“Very nice hotel run by very nice people”
Review of Hotel Golden Star

Hotel Golden Star
Ranked #56 of 79 Hotels in Fira
australia
“Very nice hotel run by very nice people”
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Stayed here in early August 2012. Very nice hotel. Rooms were small but very clean. The pool area is excellent. Very good location within 5-10 minutes of walking to main centre. The best thing about this hotel is the family that run it. They are very caring people. Katerina at the front desk works day and night and nothing is too hard for her. We stayed in around 10 hotels on our european vacation and this was in the top 2 for value. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Golden Star in the last week of August, 2012. I booked online, after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, and I was most pleased with all that awaited us. Although the rooms were basic they were very clean, the breakfast was more than enough for us, the staff very friendly and happy to assist with our queries/plans and the location very central to the main town of Fira (a short uphill walk-you need to be somewhat fit- to the shops, tavernas, buses, caldera views etc). The pool was the highlight of our stay as it was quite hot and it was lovely to be able to come out of our room and dive straight in the cool water or lounge in the shade. Our holiday snaps look fantastic around the pool, with the traditional Cycladic hotel in the background.
Most definitely would be recommending Hotel Golden Star to family and friends.

Room Tip: Request for a room with a balcony to enjoy the early morning/late afternoon views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Helen K
Baltimore
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I was unexpectedly greeted at my ferry by transport to the hotel. I had only noted in my booking that I'd be arriving by ferry, so that was a nice surprise. I'd also underestimated the trip from the port: it's in front of a huge cliff, so I'd have definitely had to get a taxi had the driver not been there. The location is down a somewhat steep hill from the Main street so that is something to consider for those who have a lot of difficulty getting around. There is a little bodega just around the corner. The hotel was a quaint little place that showed some age but had loads of charm. The room was clean and cute and had a mini fridge. There was a lovely pool and I had a small balcony that had a sea view even though I was on the lower floor. The staff was very friendly and helpful (though they were almost mocking me for suggesting I'd be hiking to Oia, which I did end up doing.) I spent some time chatting with the girl at the desk on my way out and she was so pleasant and sweet. I was offered a free ride back to the port but opted to leave a little later since the ferry wasn't due for hours. The taxi ride was 10 euro. I'd definitely return to Golden Star.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The hotel is well located, just a small walk to the center of Fira. Further, the pool is a good size for the hotel. The rooms are what you pay for, but a nice suprise was a balony with sea views. The best attraction of Hotel Golden Star was all the staff were a family. The receptionist was lovely and showed you everything to do around Santorini on a map and the brother came and collected us from the airport and took us to the hotel. There was also free transfer to the port when we left. All in all our stay was really good value at a nice family hotel.

Room Tip: Try get a room on the bottom floor, so you have a door straight on the pool deck
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 26 September 2012

The hotel is well located, within walking distance from supermarket, bus station, old port, shops and restaurants.
Nice swimming pool, specially for those sunny days when beach is not an option and you just feel like jumping into the water.
WHen the ferry arrived, I thought I would never find the person from Golden Star between so many people. But he did find us and it was completely stress-free to get from the port to the hotel. Same happened when departing.Transfer was for free.
When we got to the hotel, Katherine, at the reception, gave us a good idea on how to move in Fira, and she was always helpful when we needed additional help or information.
The (spacious) room and (tight) bathroom are not trendy, but they're ok for this knid of hotel. I recommend it, specially if you're travelling with kids, like I was!

Room Tip: I stayed in the lower level which proved to be very good for kids access to the swimming pool
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The rooms of this hotel were excellent, clean and spacious with a little balcony with a sea view that you could sit on and relax. Also, the pool was big and very clean, with an excellent adjacent space. Moreover, the staff was lovely, and were treating us really nicely. When we arrived, they gave us a map of the area and of the whole of Santorini and showed us all the places we might like to go, and also gave us some free drinks and fruits. The hotel was inside Fira, meaning that we were close to all the restaurants, shops, the bus station, and the old port. Finally, on the last day they gave us a free lift to the port from where I was leaving and the driver waited for my boat to leave and then gave another lift to my boyfriend to the airport because he was leaving from there! Overall we had a lovely stay and we would definitely visit this hotel, which was great value for money!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CassiopeiaBlack
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Spent 2 nights in Santorini. Our room had one double bed and one single bed, very comfortable. Decoration was really outdated and the lightning was old and dark. Shower space was really little, I've had trouble trying to wash myself. None of this was relevant to me, but it may be for you.

Rooms are in front of this beautiful pool, which is quite nice to sunbathe, have a swim and relax.

Location is really good, 5 min walk to Fira main street where all restaurants and bars are located, and really quiet at night.

Katherina, the hostess, made an awesome job at showing us every direction, arranging the car rental (which I recommend to get to know all Santorini beaches, theyre far from each other and taxi is expensive), complimentary airport shuttle, food delivery and just about everything we needed. It is a family run, welcoming place.

Would stay there next time in Santorini, specially when avoiding the horrendous room rates at high season that most hotels charge.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends