“You call this German food ???”

Pumpernickels Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 64 Restaurants in Northport
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Based on all the good reviews I brought my mother and uncle (who are German) to Pumpernickels for a good German food. Boy, what a mistake:
Negatives: Sauerbraten was not even sour
Cabbage had Thyme in it.
Carrots and dumplings were mushy and had no flavor
Potato pancakes did not have onion and salt and we could not even cut them
Baked clams had a foul order and taste
Price for the food was to high
Positives: Waitress was excellent

We are glad and happy that we did meet the owner Mr Glad

1  Thank 518Frankie

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I grew up in Northport and now live in Houston. Pumpernickel's has been a family favorite of our's for years as our "Special Occasion" restaurant. Great menu and terrific service. Mr. Glad is a wonderful host too.

2  Thank timbanks1960
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Visited this restaurant on Easter . Met the owner Mr. Glad and we shared some stories about his Grandmother and my Parents are buried in the same cemetery right across from each other. What a coincidence. Now about the food, you know being a Holiday, the prices are going to be inflated and they were (see their menu attached). However putting that aside, we were a party of 6 adults and 2 small children and they accommodated us without any problem seating us next to a window even though we made a reservation. The quality of their fare was surpreme to say the least. If you ordered the complete dinner on this day it would cost you $9.00 over the cost of the meal. The Sauerbraten which I ordered was a typical dish and it was delicious, I also ordered the spatzeles instead of a potato or dumpling which was also delicious. My daughter ordered the Rouladen also with spatzeles. My other daughter amd my Husband ordered steak which was served with a potato. Red Cabbage served family style. Dessert was a choice either Ice Cream, rice Pudding, Sherbert,Chocolate Pudding. Desert Menu on all other desserts are pricey. However if you are in the area and you want great German Food stop by.

5  Thank Anne B
Reviewed 17 November 2012

A long time reliable fine German restaurant. My Dad used to go here for the fire departments ex-chief dinners. My family has celebrated confirmations, graduations, Christmas Eves and have never been disappointed. The owner, Mr. Glad seems to almost always be on hand, wearing a suit, clearing tables if need be. We have arrived on occasion without reservations and he always makes us feel welcome and is willing to,assess his dining room to see if they have a table for us.
The food is very reliable German fare. They are known for their sauerbraten which I enjoy very much. I am also,a fan of the veal cordon bleu, my husband enjoys the Wiener schnitzel, my son adores the wiener roastbraten with onion strings that are so sweet they could be mistaken for candy. The place is always hopping. How do I know? I have lived up the road for the past 25 years. I especially love to visit in October or November. The food is very warm and satisfying when the weather gets brisk. I do hope you can visit a great place that has great service, good food and is very cozy.

4  Thank insidegame5
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I love schnitzel! I've eaten it in many restaurants in NY, in Austria (Figlmüller in Vienna is the best IN THE WORLD!) and in Germany. This is definitely NOT the place to order it. It was too small and too thick and it tasted of stale oil. Not very appetizing and very disappointing for me. The home fries (Bratkartoffel) were good but VERY greasy. The wife ordered sauerbraten which was good but unfortunately the dumplings that come with it were tasteless. We also ordered the over size (and very over priced) pretzel with 3 tasty dips. The couple with us had two kinds of wurst (she said it was OK but didn't eat the dumplings) and Goulash (he said it was good). The bill, including tip, came to something over $120. A small salad is included with the entree. The soft drinks were served in very small glasses filled mostly with ice. You need not worry about over eating as the portions are far from king size.

The place seems to cater to an older crowd (at least when we were there) and the ambiance is OK. The waitresses in the cute German style dresses were very pleasant (is that sexist? Is everyone now a waiter?:-) and helpful. Bottom line, there are lots of restaurants in Northport and we'll try another next time!

3  Thank BEESKY