“Treated terribly”

Ranked #25 of 79 Hotels in Fira
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Treated terribly”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We booked at the Cosmopolitan and got a great rate! We were so excited. I later read reviews about a "bait n switch" programme that the hotel has been known for whereby they take bookings for this hotel and then when guests arrive they explain the hotel has been "overbooked" and switch guests to a lesser sister hotel. We were travelling from New Zealand and I was determined this wouldn't happen to us so I emailed the hotel and asked them to confirm my booking-which they did. We arrived at the hotel, our welcome was wonderful, the views to die for. After our first night we were summoned to the office and told the room downstairs from ours had a plumbing issue and both rooms needed to be evacuated and (surprise surprise) we would have to be transferred to another hotel (I was suspicious). I spoke to the couple downstairs, they had no issue and said they were not moving. We confronted the manager and she said we had to move because of plumbing and "electric safety". My partner works in the electrical industry he knows there were no issues. To cut a long , sad, frustrating story short we moved ( AND the other couple stayed AND two days later we saw people on "our balcony". If this wasn't bad enough... Before we could leave the hotel they tried to charge our credit card for the remaining days of our stay. We said we weren't prepared to pay for accommodation we hadn't seen yet and that we would authorise the payment the following day IF we were happy with the new hotel. The 2nd hotel was vastly inferior but despite our saying we weren't prepared to pay the same amount for inferior accommodation they had already charged our credit card for the full amount. We asked the hotel and the manager to review their decision but they flatly refused. This nasty experience soured our whole memory of Santorini. This hotel will play nice if you pay full price but beware of any discounts as you will end victims like us and countless others. Horribly disappointed.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
95 Thank Kaz T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stay in October 2013, and let me the you that the hotel is excellent the view that all rooms have are just what you expect. you can really enjoy the sunset from your rooms, the hotel is really in the center of the action, you have excellent shopping's, bars, and restaurants 10 mins from the hotel.
The service that the team at the hotel gives is overrated, they are really in charge of giving you the best possible vacations.

Room Tip: Pls ask the rooms that are just beside the pool. So you can enjoy the pool and feel that you are sti...
2 Thank Pablo1808
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 24 October 2013

It is not often that the hotel exceeds your expectations and is better than the glossy brochure or internet website!
Stunning location, ease of access, close to township, great food, complimentary upgrade and professional, polite and welcoming staff. What more could we have asked for !
Prior to travelling to Santorini I did SO MUCH research as ease of access to and around hotel was very important to me and my husband. I had heard about the 'stairs' on other hotel reviews and wanted to minimise these. I contacted Elina direct and spoke with her about this. Elina was very efficient and helpful.
Put this one on the 'bucket list' you won;t be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms around pool area are small and not very private as people walk past to access their rooms and...
5 Thank Cathie M
Closter, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a small, very cozy place with the best service and view, this is the place to be. Although the room seemed a bit small and the hotel in itself is very small, it was just enough for four of us to be in two separate rooms. The service is excellent and we loved how the made breakfast for us at 5 in the am bc we had to leave at 5:30.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Serrah C
Singapore
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Like most of the reviews here, I simply run out of superlatives when I talk about my 4-night stay at Cosmopolitan.

It was simply amazing from start to finish. Despite arriving and leaving very early in the morning, the staff were always on-hand to cater to our needs and more. We were so impressed with the quality of the service that initially we thought we were at the wrong place or they had mistook my fiancee and I for some VIPs.

I was not expecting a free room upgrade, but I'm certain that even without an upgrade, it wouldn't have been any less of an experience. The room was much bigger than what we needed, but yet it gave a homely and cosy feel. Not to mention the comfy beds, cushions, and very nice touches with the furniture.

Now imagine "a sunset view from an infinity pool". I don't need to stay at a second hotel to know that I won't find a place with a better view of the caldera and its famous sunsets than at Cosmo. What I did do was to travel up to see Oia's "famous" sunsets - it just couldn't hold a candle to Cosmo's.

With unbelievable views, top-notch service, fantastic value for your buck, and a location smack in the thick of the action, yet so peaceful and tranquil, there really is no question to where I'll be staying the next time I'm in Santorini.

Now that you're done with this review, go ahead and make a booking here. There's nothing better than to experience it yourself.

3 Thank iamlcc
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This place was seriously amazing! The walk up the hill to get there was a bit of a surprise but well worth it when we got to our hotel and walked in.
We were greated with a glass of champagne and finally saw the amazing view we were hoping to have. Words cannot describe how amazing this was. Seriously it would easily be hands down the best available view within Fira which is the city part. Its practically in the city which was amazing for us.
Not only this but the hotel manager Elina was easily the best manager I have ever met and had on my whole trip around Europe. She managed and sorted us out with anything we needed and recommended great food places and activities to do
Seriously one of the best experiences not only I had but my best mate had as well. It was amazing being at that hotel because having breakfast with that kind of view was just priceless

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michael G
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 14 October 2013

It was sooooooo amazing there. The service was excellent. The hotel area is really beautiful. The view over the infitiy pool to the sea is awesome . I was impressed & really excited. There is so much hospitality. It was perfect! Absolut recommendable!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends