“You get what you pay for”
Review of Super 8 Norwich

Super 8 Norwich
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Norwich
Mahwah
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

It's an average rating - what was I expecting - the Ritz. It's a super 8 in the middle of almost nowhere, NY. With very limited choices we opted for a low budget chain and got just what we expected. Granted we did not expect the left over clothes in the bathroom, or the ant that crossed my wife's path as she ventured into the bathroom. It was clean, at least a surface clean. I did see them doing laundry, couldn't help it the machine was behind the front desk, so I do know the towels and sheets were clean. If you need a motel in this region for a quick nights stay - you will survive, we did, but than again it's only been 7 hours since we left.

Room Tip: Use AAA to reduce the rate. Ask for non-smoking.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 June 2011

A two star hotel giving you exactly what you pay for. A clean room, comfortable bed, towels, TV and courtesy. This is the best choice in town. We have stayed at the other one and my review was not as complementary.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Our trip involved 3 adults staying in one room. We had a room with 2 double beds, but we probably spent less than 12 hours in Norwich, so I can't comment on many of the amenities at the hotel. We just needed the basics - a place to sleep overnight and shower in the morning before continuing on our way. This hotel fit our needs perfectly, and we would have no qualms about staying there again. The service was very friendly. I had requested extra pillows when I made my on-line reservation and the woman who checked us in was aware of that and mentioned there were 2 pillows per person on the bed normally; did I still need extra? The room was clean. When we checked out the next morning there was a contenential type breakfast - not a large one, but again, fine for our needs - with prepackaged bagels, muffins, and a few other items.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank smm628
Williamsville, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel is fine for the price. It was clean and the stafff was friendly. Location wise, its quite a ride from the Buffalo area...about 4 hours.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
CNY
Reviewed 7 February 2011

We booked a room to be able to watcht the Superbowl without the bar crowd and checked out 4 hrs later at the end of the game. To make my reservation online they needed a credit card, I used a debit card. I paid cash when I was at the motel instead of using the card I reserved the room with. What a mess! They put a hold on my debit and could not take it off, so they had all my cash and all my debit card balance. In essence, I paid twice. I stopped at a store after checking out and there were insufficient funds to make a purchase, so I went back and asked them to cancel my checkout and redo it on the card so I could get the cash back. I figured since the hold was there I might as well use the card's balance afterall. I was told under no circumstances would they cancel the transaction. They refused to let me speak to the manager, wouldn't tell who owned the hotel, I called Super 8 customer service and got a machine that said they were closed at 10pm central time, it was 8:45 central time, they should have been there. I asked, if I had changed my mind and decided to stay the whole night, would they charge me another whole reservation fee and was told yes. After telling them I might call the police if they didn't give me my money back and charge my card instead, I was told if I didn't leave they would call the police on me. The room was so shabby, the linens were threadbare, there were black specs of unknown origin in the bathtub.The showerhead screached during the whole shower. I will absolutely never ever ever book a room here again. They do not care about customer service or their motel,

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank parkerd37

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Brookfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 September 2010

Was visiting the Northeast Classic Car Museum and the motel was just up the road. I had asked the staff at the museum about local accomodations and they recommended the Super 8. Comments were that it was used by their visiting families and is very clean. Their recommendation turned out to be true. The young woman at the reception desk was very pleasant and check in was efficiently handled. I did not have reservations and there were several activities going on in the area that weekend so I was happy that circumstances allowed the motel to accommodate my walk in status. Can't understand some of the negative reviews that have been posted, not my experience at all.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Ok, this may not be the top of line Motels but my wife and I were looking for something affordable. We have dealt with older motels so that would not be a problem. We went to the county fair in Walton and returned late, not early morning late but around 10:30 pm late and for this part of New York it was quiet. Trouble was there was not one parking spot on the property to park my car. I could have squeezed it into an illegal spot between two cars but the truck I would have be close to blocking seemed like it would have taken my bumper off in the morning for spite, if they couldn't get out. I was told by the front desk clerk that I could park across State Highway 12, where all the trucks are parked. I had to inform him that all the trucks were in the lot at the motel and none were across the street. No much as I'm sorry about that or maybe I'll move my car ( if he had one). All rooms were booked and there was not one open spot. I still find that hard to believe. Even when my wife spoke with the manager in the morning there was not one apolgy about the parking. I really didn't think I would have a car in the morning without a ticket on it. It's not like you can leave your car and take a taxi. Since there is not cell phone service we had to get the phone turned on for a local call. The manager was so nice to take off the charge for the phone. Maybe she could have given us a break on the rooom rate for no parking spot. Since it was our first trip in the area and we may be there again we are going to search a bit for somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Hampton Inn Oneonta
#1 of 1 in Sidney
Patricia's Guest House
Patricia's Guest House
#2 of 6 in Hamilton

Been to Super 8 Norwich? Share your experiences!