“Loons, woodpeakers, and baby deer” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nick's Lake Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Old Forge
Nick's Lake Campground
Missouri
“Loons, woodpeakers, and baby deer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Overall: We really enjoyed our stay at Nick's. We had a lake site in loop D and found the site very private and rustic. At night, we had wonderful views of the sunset.

Favorite parts: I loved all the wild life; we heard the loons in the evening and the woodpeckers throughout the day. As we drove in for the first time, we saw a mini Bambi. During a wood run, my husband saw a black bear cross the road in front of his car. We loved this "in the woods" aspect of Nick's. HOWEVER, we also loved its close proximity to Old Forge. We had cell service on our phones and we were close enough to town if we needed something (like milk!).

Wish list: I wish Loop D had its own showers.

Only negative: the young guy at the front gate wasn't very informative. We've been to many campgrounds and were surprised at how much we had to "grill him" for info. Our friends also commented on this... as they had checked in earlier than we had.

We will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank stl_locavore

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kendall, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Recently we camped at Nick's Lake Campground in Old Forge NY ( Oct. 2013 ). I wanted to comment on the size of the campsites and the overall neatness of the place. I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a reasonable place to stay. It cost us $56.00 for 2 nights ( a cabin would have cost us about $180.00 ). so there was more money for other things.If you are going to be there on a holiday weekend like we were ( Columbus Day ) make sure you get a site early ( we got ours in August ). There was only 1 left open when we got there. Only draw back is we didn't catch any fish.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Marc G
Rome, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Had our last trip of the year this weekend. Overall a very nice trip; the updated bathrooms & individual showers are a hit with me. No more having to share! Didn't get a lakefront site, but several friends did; beautiful views while you're sitting with a cup of coffee! Hiked Bald Mountain with the 2 yo on my back; pretty scary, but glad I did it. Got rained out the last night, which wasn't fun, but otherwise an excellent family vacation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank conradsny
Syracuse NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We did not have reservations but we were able to get a tent spot in loop D # 58. I have alway stayed in loop E and its very hard to get a camping site bc that loop has updated bathrooms and lakefront for some sites.

The man at the check in counter was very nice, i left it up to him to pick the site for us and he did a great job. Site 58 on loop D was not bad at all. Although they do not have updated bathroom or showers. It wasnt a problem to drive to loop E and get right into a shower. We have a great time and the deer and animals were out and about.

We went for a hike around the lake our first morning and it was perfect not to buggy or hot.

I suggest Nick's Lake campground for all to enjoy! Great beach and playground.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tara J
Geneva, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

Nick's Lake is my absolute favorite place in the world. I first traveled here 26 years ago...I was 1 year old. I've made it back every year since then. Many of my family members have been traveling there for the better part of 50 years. I'm a third generation camper at Nick's and I'm excited to say I'll be passing the tradition on to my daughter this year.

The Staff at Nick's are wonderful. It's obvious that they enjoy their work and truly care about the park. The bathrooms and shower facilities are always very clean, the grounds well manicured, and campsites kept neat.

My only complaint is that more people have discovered our little gem. I will certainly be back for many years to come.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank NDM4886
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012 via mobile

A very nice place to go for a week! No bears while we were there but you should still be careful. Heard wolves across the lake. A beautiful and well kept campground that we will be going back to for years to come!

• Stayed June 2012
      Rooms
2 Thank msydor4
Flemington, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

This was our first camping experience in the Adirondacks and we booked the site because of its proximity to Old Forge. Luckily, it turned out to be a great choice. Each campsite was large and nestled in such a way that you weren't on top of your neighbors. Although we were disappointed that the individual campsites didn't extend all the way to the lake, we were to learn that this is not at all uncommon in the Adirondacks. The view of the lake through the trees was very pretty, and we could clamber down to the lakeside without much effort. The bathroom and bathing facilities were adequate, and there was a large beach at the end of the lake for swimming and boating (we rented a canoe for $25 per day). We were far enough from the highway not to be disturbed and near enough to Old Forge to venture out for a meal without much hassle.

Room Tip: There are five loops of campsites and we thought loop D provided the most privacy, although that loo...