“Awful rooms, terrible service, great view”
Review of Nonis Apartments

Nonis Apartments
Ranked #9 of 51 Fira B&B and Inns
Charlottesville Va
“Awful rooms, terrible service, great view”
Reviewed 1 August 2009

They even call themselves 'LUXURY' apartments!!.
Let's start with the good: The view is simply amazing.
Now let me continue with the description of Noni's LUXURY apartments and the service they provide.
1.- Not picked up at the port. Eventhough they promised to pick us up at the port of Thera, we arrived and noone was there from the hotel.
2.- No help with the luggage. Santorini is filled with stairs, but noone was there to help us carry our luggage to our room.
3.- Crib in misserable condition. We have a toddler that was supposed to sleep in a crib. It was completely broken down. The owner promised to replace it (we are still waiting)
4.- "Quadruple Cave": The room was described as a two separate bedrooms with a living space. It was actually a one bedroom with a living space where two sofas could be used as beds. Should have been described as a "Doulble ratshole".
5.- The beds in the living room: The mattresses in the living room were less than 3 inches think.
6.- No water during the night: We had absolutely no water during the night. No water for drinking, showering or the toilet (that would have been more than luxuriuls, that would have been ostentacious!!).
7.- No reception service during the afternoon or night. We had noone to ask for our lack of water. Also, we were locked out during the day, and I had to get to the room through the window above the door because there was noone in the reception.
8.- Internet?, what internet? It is only available in a different establishment 100 meters away from Noni's.

In all 220 Euros for one night in this terrible place is simply too much. I would not go there again even if it was free.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank blablalakjfheru
fanes, employee at Nonis Apartments, responded to this review, 6 August 2009
My name is Jessica and I work at Nonis Apartments. I am the girl who met you and helped you to your room. We value all comments and I do feel the need to respond to your review.
1. When you telephoned from the port I answered the call and you were understandably concerned when you did not see us there, I quickly called the transfer service and found them stuck in the traffic leading to the port and assured you just to wait and they would be there within 10 minutes. You said it wasn't a problem to take a taxi and you would come straight away to the hotel.
2. I met you just outside the hotel and helped you with your luggage. The baby was asleep in your wifes arms and she was going to put him in the pram and I said it's better if you carry the baby as there are stairs and I helped you with the luggage and pram.
3. We apologize for the baby cot buy is for free we dont charge for this, it's a valid point and we have bought a new one.
4.5. If you were uncomfortable with your room, we really wished you would have come to speak to us. we have to say you stay at our hotel only few hours from 14:00 oclock and left the next day 11:00 about in the morning,but i know you enjoy the jacuzzi all evening with your parents and your baby,also you have a quadraple and you came five,we dont say at our original site our quadraple is two saperate bedrooms
and we dont recomend it for two couples,you are with your parents and your baby.
6. The water was off in all of Fira, it wasn't just the hotel. Unfortunately this happens somewhat regularily and we don't have warning.
7. I do take an hour and a half break in the day, typically when people are out of the hotel. I came over to see you durning my break as I saw you on the balcony as I passed by and you told me you had to go through the window. I'm sorry you lost the key, we have an emergency phone number on the door of reception to my mobile and to the owners. You had telephoned us about the transfer I really wish you had just called us to let us know you had lost the key and I would have been there in 2 minutes.
We take a lot of pride in our work and try and do the best for every guest we have at our hotels, so it's alarming to read a review this serious. When ever we asked how you were and how you were enjoying Santorini, everything was fine. As I said before, if only we knew how you felt we would have done everything in our power to help you.
the mattress we bouth it last March and all our clients are happy.
i hope you understaunt me because is very important for us all the reviews.

we wish all the best for you and your family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
los angeles, ca
Reviewed 7 June 2009

I stayed at Noni’s Luxury Apartments recently. My first choice would have been the Aroma Suites, but since there was no availability there during my preferred dates, Mr. Fanes (who manages both properties) referred me to Noni’s.

Overall, I had a mixed experience with Noni’s. Let me start with the positive aspects.

First, Noni’s has a shared terrace which offers an absolutely stunning view of the caldera and the nearby islands. Sipping wine and watching the sunset from the terrace will be one of the highlights of your stay there.

Second, Noni’s is in a quiet corner of Fira, but it is still only a 5-minute walk away from the bus station, the taxi stand, the central square, and the hustle and bustle of the touristy streets. Furthermore, Noni’s is only 20 steps down from the edge of the caldera. Some other hotels were 50 or more steps down.

Third, Mr. Fanes is a genuinely nice and hospitable person. He really takes good care of all his guests. He responded promptly (within a few hours) to all my e-mails. He picked us up at the airport when we arrived, and he drove us back to the airport on our last day. He gave us good restaurant recommendations. He invited us to use the wireless Internet connection at the Aroma Suites. He and his assistant Jessica offered us countless cups of coffee and glasses of wine while we were hanging out at the Aroma Suites. Mr. Fanes and Jessica are 2 of the nicest people you will ever meet. Our apartment was cleaned daily by the maid. She gave us clean towels and also wiped the floor every day.

Fourth, our apartment had a stove, a small fridge, a sink, as well as a few dishes, cups and silverware.

I also have a couple of negative comments.

First, the word “luxury” in Noni’s Luxury Apartments is a misnomer. The apartments are not luxurious. You are not paying for space or comfort; you are paying for the location and the view. Some of the furniture is in really bad shape and needs to be replaced. The hangers in the closet looked like they were homemade from wire. The stove in the kitchen definitely needs to be replaced. The shower loved playing foul-tempered jokes on us. One of the dressers in the living room was full of random junk.

Second, there was some confusion regarding the price of the apartment we rented. I have 3 e-mails from Mr. Fanes quoting 3 different prices for the same apartment: 60 euros per night, 130 euros per night, and 160 euros per night. The correct price turned out to be 160 euros. The 60 euro price was probably a typo. The 130 euro price was the price from last year, even though it was still posted on Noni’s official website when I made my reservation, and even though I received an e-mail from Mr. Fanes confirming that price. I am absolutely certain that Mr. Fanes is a decent person and is acting in good faith, so the pricing confusion was just due to miscommunication. But you should make sure you clear up any ambiguity regarding pricing before you arrive.

Third, if you are renting one of the apartments for 3 or 4 people, you might not get the degree of privacy you are accustomed to. 1-2 people can stay in the bedroom and 1-2 people can stay in the living room. However, if you are staying in the living room and need to go to the bathroom, you have to walk through the bedroom. If you are staying in the bedroom and need to go outside, you will have to walk through the living room. In addition, there is a large opening in the wall (sort of like a window) between the living room and the bedroom, so they are not really 2 completely separate rooms, in the traditional sense of the word.

Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank sts77
Manila
Reviewed 12 November 2008

Reservations at this hotel was made by the hotel of our first choice. As we could not be accommodated there on our first night, the hotel manager had referred us to Noni Hotel. The owner, Mr Fanis, had kindly accommodated us at short notice.

Mr Fanis himself had picked us up at the airport. He was a very nice man who spoke good English and knew Santorini like the back of his hand. Mr Fanis owns several hotels in Santorini, the Noni being one of them.

Our bedroom was clean with a private bath and tub. Aside from the bed, the room was also furnished with a sofa, television, refrigerator and some kitchen utensils. As well, it has a verandah that opens to the common area but more importantly, it boasts of an unobstructed view of the caldera.

A word of caution, though. This hotel is not for the faint-hearted, literally, as are most of the hotels in Santorini. Unless you are traveling very lightly, the trek to and from the hotel is a challenge. Otherwise, this hotel is recommendable, especially because of the owner who goes out of his way to ensure that his guests have a lovely time at his native place.

• Liked — The owner, view
  • Disliked — stairs to the room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keanne
Sydney
Reviewed 4 October 2007

Nonis apartments have about the nicest view you could possibly have from the shared balcony. We spent several nights sitting drinking beers at sunset and just enjoying the view.
The apartments are a couple of hundred metres from everything and are pretty much the last apartments on the cliff facing the old harbour, so you have the advantage of being slightly tucked away from all the noise.
The actual apartments are a little bit run down. We had one of the cave houses, which was huge and comfortable, however the bathrooms and furniture could use some updating!
Regardless, I cant imagine anyone not enjoying their stay at this place

• Liked — the view and location
  • Disliked — the kitchen
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AdsSyd
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 12 November 2006

We stayed at the Nonis apartments from Oct. 24th-28th, 2007...what a great little place to stay! The owner (Fanes) was wonderful and incredibly helpful...he offered transportation to and from the airport (we only needed to be picked up from the airport). He was so accomodating to us because we had some flight issues! Nonis is a small set of apartments (3)...the room we stayed in had beautiful french doors that led out onto a somewhat private balcony. The view is UNBELIEVABLE and almost undescribable. The room was clean and neat however not overly big...it had a double bed (which is a little hard), 2 dressers, a small TV, bathtub and shower, & refrigerator. Sorry ladies no hair dryer, so you need to bring one. It is one of the last places along the many white bldgs ....remember you are paying for the view (not the room). It is soooo close to town...maybe a 5-7minute walk (if that). You also can walk to the grocery store which is also about 5 mins. Town is GREAT...lots of places to eat and drink. No one is too pushy and even though it caters to tourists, we didn't feel like we were in a tourist trap. Please make sure to go to Kamari beach...you will need to rent a car however it will be worth it. We also did the local winery (it was OK however don't expect a lot). Oia is also beautiful and a lot of people choose to stay on this side. Make sure to take the gondola down to the port even if you don't get on a boat it gives you a different view.
P.S. Fanes also owns another place called Aroma Suites...they looked nice! And off-season is a great time to get better deals!

• Liked — the VIEW!
  • Disliked — the double bed
  • Tips/Secrets — go in the off-season...way better deals!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank greekgoddess-iwish
London
Reviewed 4 October 2006

My boyfriend and I spent 4 nights at Noni's with no complaints. We arrived a day early and the owner put us up in one of his other hotels, Loizos, for the night at €60. Loizos is comfortable, clean and well positioned. It could do with a lick of paint and some finer touches but i understand it is being renovated this winter.

We moved to Noni's the following day. We were originally booked for 3 nights and extended our stay to 4 with no fuss and we were able to stay in the same room. Noni's (and Aroma Suites - also owned by the same family) is a very small complex so we appreciated that they were able to accommodate us.

The apartment we had was spacious and clean and served its purpose for the time we spent there. The view was stunning and, in our opinion, even better than those at cliffside restaurants or at Oia. In Santorini you are (whether you like it or not) paying for the view and in my experience at Noni's you get more than your moneys worth. Many other places we saw were charging twice the amount we paid per night or more, for average accommodation with a good view.

The room did feel musty on occasions, but its Greece and its hot and the hotels are built into mountains so its almost to be expected and nothing that an open door or window can't sort in a short while.

On one occasion we had no hot water. When we mentioned it the following day we were shown how to fix it immediately and had no further problems. The only negative experience we had was from the maid who was rude on the last day. We had been told to leave the room at 11am but she banged on the door at 10 and was insistent we leave asap - but her attitude wasn't enough to spoil our experience. Some things you simply better off being left as "cultural differences".

We had a free transfer to the airport with the owner and all in all felt that Noni's represented very good value for money in comparison with the rest of the hotel market in Fira.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple