“Very clean and cozy”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ogdensburg
potsdam NY
“Very clean and cozy”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We went here for a quick get a way- Reasonably priced- clean and cozy and a nice view of the St. Lawrence- uncrowded view with land and a great big pool.... (only open in the summer).
The restaurant was fantastic for dinner...
Breakfast was free but not that good- especially the coffee stunk.
The mattress and bedding were comfy...noise level great to sleep....
Your cell phone will be hitting a Canadian tower so beware...we could not text or get phone calls...but there was free wi-fi....next time I will call the carrier to get that straightened out beforehand... I will be back...loved it!

Room Tip: Get a river view...only a few more dollars.... they also take a pet!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dwright438

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2012

The pictures and the text don't do it justice. It's far nicer than it looks, the rooms are clean and modern - even the dog friendly ones. Just a great place to get away and relax. With friendly staff who obviously take pride in their work. The food is first class not just for a hotel, this is a dining experience in a beautiful setting with a huge and interesting menu. Great place, great staff, great food and great price, you can't beet that combination. Then throw in the dog friendly and what more could you ask for.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

Yes it's a quality inn. But I've stayed at some pretty nice quality inns. However it was clean fairly comfortable and had all the typical expectations. However, the walls AND CEILINGS apparrently are THIN. seems the guest over our head was up ALL NIGHT! Room was pitch black with the lights out. If you like that it's great. I like the choice. We took the executive room overlooking the water. ....well as the balcony is at ground level, AND ADJOINS the next balcony, with single paned glass doors and no sheer curtains (only heavy light killing ones) we chose to keep the curtain closed... Thus creating the feel of being in a small dark Closset. Not enjoyable. In order to have a tiny bit of light while sleeping we kept the bathroom light on and the door slightly adjar. ....well if the light is on, the fan runs. Ugh! Further. 4 LITTLE DINKY pillows for a KING SIZED BED. Because they were so small, it was barely enough for one person (I do like my pillows) ...then ...as the hotel is a series of unconnected buildings... It would make sense to be well lit at night. However many of the lights were out. And as one must walk outdoors to the restaurant IT WAS DARK. The food was not bad and there was a lovely wood burning fireplace in the restaurant. All in all the place wasn't great. The staff mediocre. But there is nothing much else around.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank berrypocket
Central, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel for several nights for business. The bed was comfortable, there was a nice tv and clean kept bathroom. The heater didn't work right away, I actually left the hotel came back later, tried again and it worked. A coworker had to get an electric heater from the lobby, staff in the restaurant even knew about the room with no heat, but my coworker was not made aware. In my room it looked like the furniture hadn't been move and cleaned under in awhile there was a straight line around the night stand and tv stand where dust started and clean rug began, otherwise the rest of the room was clean. Restaurant was good and on site (see reviews for Gran View restaurant). There also was not an elevator (that I could find) in the two story building. She asked when I checked in if I had preference for room, I said no, but didn't realize I had to drag my overpacked bag up the stairs. Honestly the hotel was good, managed just fine for the trip. My biggest problem, the walls r paper thin! My neighbors bed must have been against the same wall, his alarm woke me up in the morning, it sounded as if it was right next to me, anytime he talked coughed or anything in the room, I could hear it clear as day. I was also above the fitness center, which I didn't mind (and they have hrs) until I was woken up by his alarm and then couldn't sleep because someone was on the treadmill directly below me. If I stayed again I would make sure I brought ear plugs! Staff at desk were friendly, and had housekeeper came daily and refreshed the room.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank onaneedtoknowbasis
Seymour, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I have been here 4 times and each time i have been surprised how they have taken care of the facilities. Woodwork,bathrooms and beds are all great.
The nice view of the St.lawrence Seaway is a plus even in the winter.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Ron B
Colonial Heights, Virginia
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We needed a place to stay for a night and we used the I-phone to find something in Ogensburg, NY. This was the highest rated on Tripadvisor. The hotel has a 50's feel and view from the outside, but the room itself was beautiful with a poster bed and deluxe linens, partitioned bath, granite countertop, microwave, frig and small drip coffee pot with coffee. Everything inside the room appeared new and was deluxe. The hotel is totally non-smoking inside and had no unusual odors. Deluxe continental breakfast was included which was served at the motel next door. It was a full breakfast with many selections (hot and cold), only self-service, thus I suppose 'continental'. The hotel was extremely quiet, but at full capacity. I'm certain this would be a beautiful place in the summer, located directly on the St. Laurence river. I did see a large pool near the river. When up that way again, we will definitely book this one in advance to insure a room, perhaps river view.

NOTE: Don't rely on your GPS to find it as we had to call the hotel back for instructions after the GPS led us to Walmart. If you subscribe to internation service, you may have better luck finding it.

Room Tip: We booked one hour prior to arriving so we took what was available. Reserve in advance and request...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sealovers2
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This place is a treat. High, slopey open-beamed ceilings, adorable balconies looking out over tidy grounds to the river, 52 inch tv in the giant room, tv and phone in the giant jacuzzi tub bathroom with separate shower. Fully updated, but all the class and.charm of understated mid-century modernism. Did I say I loved it? I loved it. If Don Draper from Mad Men had to go to Ogdensburg, he would be happy staying here. Old school "fine" dining in the attached restaurant/bar - French onion soup, escargots, smooth jazz - have a Rob Roy or a Manhattan at the bar. In its own way, this is what Kate's Lazy Meadow tries too hard to be.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Kash_Sayles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ogdensburg
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brockville
#2 of 5 in Ogdensburg
Bridgewaters Inn
Bridgewaters Inn
#1 of 1 in Johnstown

Been to Quality Inn Gran-View? Share your experiences!