“A Sanctuary from the Crowds”

The Santozeum Museum
Ranked #36 of 54 things to do in Fira
More attraction details
Owner description: Contains copies and descriptions of Akotiri frescoes and video presentation on Princeton computer project that helped piece the artifacts.
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stumbled upon this place our last day in Fira. For 5 euros you get to look at recreations of wall painting from ancient Thira and a chance to see how the originals were painstakingly assembled from fragments. There is also a wonderful outdoor terrace shaded from the sun in the afternoon so this is a perfect refuge from the afternoon intense heat and Cruise liner crowds!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I loved my visit to the Santozeum. I especially enjoyed the booklet they lend you. It contains a wealth of information about the wall paintings and it made me appreciate the little details I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

It's a shame they are replicas, but at the same time, you can get much closer and observe them without a glass pane altering your experience.

I also loved the little courtyard with chairs. The view was amazing and I took my favourite picture of the volcano there!

I recommend it, if you haven't had a guided visit of Akrotiri or if you haven't read on the subject extensively.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Very interesting reproductions of ancient fresco's. Their very real looking and the techniques used to creat them was shown. Pretty neat. Go see for yourself. Worth while.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I know there are a lot of places on earth worth seeing, but on Santorini, this is the place to visit, in my opinion. The frescos are beautiful, the building is amazing, the only problem is that you have to take your own pictures, there are no catalogues available, the only information you get is written on a piece of paper that has to be returned at the end of the tour.