotel because of its affordable rates for rooms with a double (full) bed, but we could not believe what we got for our money! The location is unbelievable- right in the heart of Fira but a little further from some of the noisier, cramped streets (it's located right across from the huge Greek Orthodox church, an easy point of reference on any map or Fira). We found the service to be exceptional. One front desk employee, James, is an American ex-pat, and was very helpful. He gave great advice to inexperienced tourists like ourselves. The staff was happy to help us book cabs to the port, give us recommendations about excursions, and direct us to great restaurants in the area. We were upgraded for free to an executive double (Room 14), which was great! The room was clean and tastefully decorated, but the real treat was our own private balcony that overlooked the beautiful terrace and entire caldera- perfect for sunset wine! Also don't miss the complimentary breakfast- croissants, Greek yogurt, fruit, spinach pies, and fresh coffee!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Molly R
Fremont, California
Reviewed 9 June 2012

It seems everyone in Fira town knows this hotel, it is very easy to find this hotel, or simply asked people, they would nicely pointed you to the right direction, if you take the bus to fira.

You can have the sunset view right at the public terrace, outside of your room, also it's where to have breakfast too.

We have a cave room, oh and getting down to our room...it's a bit of exercise, but hotel staff will help you with the luggage, sorry I forget his name, he also serves our breakfast, poor guy have to lift our heavy luggage up and down!!! Does he do all the things by himself? carrying the luggage also serving breakfast!! ( I feel sorry for him tho, so tip him well!)

Okay, about the room, we need to climb a narrow ladder to get up to the bed, I guess it would be not easy for old people or overweight.

But we found it interesting, got to experience the traditional greek style.

the only thing i dont like is the bathroom, too small !!!!!

When taking the shower, I barely can move.

Well, its all about the view here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank yauany
Mermaid Beach, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Arrived late (10:30pm) and staff were very accommodating. Based on reviews we expected alot from the rooms but were disappointed upon arrival. Room 14 has amazing views but very basic and a disapointing layout ( had to climb over my husband to use the bathroom at night). Balcony has a great view but is extremely cramped (approx 70cm in depth). Bathrooms need a massive rethink, my husband knocked himself out with the window being open while getting up off the toilet (we are only in our 20's and not at all tall) and the shower curtain needs to be a screen. Breakfast was amazing! Would recommend but not to the grand expectation.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stu Anna C
Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

Great hotel! Right on the lip of the caldera, amazing views, great staff, comfy rooms, great breakfast! I stayed for two nights with my mom and aunt (both over 70), and the steps were tall, but they managed just fine! James and Anna had great suggestions for restaurants, car rentals, sightseeing plans, etc. I will go back!

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family