“Almost Heaven on XC Skiis at Lapland”

Lapland Lake Cross Country Ski Center
DC
“Almost Heaven on XC Skiis at Lapland”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Ya know, "Almost Heaven," was the tourist theme for West Virginia on the late 70's, when ski trails was any place there was snow on the ground and what passed for haute cuisine in Davis WVA was Heinz beans out of a can. Well, Lapland created their version of "Heaven on Snow"about the same time thru a lot of hard work and it is still as close to perfect today for XC Skiing as is possible on this earth (ie no cellphone service). I made a XC-Ski ABout last winter in the Cascades (Bend & Three Sisters), Vermont including Trapp Lodge XC, WhiteGrass WVA and one of the oldest Garnet Hill in North River NY. No one, but no one had the natural beauty of Arnold Palmer like hand-crafted trails and no..body but nobody maintains them, daily. like Ole at Lapland. And no one can hold a candle to their hospitality as Ann and Ole the owners. My only regret was that I never made it to Lapland to ski with my uncle before he passed away. But as Ann the co-owner said to me, he was with you in spirit. Just maybe! Treat yourself for a day or multi-day visit and stay at one of the housekeeping camps (they also deliver wonderful food to your cabin). I did and loved every minute of it including a night ski under the lights with light snow falling to their very own frozen lake. It doesn't get any better than that.

Visited March 2013
laplandlake, Manager at Lapland Lake Cross Country Ski Center, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Here we sit in the lovely Adirondacks in beautiful springtime, looking forward to welcoming our summer season guests and to enjoying long, lazy summer days...and your review has made us pine for the winter! You have painted such a perfect picture, and we are beyond pleased that you loved your stay with us. Your experience is precisely why we do what we do. Thank you for sharing.

Fulton County
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wonderfull”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Great place for a getaway. Nice cabins, great hosts, peaceful quiet and relaxing. Leave the noise behind and stay here

Schenectady, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great groomed trails”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Lapland Lake's groomed trails loop through beautiful woods and past a stream, making you feel almost like you're backcountry skiing.

Visited February 2013
Wells, New York
“Fabulous find in the heart of the Adirondacks”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

After inheriting skis and snowshoes from a friend, I ventured to Lapland for my first time ever on skis. So glad I went here rather than a larger, more corporate resort. Lapland has a family feel, complete with friendly companion animals (Kiva the dog and Little Bit the cat), plenty of knowledgeable instructors, and best of all, gorgeous trails in a snowy microclimate. I went 2 weeks in a row on my day off, and can't wait to go again. Thanks Olavi, Ann, and my very patient instructors Don and Roy!!!

Ithaca, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Stellar groomed trails, impeccable hospitality, attention to detail.”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Whether you're a hardcore skier or just looking for tranquility in the woods, I highly recommend Lapland Lake. Over four vacations in the last three years, this understated place has worked its way into my heart, between the superb hospitality, the topnotch groomed trails, and the excellent wood-fired sauna.

The trail system is relatively modest but so superbly groomed, and the Adirondack terrain so lovely, that I would happily ski the trails repeatedly, enjoying the wind in the trees, burbling creeks, and the stunning lake (which you can ski on) surrounded by evergreens and a big sky. It's actually quite amazing how well the trails absorb guests, so that no matter how busy the place seems, I seem to have the ski trails practically to myself. Over the course of four visits, my skiing skills have markedly improved, and I've benefited from several incredibly helpful lessons (both classic and skate ski) from the unusually good instructors (a steal at $10 for a generous hour to overnight guests). The skiing is so good, including "night skiing" on illuminated trails, that there's still much I haven't taken advantage of, including snowshoeing on the property and beyond.

I've come either by myself or with my partner, and stayed in two cottages, Latu and Suksi. Families with kids seem equally content. The cottages are small and simple but remarkably well-equipped and immaculate; each well-stuffed couch begs you to take a nap, a good reading light is usually nearby, the beds are comfortable, the shower is hot and has great water pressure.

The owners and staff are consistently warm and welcoming, yet give you as much space as you desire. Their attention to detail is a hallmark of the place, so that if by chance there is something not quite right, like a broken telephone or no newspaper for the woodstove, it's tended to immediately. We've both rented and purchased ski equipment at Lapland and the customer service is excellent (we're happy with our purchases). If you stay overnight I highly recommend their local licensed massage therapist, a delightful person with vast energy and skill, who will set up her table in your cottage and give you a phenomenally effective sports massage (it did wonders with my sore muscles). Lunch on my last day was vegetarian chili with cornbread from the mini-restaurant that's right on the grounds, and just like everything, it hit the spot, as did the friendly service.

I'll end with a plug for their traditional wood-fired sauna. It's a large, hot one, available to overnight guests only. It offers a bucket of water and ladle so that you can toss water on the sauna rocks, generating steam and a little bit of heaven. Honestly, the sauna alone is worth the trip to Lapland Lake. This place is rustic, so don't expect luxury, but somehow it gets every detail right, and you'll feel right at home.

1 Thank Jenna M