“Super Sweet Sixteen”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ocean Beach
West Islip, New York
“Super Sweet Sixteen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

We hosted our daughter's sweet sixteen at the Palms Hotel this summer. We were welcomed at the ferry by the helpful staff with wagons to bring the girls' luggage to their amazing Chelsea Suite! The suite was beautifully decorated, clean, and close to all Ocean Beach has to offer. The suite has four bedrooms, two beautiful baths, a living room, and full kitchen. The entire hotel staff was extremely friendly, and attentative. The Palms has so much to offer: We had use of the wagons, bicycles, kayaks, umbrellas, towels, beach chairs, flavored water, unlimited popcorn, breakfast pastries, use of the clothes dryers, and late night movies in the courtyard. Our daughter's party included: a "barefoot beach barbeque" created by the Palms. We had use of the private beach, and attendants to assist with the guests, sunset views, and delicious food cooked for us to enjoy with friends and family under the star-filled sky. The Palms is a tropical paradise and just a ferry ride away! We will definitely recommend this hotel for families, and look forward to a return trip. Thank you Palms Hotel for a vacation that will be remembered forever!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Bay Shore, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

The Palms Hotel is a unique oasis within the rustic laid back charm of the unique Bay front Village of Ocean Beach on Fire Island. My fiancé and I had the opportunity to stay and experience the accommodations from the basic room to the presidential suite with 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, full kitchen, with flat screen TV’s and AC in every room. Attention has been given to every detail, from the décor, to the room amenities and outstanding attentive staff service to the guests.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pkw0410
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Let me first tell you a little about my trip and why I give this hotel a 5, then I'll go through why the other lower ratings don't really make sense.

This was my first time on Fire Island - a completely spontaneous trip without any real knowledge of what's good on Fire Island. Ferry from Sayville to Pines, then walked all the way to Ocean Beach while taking breaks on the beach and bars in between. We were really tired when we got to the Ocean Beach (Sat night) and we couldn't find any open rooms besides Cleggs and Palms.

About the hotel -
The service at the front desk was great. We had a small problem and Alex tried his best to clear it up for us. He spent a lot more time than I would have expected from a normal person at the front desk. Carla (his manager?) was helpful as well. At the beginning she came off as a pretty harsh manager with an attitude (maybe she had a bad night?), but she ended up listening to us and taking her time out to help us figure our issue out as well. The next day, we had questions for bike rentals (they have free bike rentals!) and for things to do in Ocean Beach, and the people outside were also very friendly and helpful.

We got the railroad style suite, two bedrooms with one bath. The rooms were extremely small (but as I will tell you later in the review, the other hotels that had only slightly larger rooms lacked much in cleanliness, quality, and service). However, the rooms were super clean with very clean bathrooms. They even have L'Occitane for their shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel! Their soap had a ginger smell and felt very smooth on the hands as well. If you go look at the public bathrooms, from the style of the faucet - you can tell the Palms Hotel is really a resort Hotel.

Now - about why other reviews are not very accurate. It seems people always compare the price to the space. The other "bed and breakfasts" are not much bigger, and they are much worse in terms cleanliness/smell of room/amenities. So when people say the facilities are poor... I'd say they are probably the best by far on Fire Island (I looked at Houser's and Clegg's Bed and Breakfast rooms - the only other choice is really Blue Waters which was full for the night).

Overall I'd give this hotel a 4.5 - however since I can't give a half, I rounded up. The 4.5 mainly comes from it being expensive (out of my budget), but it's not much more expensive compared to the other places. Cleggs quoted me at just slightly below Palms. However, everything else was much better compared to the other hotels / bed and breakfasts at Ocean Beach. If this was a rating for rental homes, then I might give it a much lower rating (I don't know how rental homes are on FI yet...) But as a hotel on FI, The Palms get's a 4.5 - 5!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kevin M
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

We've been going to Fire Island for years, and were excited about the possibility of a more upscale hotel. The Palms is NOT that place. The service was very poor - accented by people who didn't want to help with bicycles, carry luggage, or provide towels. We stayed in the Chelsea Cottage. There was a speaker attached to the outside wall that played dance/techno/hip-hop all day (from 8 am!) preventing anyone from sleeping in. All of the rooms on one side of the building had no privacy because they faced the courtyard. There was no wireless internet in our room, though it was promised. At $800/night, we ought to have internet. A broken coffee table, chair with a ripped bottom, and air conditioners that sounded like cement mixers topped it off. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the courtyard if you don't want people looking in your room day and night. Sup...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Minneapolis, MN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Good location, but much too expensive for inferior property and cramped room. No phone in the room, no closet, bedside table or reading lamp; there was no hot water in the shower;. One of the beds made an extremely loud creaking sound whenever we sat or lay down; the windows faced other buildings and windows that were about 3 feet away; The young staff members were very solicitous and courteous, but they couldn’t improve the poor quality of the facilities.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank KathyMinneapolis_MN
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I love the beach and the whole Fire Island experience. However, The Palms Hotel is overpriced and not worth the stay there. At $440 per night the bungalow room couldn't be smaller with neither a closet or places to hang any clothes properly. At night the lights from the building made you feel like you were sleeping on a broadway stage. There should be shade on the windows that keep the light out. The bathroom has nowhere to keep toiletries. I don't think my toothbrush should go on the toilet tank as this was the only spot to put anything. No glasses, no tissues no shelves for anything. Also, how about a beach print on the wall instead of a female in a corset. I hated looking at that all day. Not impressed at all with this hotel.
So I may love Fire Island but next time I'll stay in a rental home which I'm sure may be more but ill have a place to hang my clothes!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mary Ellen M
East Islip, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I had a fantastic time at the Palm. I had a wedding at the beach at Maguire's food was amazing !!!
let me tell you about the staff at the Palm Karley made all my reservation got me one of the most beautiful rooms. I hosted a little happy hour before wedding in the courtyard Bobby ken mike Ashley Kerry Daniela Ali Kandell all helped me get it together. I had awesome time I cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 2 in Port Jefferson
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge

Been to The Palms Hotel Fire Island? Share your experiences!