All reviewsthe ownergas stationnice guyan annual traditionsnowmobiling triplooked cleangreat place to stayexcellent placeroom was very clean and comfortablewould definitely stay here againconvenience storelittle thingsno frillsenjoyed our staystevechristysmotel
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Christys is a great motel to stay at while snowmobiling in Old Forge. Convenient location, gas and snacks right across the street and the rooms are updated and comfortable. Thanks to Steve and his staff for the daily trail reports and webcam during the winter season.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank nicajmar
ChristysMotel, Owner at Christy's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hi nicajmar,

Sounds like you hit it just right for a great weekend of riding. Besides the short melt down we had in Jan. the season was a pretty good one.

Thanks for the review and hope to see you again this upcoming winter season,

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My boyfriend and I usually stay in Blue Mountain over the New Year holiday but the place we usually stay did not have the 5 nights that we wanted available so I searched Trip Advisor for something nearby. I was glad that I found Christy's. It is right in the middle of Old Forge which has a lot of stores and restaurants open even in the winter. There is a gas station/convenience store right across the street and lots of restaurants in walking distance. Also a liquor store right next door, a drug store, grocery and hardware store all within walking distance. And a multiplex movie theater.
We rented the housekeeping unit with the kitchen and sitting area. Stephan was a great host. He shoveled the snow off the steps for us every time it snowed which was a lot including the blizzard on New Year's Eve. The room was clean and comfortable. I will definitely go back there again.
Old Forge is a great town. We were interested in snow shoe trails and cross country skiing trails. There are plenty within a short drive and the state plows the trailhead parking areas. A great way to spend the New Year holiday. And several places had parties to attend.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ginaceee
ChristysMotel, Owner at Christy's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Hi ginaceee,

It sounds like you had a great time here in Old Forge this past winter and I see you have plans to return this fall again.

We'll see you soon and thanks for posting a review,

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I find that most of the time I'm writing reviews, I tend toward either glowing or scathing. Christy's is the first time I have felt a solid 3-4/5 was thoroughly appropriate. In fact, I bounced back and forth between 3 and 4 as I wrote this. My fiance and I stayed in room 13, if memory serves, in September 2013.

Pros:
The owner, Steve, was very friendly and helpful. He has lots of good recommendations for the area, and directed us to the Bald Mountain trails, which was a wonderful experience. The rooms are very basic, but I think this is roughly appropriate given that he has some of the lowest fares in the area. The motel does have a little bit of a worn appearance from the outside- I don't know if I would quite call it depressing, as another reviewer remarked, but yeah- It's a motel. The strong point of the establishment is the rooms are CLEAN. I mean, SPOTLESS. I will try to post pictures, but the bathroom in our unit looked brand new- like just installed toilet, shower/tub, sink/vanity, floors, etc.

The water pressure was excellent and we had good hot showers at any time of the day or night. There was no musty smell when you walk in, the linens were clean, and the wall coverings/paint was in good shape. Steve offers hot water for coffee and tea in the front office, and has a selection of teas and instant coffee.

Cons:
A few things.
-as other reviewers noted, the mattresses are old. They are in good shape upholstery wise, and clean- but they are thoroughly worn out. They are the old contract style Bonnell coil mattresses (at least the one in 13) which is basically like sleeping on plywood sheets with some springs between them. To make matters worse, the little padding that existed on top of the coils 15 years ago has been completely compressed. The upshot to this was I couldn't sleep in, because by morning I was in too much back pain and had to get up. In a way this was a positive, because we were able to make more of our day- but I don't think most people would see it that way. I also take issue that the owner gets a little defensive with some reviewers here about the mattresses- saying they are firmer and that some people don't prefer that type of mattress. I assure you I have studied mattresses more than I care to admit, reupholstered and resprung furniture, and they are not firm- they are worn out. Badly. Case closed. What makes it hard to hang them for this is A) new mattresses are about $2000/room and B) I think you are unlikely to find anything that much more comfortable in the area, since many of the other places are older, family run establishments with the same 1980's Bonnell mats.

-No coffee maker or mini fridge. I realize this is a simple motel, but it seems the trend these days, even with more expensive places (see Edgewood Resort in Alexandria Bay, NY) that they omit the fridge and coffee maker. In talking with Steve, it sounds like he doesn't drink coffee- so he feels he compensates adequately with the instant in his office. I can't disagree more- there is nothing more satisfying than to start your day by preparing a pot of coffee which is then steeping to greet you as you walk out of the shower. What I don't want to have to do is walk across the raining parking circle to Steve's office to then fill a 6oz foam cup with instant that I have drank before I even open the door to leave. Similarly, a mini fridge would have been so nice- for example, to keep the beer we brought cold, or to preserve the leftovers of our meal at the Mill, which we had to throw out due to spoilage, or to store subs for our afternoon walk, so we didn't have to buy them and then race to the trail to eat them.

Summary:
Overall, we had a pleasant stay at Christy's, even considering the caveat's above. I am indifferent about whether or not I would stay here again- comparatively, he probably represents a decent value because I think you are likely to find the same problems elsewhere, but without the cleanliness that Steve brings to the table. That said, if the Best Western in Letchworth, NY were to move next door- Steve would be out of business immediately.

I encourage readers to consider my rating in context of the area- he might even deserve four of five as a matter of comparison to other spots in Old Forge- but might be a 1/5 if put next to other entry level places in the upstate NY area. If the mattresses were replaced and he dropped his fares by $20/night, I would definitely feel good about going back. If he also added coffee makers and mini fridges, I would say he is a solid 5 stars, even at his current price. If I returned again and nothing changed, I would bring an air mattress to throw over top of the existing mattresses. Just a thought.

Room Tip: Room 13 faced the road, but the noise wasn't an issue, at least during September. Bring an air mattress if you value your spine.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank WilTrvl4food

Hi WilTrvl4food,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review and your thoughts on upgrades to Christy's. Yes you are correct, the room you stayed in was just remodeled. Trust me when I say I wish I could just wave a magic wond and all the updates you talked about would happen. But with upgrades comes a cost and they go hand in hand with room rates. We try our very best to give our guests the best value for thier dollar.

On another note about a Best Western. We had one here in Old Forge and a McDonald's at one time to. But both of them are no longer here as it's very hard to make ends meet sometimes.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

you apparently can not always fine a winner with the certificate of excellent award. the worn out chairs and sagging mattress were not comfortable. it was not a motel room that welcomed you at the end of a day. so sorry I had booked in advance for a non-refundable 2 night stay. the room was clean and in a good location.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank rices1
ChristysMotel, Owner at Christy's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Hi rices1,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I do have to say the "sad depressing" part of your review for me, is you never said a word about what you felt was not up to par. We try very hard to make everyones stay at Christy's and to the area a happy memory and was not given a chance to make things right for you.

Hope the rest of your trip went well,

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Rooms seem to have been recently remodeled, the carpet and paint looked
new. It's a nice place and conveniently located. The pool was closed for the
season, but I'm sure in the summer it is great. The owner was very friendly
and helpful. There is tea and coffee available in the office, and the ice machine
is located there as well. We did see a deer in the yard one evening.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mrscleo

Hi mrscleo,

From time to time we have a few deer stop by and take a nightly nap against the pool fence. They must feel safe or something when they do it, because it happens often.

Thanks for taking the time to post a review,