“Nothing to see here, move on!”
Review of Don & Donna

Don & Donna
Ranked #158 of 181 Restaurants in Fira
Price range: US$39 - US$90
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: From 1984 until today we learned to offer you something that will capture your mind and soul in Santorini.
“Nothing to see here, move on!”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

A truly Fawlty Towers experience with a huge price tag. Apart from the attentive younger wait staff, the owners are rude, pushy and obnoxious. The food was awful and the older guy who took our orders even tried to deliver extra courses and drinks that we didn't order.

Like other reviews I wish we had read them before we went. But I've learnt my lesson!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Matt O

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
London
“STAY AWAY!”
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

Awful awful awful! What attracted us initially was the charcoal and fresh fish...

There are many members of staff hovering around the entrance - all overly friendly & really quite OTT for the overall vibe of santorini which is super chilled & classy.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, the prices seemed high but thought it could be expected with the view.

Eccentric waiter went through the menu & recommended the most expensive dishes. We didn't want starters so ordered charcoaled fish with chips & salad (much to eccentric waiters disappointment). He tried to encourage us to order wine but when we said no he squeezed mine & my mothers cheeks. Just no. Instinctively we should have left at that moment.

So at 9pm our chips & salad were brought to the table. 10 minutes later we were still waiting for our fish. We had intended on eating our main course of fish with the chips & salad. We asked the whereabouts of the fish & was told it was being cooked. We explained that the chips & salad were the sides & therefore illogical to be waiting for the main for so long. Eventually at 9:20 the fish arrived (in those stupid silver lidded serving trays). We expressed our dismay to a waiter who displayed minimum empathy.

When the bill came it was €110. Overpriced for such poor service and average food. We discussed this with the manager who did not acknowledge the poor service or offer to reduce the bill. So reluctantly we paid & left.

Just avoid this place at all costs.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank HanifeLondon
“Worst experience in Santorini”
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We stopped here as we were walking up from the old port and it looked like a nice place to watch the sun set. They had a sign advertising cactus drinks, which we had never had before, so we decided to stop. The view was lovely, and the cactus drinks were good. The point that the evening soured was when we asked for the bill. We were charged 70 euros for one salad and cocktails. Although this is unreasonably priced, perhaps I could be blamed for not checking the prices beforehand. What I can not be blamed for is that when I tried to pay this preposterous bill with a credit card, I was told that they only accept cash. I did not have that much cash on me, and I was directed back into Fira and to the nearest bank machine. The fact that this place charges ridiculous prices for average fare is bad enough, but when they then demand cash for bills near, or over, 100 euros (the server claimed that the bank won't let them have a credit card machine) made me leave this place in a bad mood.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Kurt R
Sydney, Australia
“Day light robbery”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Our recent holiday in Santorini was truly magical, until we stepped foot into this place.

One night we felt like sweets and strolled past Don & Donna and spotted some sweet Greek Pastries. The cafe is perched high on the Caldera and looked gorgeous. A lovely lady greeted us and asked us if we would like to sit down for some dessert and coffee. Wonderful we thought. We picked 2 small pastries and the lady told us she would make us a 'delicious Santorini coffee'. The cafe was fairly empty, so we sat on a corner table - it was a table for 4, but as there was barely anyone else in there (and it was quite late at night as well) we thought it would be OK to sit there. So it all goes downhill from here...

An older man walks up to our table and stares at us rudly, he then says - "this is a table of 4, could you please move to the next table" - all the while, the lovely lady who greeted us was yelling to him in Greek (presumably telling him to not move us). She then comes out and moves us again, down the stairs to the next level. I didn't feel happy about the service already at this stage - and as mentioned the cafe was practically empty.

Our cakes come out - covered in loads of ice cream and drenched in a sickly sweet toffee type sauce. The Greek cakes are already made with a sweet syrup so we were unsure why they drenched them in another type of sweet sauce. The cakes didn't taste fresh and we couldn't finish them. The coffees on the other hand were delicious. We also ordered only 1 bottle of water, but they brought out 2. We told our waiter we didn't order 2 and his reply was "we brought out 2 incase you wanted another one, to avoid us walking up and down the stairs" - we told him to take it back.

When we finished up we went to the counter to pay - the lady asked us if we enjoyed the coffees, she then mentioned that they were made with cactus juice. My husband paid and we walked away, he then told me it cost 50 EUROs to have 2 small cakes and 2 coffees and 1 bottle of water!!! We had a 2 course dinner plus wine just a few hours before, for little more than 50 Euros. My jaw literally dropped, we did not stop talking about it for the rest of the way to the hotel, as we were in so much shock. She charged 15 EURO per pastry and 10 EURO for each coffee. Our mistake was that we didn't ask for the cost before we sat down at this place.

I want to warn everybody to not set foot in this place, they will truly rob you of your Euros and on top of that the cakes were of very poor quality and freshness.

There is a lovely cafe in Oia that also sell sweets - I forgot the name, but we paid 2.50 EURO for the most delicious pastry I have ever tried.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Dalmatinka_81
New York City, New York
“Run Like you are on Fire”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

As I read the above reviews I see that I'm flogging a dead horse, but it is a Dead horse that deserves a good flogging. On the plus side the restaurant is among the most beautiful I have ever seen. Clutched on the caldera-facing cliffside of Fira, the design and layout will take your breath away. if you happen you walk by it and see it from the outside, you can walk straight past, knowing that you have already experienced the best this place has to offer. We were not so lucky.
Upon approaching we were met by a glad-handy stout man in a with a traditional kerchief that bordered on cliche,. he swept us into the restaurant and "offered" a traditional santorini apperitif. His cadence suggested that this might be a complimentary offering and we hoped so desperately when were were faced with our tepid, milky "Traditional" drinks. They were finished with milk and cinnamon and reminded me of something teenagers would mix out of the remains of their parent's liquor cabinet. we later found we were charged 13 Euro each for these. I winced a little when I considered the crisp elegant cocktail I could have purchased in New York for the same bloated cost.
This was the beginning of a comedically tragic dinner, I only wish I would have pulled the chute here, we would have only had a 52 euro tab and a funny story. instead were were seduced by the view and stayed for an astronomically expensive meal with food that I would have expected from Dave and Busters in Time square. our horrible meal was punctuated by an interruption from some one who introduced herself as one of the owners before she began screaming like a Disney villainess at the hard-working an (and friendly) bussing staff, to "BRING THE VERSACE PLATES!". (the food was served on elegant Versace dishware which only enhanced its horribleness by contrast.).
After pointing out that terribleness of our meal to a poor lacky who was sent to us by the Glad-handy man (who was peering evilly at us from the top of the restaurant with his own take on the Disney Villian, and who I can only think was also probably an owner) we were assured that Don & Donna had no bad reviews, which, after reading the above, means he is either a blatant liar or pitifully ignorant.
Either way please allow our terrible experience to serve as a warning to any curious foodies who might be roped in by the gorgeous scenery. Unless you have a hankering for some grossly overpriced dinner theatre featuring two overwrought villains and some salty , hazardous, offensive food on versace plates, avoid this place like the Bubonic, swine-flu, genital herpes PLAGUE!

• Visited July 2013