“Private, beautiful and convenient”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Old Forge
Nick's Lake Campground
Flemington, New Jersey
“Private, beautiful and convenient”
Reviewed 28 September 2012

This was our first camping experience in the Adirondacks and we booked the site because of its proximity to Old Forge. Luckily, it turned out to be a great choice. Each campsite was large and nestled in such a way that you weren't on top of your neighbors. Although we were disappointed that the individual campsites didn't extend all the way to the lake, we were to learn that this is not at all uncommon in the Adirondacks. The view of the lake through the trees was very pretty, and we could clamber down to the lakeside without much effort. The bathroom and bathing facilities were adequate, and there was a large beach at the end of the lake for swimming and boating (we rented a canoe for $25 per day). We were far enough from the highway not to be disturbed and near enough to Old Forge to venture out for a meal without much hassle.

Room Tip: There are five loops of campsites and we thought loop D provided the most privacy, although that loo...
Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jorvik1

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Endicott, New York
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We traveled to Nick's Lake for the Labor Day weekend in 2012. We arrived late on Friday night and checked in with no issue. The campground is very close to downtown Old Forge but removed from it enough to be peaceful and quiet. The campground itself is very nice. The lake is gorgeous and the bathrooms/showers were clean and modern.

The negatives...we soon discovered that in our quiet loop on families camping, we were located across from a group of 5 young men who were very loudly drinking and cursing all night long. We were traveling with our 2 six year old boys, so this pretty annoying and they stayed all weekend long. The campground did not seem to be patrolled very often by the park employees.

However, we soon discovered where the park employees were spending their time. On our second day as we were returning to the campground from town, we were pulled over on the driveway into the campground for exceeding the 15 mph speed limit. I know...my fault, but were were maybe going 30 mph. So watch out for that speed limit.

Lastly, and this was not the campground's fault, but my wife dropped her wallet on the ground near the front office when we registered. It was turned into the camp office, but $180 in cash was stolen from it first. So keep an eye on your stuff while staying there.

Between the stolen cash and the speeding ticket, our inexpensive camping weekend at Nick's Lake, ended up costing us over $300. Next time we will be staying at the Old Forge Camping Resort.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank micahman
Clifton Springs, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I was not a camper at Nick's Lake, but had the experience of looking for some family members that were camping "around Old Forge" so I stopped there as it fit the description of where I thought they would be and they had given me their site number. The young man working that evening called around until he found them for me. That is going above and beyond what he had to do and I so appreciated it, I could not call them as they had no telephone reception. I was able to see my family all because of the extra effort he put in. So kudos to Nick's Lake staff, next time I will camop there!!!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Linda R
CANANDAIGUA
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I normally don't write reviews, but I just had to this time. I just spent a weekend camping at Nick's Lake w/my 4 year old daughter. The campground was terrific!!! The site was spacious, the bathrooms are VERY well maintained, and the staff was super friendly and helpful. As a single mom I was a bit concerned about camping, but the experince was wonderful and we are planning on making this an annual trip. Thanks for a wonderful weekend and endless memories!!!!!

Room Tip: I would recomend the 'E' loop...closest to the beach, playground and picnic area.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank ELAINA C
Vernon, New York
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My whole family camps at Nick's Lake at last twice a season. It's very clean, great sites. Bathrooms are spotless and plenty of showers on each loop! Very beautiful family oriented setting. Highly recommend, they book up quick - but well worth it!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank kreeves72
Rome, New York
Reviewed 7 September 2011

My family has been camping, on and off, at Nick's Lake for at least 40 years. The sites are spacious, the place is quiet, and the lake is wonderful for canoeing. If you like campgrounds with a rec. room, swimming pool and power boats don't come here. If you like quiet, easy hiking, a quiet beach, and a nice size lake for canoeing this is your place.

The rest rooms are fine. They have added a large sink for washing pots and pans with hot water.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank edshome41
Massena, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We want to thank you all for the very pleasant stay & very nice camping areas. There were four of us who reserved to stay Saturday night so we could go to Enchanted Forest, unexpectedly we all ended up getting Friday off so we all drove up just for the heck of it, we checked with Nick's Lake first thinking at the last minute they wouldn't have anything available, much to our surprise they did. The bathrooms and showers were very clean. Both sites were very clean and spacious and not close to the neighboring site. We do plan on returning in the near future. They get an AAAAA+++++++ .

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Big Moose Inn
Big Moose Inn
#1 of 1 in Eagle Bay
Pine Knoll Lodge & Cabins Inc

Been to Nick's Lake Campground? Share your experiences!