“NOT EVEN A HOTEL...”
Review of Fira Blue Horizon

Fira Blue Horizon
Ranked #68 of 79 Speciality Lodging in Fira
Reviewed 17 July 2014

When I booked this pathetic excuse of a "hotel" I was notified it was a non-refundable payment. This did not worry me as the hotel had impressive photos of the room decor, a swimming pool, terrace bar etc online. As I arrived, I was horrified to find this was not the case. I shall start from the beginning...
1. We waited at the local bus station for almost 2 hours to be picked up by someone at the hotel who never turned up. Eventually we were forced to find a taxi.
2. As we walked up to the "hotel" we found ourselves in the midst of a building site. With loose tiles, wheelbarrows, mounds of sand, drills and shovels all around us. I was beyond shocked, but nevertheless walked up to what I hoped was the reception.
3. The reception was ridiculously informal and disorganised. The lady behind the bar she called the "reception" could not speak a word of English and was rather rude and dismissive when we tried to communicate. We also noticed there was no pool and definitely no restaurant. Luckily, a family nearby could speak Greek and helped translate that the only room they had available was a double, when we had specifically booked and paid for a quadruple room with two double beds. The woman told us it was that, or our party of 3 would be split up into two rooms on opposite sides of the hotel. Regretfully, with no where else to say, we accepted the offer of the double room (which was not subsidised in the slightest).
4. We walked into our room to find dead cockroaches, stains in the bath, dirty towels, broken air con and thousands of flies all around us. Considering we were paying over €170 a night, this is not the standard of room we were expecting.
5. We decided to try and get a refund as we had been completely scammed by the false advertisement. One of the boys running the hotel on site openly admitted his boss had taken photos of another hotel and advertised it as Fira Blue Horizon. We were disgusted, and asked to speak to the boss immediately. He refused to come and discuss the situation with us and was most unhelpful. A man who clearly does not care about customer service. Eventually, we were lucky enough to find room elsewhere and fled the "hotel" as soon as we could. There was a very uneasy and unsafe atmosphere on the premises and I would not be happy to let my dog stay a night, let alone humans. KEEP AWAY AT ALL COSTS THIS PLACE SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN!

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank NutellaLover246

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

After accidentally booking for the wrong month in another hostel, this last minute booking turned out in our favour. With a less than 10 minute walk into the heart of the 'postcard view' of Fira - Santorini, this hostel was the perfect abode to enjoy our 4 nights in the amazing town of Fira. The room was Incredibly big, setting the bar quite high for all other hostels we would stay in in the future. Although we weren't given a lot of information by the staff, they were available when we needed and wee happy to accommodate us with any needs. Overall a great experience that added to our amazing time in Fira and would highly recommend to anyone wanting to save a bit of money, yet still obtain the fantastic atmosphere Fira, and Santorini as a whole has to offer!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We landed in Santorini without a hotel booking and didnt had a clue where to stay. The ferry was jam packed with people that day and we rushed into the first travel agency which we saw. The guy there was trying to sell this hotel to us very frantically and he started with 80 euros for a night. Seeing how desparate he was to make us stay in this hotel, we thought there will be something fishy. We were about to go out when another guy appeared from nowhere. He was operating a shuttle from the ferry to various hotels and he offered us a ride to the hotel on the condition that we will take the room only if we like it. We thought we will check out other hotels as well on the way as the shuttle had people staying all over santorini.

The hotel is located at Fira, which is center of Santorini and the room which he showed us looked exactly like in the picture (a fairy tale kind of room). He offered the room for 50euros (think we should have bargained more) and we took it. He also arranged a car for rent at 25 euros which we can drop back at the airport.

The room is spacious and had a beautiful view. (Ask for first floor corner room). Clean bathroom with hot water. You get free wifi with reasonable speed. The AC was working fine. The hotel is very close to the Fira center . We got to keep the room till 7 in the night though the normal checkout was at 12. The guy Chris was very helpful and he recommended all the nice places around Santorini and we had a gala time.

The only drawback could be once you are left at the hotel, there wouldnt be anyone around incase you need any help. Though there is a reception, it was empty all the time. Luckliy we didnt turn into a situation where we had to look for help.

At Santorini, if you are on a sight seeing spree make sure you stay at Phira and you have a car at your disposal.

Places whch you cant afford to miss
1. Santo wines (do the wine tasting)
2. Pyrgos Restaurant
3. Oio sunset and sqaure
4. Bay of Amoudi
5. Black Beach

Room Tip: Ask for 1st floor corner room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RSV99
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We fell into this trap and left early from the island because of it. This is the only time in 3 weeks in Greece that someone shamelessly tried to scam my gf and I. Unfortunately it worked since we have had great experiences from other travel guides storefronts elsewhere and hoped our luck would continue. Do not follow our fate, which ruined the island experience for us. We are traveling on the cheap, so our expectations were not high. We thought at 40euros a night we would be treating ourselves to something better.

The good: the shower had hot water and good water pressure.

The bad:
1) No AC. It was broken, this leads to #s 2, 3 & 4. Of note, the WiFi, the in room fridge, most of the lights and the TV were also all broken, but we can live without those.
2) There is no reception, only a phone # on the outside wall to call somebody with the payphone.
3) The payphone is broken and appears to have been for some time.
4) Time to open the windows and balcony doors. Oh wait there aren't any plug in mosquito repellants that we've seen in every other hotel. 95 degrees in the room and 22 bites later we just decide to leave a day early since it sucks so bad. This leads to 5, 6 & 7.
5) The hotel is a half hour walk up cobblestones from anything. Not something my gf recovering from a broken knee is going to do with a backpack.
6) So we try to get a taxi. Since there is no reception and the payphone is broken, I talk to who appear to be the caretakers and ask them to call a taxi. They say no, they can take us to the port but it will be 20 euros and act like its a big hassle for them. I say no that's OK can we just call a taxi and again they refuse, saying they'll take us. So we're trapped in their scam and end up shelling out the cash just to get out of the whole situation.
7) Looking at other reviews most people are paying 20-25 euros for rooms, which even then isn't worth the hassle. We paid 80 for two nights and left after one, it was that bad.

Again, stay away from the "Fira Blue Horizon"/"Fira Kalma"/"Fira Calm" hotel being handed out by the large "Princess Tourist Office" on the south end of the ferry port.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Steven D
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Nice view and beautiful rooms in very less price. 10 mins Walkable distance from centre. Hotel staff is helpful. We arrived at night and hotel provided us taxi option too with only 10 euros per person. Nice experience and worth in that much price.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I are backpacking, so we decided to show up on Santorini and see what happens. Turns out it was a good call, we walked off the ferry straight into one of the giant rent-a-car/tourist places, called princess something. Anyways I did some research beforehand and knew I could get rooms as cheap as 20 euros, so we negotiated 25 euros (for both of us) for 1 night including a ride to the hotel, which was needed since I did not see a bus when we arrived.
Glad we took the gamble, because we were given the best room in the place-top floor, last room at the end, 101 I think. Our balcony faces south, like everyone's, but being on the end we have an extra window that faces the (distant) sea to the east. No pool, but they are building one now, for this summer I assume.
I'm not sure how this place is in the summer, but I would recommend for budget travellers in the off season to just show up and negotiate yourself a deal. Worked out for us.
Oh also, go to el greco. They may promote it shamelessly, but it was probably in the top 5 most amazing meals of my life. We had the santorini eggplant appetizer to start, with the best feta I have ever tasted. I could have eaten a tub of it. Go there.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kla_Rich
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Arrived at the time specified but owner was no where to be seen.

Eventually he arrived. We booked 2 double rooms but he tried to give us a triple room. We refused them so he promised us 2 doubles.

When we were showed our rooms it was the triple single room. Unmade. Dirty sheets. Obviously hadn't been cleaned. So we again refused this room. The next room that was shown to us was a twin room. Then a room with bunk beds.

The owner seems quite dodgy. Not giving us the rooms that were booked. In the end we left to find somewhere new.

I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013