“Nice try but not quite there yet”

Main Street Kitchenette
Ranked #11 of 15 Restaurants in Northville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating
New York City
“Nice try but not quite there yet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We are long-time patrons of the folksy Kitchenette and were very saddened to see it had changed hands in January. The good news is that the new owner has a strong track record with prior experience running another local diner. Shelby did a nice job with the renovations, sprucing it up with fresh paint and nice local artwork, and still keeping the old-fashioned feeling. The food is always reliable and fresh, good standard diner fare. Our eggs were cooked perfectly, and the home fries are a nice touch. Unfortunately the coffee (Maxwell House) is quite disappointing, so much so that I had to go to Java John's to get something to wash the taste out out of my mouth. I hope they may change coffee vendors so I won't feel so ambivalent about this establishment that holds a soft spot in my heart.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank HollyNYC

Rochester, New York
1,916 restaurant reviews
“Now called Shelby's Kitchenette”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I ate lunch at Shelby's Kitchenette this weekend while visiting Northville for an event in Waterfront Park. This is a rather unimpressive "diner" (because it has counter service) restaurant located in an old building on Main Street. The inside of the restaurant is decorated in...well, it really isn't decorated at all. There are a number of hand-written signs hanging crookedly on the walls, but really no decorations to speak of. The indoor-outdoor carpeting on the floor looks similarly tired as well.

I sat at the counter and ordered a turkey club sandwich, which was served on plain whit bread in rather unimpressive style. It didn't taste bad, but wasn't worthy of praise either. There were a few potato chips dumped in the middle of the plate as well...really nothing special.

The entire time I was eating, a customer on the next stool with a bad cough kept hacking away, so I tried to shield my food as best I could. The restaurant couldn't help that, I know. But the could do something about the elderly waitress behind the counter who kept licking her fingers every time she needed to pick up something or separate papers from one another. She did it repeatedly, and I wondered whether I had any chance at all of getting out of there without contracting a contagious cough or cold.

This was basically a sandwich served on a plate, no more. Because it was so inexpensive, I would be willing to give it a '3', which is charitable. I would rather grab a chain-store restaurant burger than go back for another visit.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Larry W
Greenwich, Connecticut
“New Owners - Shelby's Kitchenette”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Main St Kitchenette recently renovated and opened with new owners. I don't know why someone posted a photo of a brown bldg for this kitchenette, that is not the correct place. It's a cute bldg on Main St, currently painted green. We were very pleased with the renovation and still to find a lovely spot on Main Street in the quaint Village of Northville open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch - until 2pm. We stayed at a beautiful B&B in town, with a delicious breakfast included, but remembering the old Kitchenette we had to stop in on our way out of town. I had the eggs benedict and the waitress was very friendly in accommodating a side of broccoli. It was not the best eggs bene I've had, but it was still good and I've traveled the world for eggs bene, so this should not stop you from going. My husband ordered an omelette with the many choices he wanted which was excellent. I also noticed they do veggie burgers and wraps which I look forward to trying next time. Their menu was quite complete with many choices for all. We enjoyed the sunlight through the large windows to the street, their fresh flowers on each table, their renovated decor, their friendly and fast service. We will definitely be returning on our trip there this summer.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Thomas M
Italy
“Best pancakes of the year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

If you are around do not miss the Kitchenette for breakfast. We were a party of seven and all got great food. Best of all were the pancake with fruits and the omelette . Friendly staff. Would love to go back but we are on our way back to Italy.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank pippilotta
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
“Good diner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Nice people. Traditional food. Breakfast was good. Quaint diner on Main Street. Funny signs hang on the walls

• Visited August 2013