“This is the place to stay”
Review of Hotel Thireas

Hotel Thireas
Ranked #8 of 51 Fira B&B and Inns
Des Plaines, Illinois
“This is the place to stay”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I went here on my honeymoon. What a great place this was. The location is perfect. The view is exactly what you want on Santorini. The room was nice, very spacious, opened to a perfect balcony where breakfast was brought to us every morning. The staff was very nice, and the hotel manager was extremely helpful. It was as if carrying my own bags was actually a crime on the island! My wife and I went through a travel agent for our honeymoon, and she was spot on with Hotel Thireas. The honeymoon was awesome, and this hotel is one of the reasons why. Could not have been better. Santorini is such a beautiful place and great vacation spot, you don't want anything taken away from that by being unhappy with your hotel. You won't be at Hotel Thireas. Our stay there was really fantastic.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 13 July 2014

It took me forever to decide on a hotel in Fira and if anyone else is like me you will read hundreds of reviews before deciding. I almost didn't choose this hotel because of the high price but I don't regret spending the extra money at all!

The rooms are small but have everything you need, and note that the views are much better from the terrace than from the rooms. The bathroom was VERY small so anyone who is big may want to think twice!

The wifi in the rooms is fast but not available outside the room. The breakfast is amazing - coffee, orange juice, pastries, bread, condiments, egg, yoghurt - but it's the view for breakfast that makes it even better. Jacuzzi on the balcony makes the sunset even more enjoyable.

The hotel is a 10min walk from the bus stop that takes you to all other parts of the island. It's also close to everything in Fira BUT is still very quiet at night when you want to sleep. Great spot for solo travellers who want a bit of peace and quiet.

Anyone arriving at the airport be warned that it's better to make transfer plans in advance - otherwise you will have my experience of waiting around until a taxi driver decided it was worth his while to put you in a taxi along with 2 other strangers and drive you at the same time to your destination, then overcharge you when you get there. A strong piece of feedback from myself top the hotel would be that they should include an airport transfer in the hotel price - this will definitely help guests have a more enjoyable experience. 20 Euros is NOT worth booking the transfer directly with the hotel - the airport is only 10mins away.

The photos don't do this place justice - it's incredible - check out my photos attached to this review.

I only have 2 complaints about this hotel - one is that they really should advise visitors well in advance about the awful stairs you need to walk down to get to the hotel. I have problems with my wrist and I arrived late at night with no idea where the hotel was exactly (it's down a long flight of steep stairs) and so really hurt myself trying to get my suitcase down by myself. That being said, Dimitri HAD tried to call my phone the hour before but as I was in flight and can't MAKE international calls to call when I landed, it was a little too late - the hotel really should contact guests the day before. The second complaint is that upon leaving, I'd requested a taxi - but they don't give you a taxi, they give you a local driver who clearly shares the commission of the VERY EXPENSIVE drive with the hotel manager. It was not a nice way to end the trip - they didn't tell me how much it cost until I arrived at my destination - 20 Euros for a less than 10 minute drive - you are better off getting the bus for less than 2 euros. I would have given the hotel 5 stars if this hadn't happened or if I'd been warned about the high cost, particularly as I'd just given away most of my cash as a tip to the manager as a thank you for such good service.

But all that aside, I would definitely stay here again and I have already recommended it to all my friends and family!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
St.paul
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Family of 4 on vacation in Greece, with the last 5 days on Santorini staying at the Hotel Thireas. The location is great: easy access to lots of restaurants, bars, and shopping. The view is amazing. We stayed in the family cave - accommodated parents and two college age daughters. The staff were exceptional - Dimitris, the manager, was helpful with getting a car for a days driving about, information on restaurants and assisted with some work related IT issues. He and Linda also provided a special breakfast for my vegan daughter! Breakfast is provided and you sit up on the roof terrace overlooking the Caldera/Aegean sea. I will return to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel as part of a large family group of 8. The hotel is located in a very good position with excellent views of the caldera. The rooftop terrace with jaccuzi was perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks. The staff were very obliging and nothing was too much effort. Dimitri went out of his way to ensure we had a great few days. The hotel was clean and comfortable and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed in this small hotel to celebrate my birthday - Santorini had always been on my bucket list to do & we were not disappointed . The view from our room was sublime . We started off in the honeymoon suite as "our " room was occupied ( someone obviously had the great idea to stay longer so we were " upgraded " for 1 night ! ) & then moved1 floor down the next day - all done efficiently & unobtrusively . Our rooms whilst not large were clean & more than adequate, but the best feature was the sublime view looking out to sea & to the caldera . Dimitris the Manager met us at the top on our arrival to carry our bags down ( there are a lot of steps in Saqntorini !! ) & did the same when we left .He was great at booking us a restaurant for our 1 st nights stay - it was very handy - just back up a few steps to the R & to the R - the staff were very friendly here - it too had a great view & a very nice menu. It was lovely to hear wee bells tinkling & see the donkeys making their way both up & down in the morning & evening as they made their way to "work" .
Having breakfast every morning was a breeze - you just phoned up & a delicious continental breakfast was delivered promptly to your balcony & you just needed to sit & admire the view !
The hotel is at one end of the town ( the nearest end to being dropped off by taxi or private driver ) & immediately you at the top you just wend your way down the steps to the R . It is quite near a post office . It is a very close walk to the wee township which whilst being v obviously touristy still has a lot of charm .Lots of nice restaurants with magnificent views to choose from & easily within walking distance to the hotel.
Even though it is extremely touristy it is still great to take the cable car down to the port & get a donkey up ( the donkeys look well cared for ( if a little bored !) & apparently only do 3 trips each a day ) .Choose to do it when the cruise ships are not in as it is much quieter, no queues & cheaper then . Do wear long pants as your legs do tend to get hit against the wall when the donkeys get too close - I think a lot of people end up with bruises ! The cruise to the volcano was relaxing & interesting & it was lovely to look back at Santorini perched on the cliffs, however, I think the hot spring swim was a little overrated .
An excellent value hotel with a great balcony to sit on with a wine & watch the sublime sunsets & look at the lovely white houses that make up picture postcard Santorini

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FranNewZealand
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed 29 June 2014

To be honest, i'm not a big fan of doing a review without leaving something to improve in some hotel. In this case, however, i'm having a hard time thinking of something.
Location wise, it was great. Smack in the middle of Fira, there isn't anywhere in the town you couldn't get on foot. From supermarket to the center and stores, to churches and great view points, it is a great place to stay, specially if you're not stay long.
Infra wise, i don't have much to complain. First, the important part: Its has a very good free wifi. While it doesn't have a pool (the price is accordingly, so can't really complain), it does have a Jacuzzi, which was a great place to enjoy the sunset. The breakfast can be served either at your room or on a balcony, with an exquisite view of Santorini. It is well worth it. While we had reserved a room with a single bed and a view, our host transferred us to a family room, with a lot of space. It was great. We lost the room view, but since we could get breakfast at the balcony, it was well worth it. Since i have to complain about something, the shower drain wasn't working very well, and some of the water got in the room.
About our host, Dimitri was excellent. He got me an airport transfer within two hours, arranged for a car rental on the day we arrived, gave us great tips on places to visit. Be wine cellars, beach places or a great spot to see the sunset, he had a tip for everything. Always trying to help, he was an integral part of our stay. I highly recommend the hotel for future travelers.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pkold
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This is a bulletproof choice for a hotel in Fira. Location is dramatic and allows for a bedside morning view of the caldera and town simultaneously. Breakfast served in the room, and it's good. A/C and TV just OK, but those are inconsequential.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple