“Cool!”
Review of Garnet Mine Tours

Garnet Mine Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Outstanding site for collecting unusually large garnets. Staff is extremely friendly and flexible, and rates are reasonable. Even the locals didn't seem to know about this place, and it offers a fantastic alternative to skiing, which seems to be the predominant attraction in the area.
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This was very interesting. It was really out of the way but worth the trip. Definately need nice weather though since it's outside. You get to find your own stones. The tour guide was well informed.

1  Thank OldOneEye

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

I went here years ago with my parents and came back with my kids. Well priced and definatly different then the normal attractions for kids. The kids loved being able to dig and sift for garnets and its great you get to take what you find. Your admittance also gets you a season's pass. Keep in mind these garnets were used for sandpaper so the chances are super low you'll find anything gem quality but its still cool leaving with a bag of garnets you pulled from the earth.

2  Thank Seth P
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Kids loved this. Went out to mine area- which is actually some cliffs that were previously blasted for mining with 2 ponds below. Area is beautiful, with so much garnet everywhere that you actually walk on bits of jewels. Kids loved sifting for the garnet so much we went back 3 times- 3 hrs (for the price of admission you can go back as much as you want.) People were really nice and helpful. Kids each got a small bag of garnet gems which they thought was amazing.... Would go back.

2  Thank DrXYZ
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and I took our son and his family to the garnet mine and we had a great time. The kids especially enjoyed digging and splashing the water to fine the garnets, but I think they were more interested in the frogs that were plentiful in the ponds. We were pleasantly surprised at the amount of garnet shards everywhere and managed to collect two nice vials of garnet without any work at all. It was a lovely way to spend the morning, but don't plan on striking it rich from garnets.

1  Thank katt51
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Went here as a child & again as an adult. my brother & I had a blast panning for Garnet & learning of the history of the mining.

1  Thank RockyAcresInn