“Clean, close to town and cheap!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Sky Hotel

Blue Sky Hotel
Ranked #77 of 80 Hotels in Fira
“Clean, close to town and cheap!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2009

This being our first trip to Santorini, we weren't sure what to expect, but were very satisfied with Blue Sky Villas/Hotel. We honestly booked the room for the cheap rate (40 euro/night), but ended up staying 3 more nights. We ended up in Santorini again during our trip and Blue Sky accommodated our last minute room need. A few things to keep in mind when booking a room in Fira: (1) access to the hotels on the caldera is limited by car therefore you (or someone you pay/tip has to carry your luggage up/down MANY steps; (2) if you'll be staying for several days this challenge is worth the view!; (3) always check the location of the hotel in relation to the main town. Blue Sky was within walking distance (0.25 mi at most) of the main street, which we loved and was very convenient. Overall, a great value. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

We booked this hotel through a travel agency in Athens along with our ferry tickets. When we got to Santorini the bus from the hotel was there waiting to take us to the hotel, we checked in with no problems and had a very uneventful stay. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room and everything about it was OK. There did seem to be a lack of personnel around the hotel, the two times we tried to speak to someone in reception we were told to come back later because there was no one there. For a budget hotel Blue Sky is fine, I have no complaints about it but nothing stands out either.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

We arrived at Santorini port expecting to be met by Blue Sky hotels as we had transfers included in the price, once all the taxis left it was apparent that we would not be being collected. We eventually found a taxi and arrived at Blue Sky around 1:30pm to find the reception area completely closed, no one to check us in. A cleaner appeared and asked us if we had a reservation and then took us off to a room without asking who we were, she then began busily adding bedding to the room. The hotel was completely deserted apart from the 3 of us. We went back to the reception on 4 occasions throughout the night and still nobody was around to ask about transfers to the airport the following day,
Breakfast was very basic, bread, cheese and drinks and was severed by the cleaner who had shown us to the room the previous day. Still no one around to ask about transfers.
Eventually the owner arrived in reception, not the friendliest woman in the world, and we were able to get our questions answered and sorted out our airport transfers.
This hotel needs to learn some customer service skills !!!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank EmmaD79

Travellers are raving about these Fira hotels

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

I stayed here with a friend over Easter weekend. While, it was still offseason the weather was fabulous, even thoug the pool was still empty for the "winter" (if you can call it that there!). The staff was polite and helpful and the breakfast food was simple but filling. The double room had two fullsize beds and I think you could have eaten off the floor! We stayed three nights and were sad to leave. They picked us up at the ferry docks and transportation was easily arranged back to the docks when we left. Paid about 25 euro per night for 3 nights - it was a steal!

Great family run business. I seem to remember they made us pay with plastic instead of cash, which is somewhat annoying for a foreign traveler who gets slapped with ridiculosu fees by their American bank for every charge, but other than that, no complaints!

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
Redmond, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

After reading several reviews online for hotels in Greece I anticipated the standard double room to be small, have two twins and a shower that leaked everywhere. These are the expectations that I set.

We arrived in Fira in the off season so finding a hotel that was open was difficult for a laundry mat pointed us the right direction and we found Blue Sky.

It looked really nice and we got a room for only 35 euro which was cheaper than the hotel we had on Crete so we were super excited.

The room, of course, was small and had a shower that leaked everywhere but it actually had a double bed which was nice.

We didn't have any issues with the staff, but then again we did our own thing and only saw them as we were coming and going.

The rooms were cleaned each day which was nice, but not necessary for us. They didn't change the sheets or anything, just gave new towels and put the sheets back on the bed. Nothing fancy.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the dirty shower curtain
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2008

We booked Hotel Lignos online which was seemed very budgeted. i emailed them a few times prior to the trip to ask if there was airport transfer to the hotel and after the 3rd email, they replied "ok". However, on arrival at Santorini airport, no one showed up and when I called the hotel, no one picked up either. After an hour of waiting around, eventually took the public bus (KTEA) into town (EUR 1.40pp). On arrival, we got told the hotel is full and transferred us to Hotel BlueSky which is 200m further away from Lignos (but still quite close). The receptionist was rude. when I got to Blue Sky hotel, to my surprise the room was actually quite clean, with TV, aircon and a good shower. The breakfast was horrible though (just bread and jam and some ham which has gone bad). On my leave, I asked if there was hotel transfer to the airport and they said "NO", "only transfer to the port". I guess overall, you need to have certain expectations of their service (low) and be prepared for no transfers to the airport (some other hotels do it for free, which could save you a lot, considering a taxi to the airport is EUR 12 per way). The pool also looked unclean.

• Stayed September 2008
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Dazzar
canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2008

The owner of this hotel is very rude, unhelpful, and lacking any idea of customer service. Here's my experience dealing with this hotel:

On September 20,2008, I arrived in Thira, Santorini at 0300.There was nobody there for a pick-up from Bkue Sky Hotel (as I had booked and requested on bookings.com). I went to the only Tour Operator that was open in the port, and they were nice enough to drive up to the hotel for a charge of 'only' 20euros. I got to the hotel at approximately 0400, where the reception was closed. We called the hotel telephone and the owner said *wait outside and I will be there in a few minutes*. I waited 15minutes and she finally came (dressed like I had interrupted her very expensive night out). She said very aggresively *follow me*. I followed her to the lobby of the hotel where she angrily berated me that I came in too early to Santorini and my hotel is from 12pm (8 hours later). I told her I would pay for the one night, and that all the scheduled ferries arrived after midnight on the island. She did not care, said the hotel was full (highly unlikeyly according to the tour operator, this late in sept). I asked her again if I can stay anywhere, she said *the hotel is completely full* I said to her its 0400 in the morning, I am a woman by myself, where I am going to go at this time??? She angrily looked at me and said I don't care. I was shocked. She said you can leave your bags in the lobby but you have to stay outside until you get your hotel room at 1200. I was so angry I couldnt believe what this completely uncaring and aggressive woman was doing. I stayed outside the hotel until 0600 when the sun came out. I grabbed my bags and decided to leave the island for good. I was appalled at the treatment from this "propietor" . The prices are very expensive on the island and the service is awful for the money us hard working tourists pay. There are so may beautiful islands in Greece, I would never never go there again. All tourists should know about Greek National Tourist Organization, they take all tourist complaints.

Stayed September 2008