“Love the camping resort”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Old Forge
Old Forge Camping Resort
Leicester, New York
“Love the camping resort”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Old Forge Camping resort. We had a lakefront site, which is near the area where other posters claimed that pillaging bears literally imprisoned them in thier cabins. We didn't see any activity even close to that. One bear destroyed a full garbage can that was stupidly left out on the site next to ours. You are given the bear rules when you arrive. Follow them. It's that simple. This is a great campground with great staff and I'm sad we had to leave to come home! Can't wait till next year!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank redjacket45

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Campground was clean, easy to navigate, and a great deal for our overnight gateway!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank pegemini
Albany, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I have camped many times, and a bear sighting would not have been a problem.
When the bear/s (a mother and 2 cubs and a very large male) are at your cabin so much that you can't let your small children play in your own site, because the bears are coming by morning, noon, dusk, and night,
when you can't cook on the grill or make a sandwich, or sit at the picnic table with the family to eat a meal, when you can't sit around the campfire and roast marshmallows, when the bears are bold enough to come on your porch-even though there was no food or garbage left out-or walk into the site when a large group of 10 are out there-then things are at an unsafe level! After 2 nights there I wanted out!-I started packing our truck up as quickly as I could in the morning to leave. I couldn't even make it through this .process before a large bear was headed my way. Obviously these bears have been fed too many times here and they are no longer afraid of people. It is only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt here! There was no relaxation or sleep while we were at this campground! The bears were around our cabin constantly!
This is a beautiful place with a big bear problem-especially in the cabin area!

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank BLUEEYEDCAMPER
General M, Manager at Old Forge Camping Resort, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
We apologize for the delay in our response. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was not a pleasant one. We would like to assure you and your family that safety and guest satisfaction are our main concern. We do appreciate your input and your feedback is very important to us. We pride ourselves on our guest services, and had we been made aware of the issue while you were here, we may have been able to rectify it. When guests check in, our staff does let people know that we do have bears here in the campground and we stress the importance of not leaving out food, coolers or garbage at any time. We also let everyone know about our red security phone, and if you are not comfortable driving to the Main Lodge, the security phone number is listed on page 3 of the Gazette that we give you when you check in. We must say that with all of the abundant food in the forest this year, we truly saw very few bears. Again, we are very sorry for the unpleasantness you experienced while staying here, but we hope that at some point in the future you will give us another chance.
Albany, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Before we could even unpack the car other cabins were yelling because a bear started charging thru the campground, (we were there not even 10 minutes ) this was at 2:10 pm . So we figure no big deal just a bear passing thru. Um not quite. We had a great time at Water Safari it is an awesome place and a great price! That evening I had another bear sneak up on the side of the cabin and scare my wife to death it was about 5 feet awau from her. That evening with no food anywhere near us, no grill around and everything and i do mean everything cleaned up as by this point we are very bear cautious with having three little kids and all more bears show up and climb on and around my truck hang around on the porch or my cabin and are looking in our windows. Now we had NO food anywhere not even an empty diet Pepsi can was left near us. The first night I didn't sleep these bears had taken over the cabin area, had my kids terrified and would not leave! Bears climbing all over and around the cabin all night long. Morning comes and we have to walk literally about 50 yards to the bathroom. i peak outside to make sure the bears are gone and see none. However, after just going to the bathroom and walking back to the cabin neighbors are yelling about a bear heading right at us. Well.it wasn't a bear it was two bears and I had to have the kids run in the cabin. We left , went to Water Safari for the 2nd day had a great time and came home around 6 to beat the bears. My older son wanted a fire and I told him no smores unfortunatly as we feared the bears. My one younger son wouldn't even come outside after yet another bear coming at us. So now the fire is going and it's getting dark and my son is far too scared to stay out with the bears as you cannot see them coming. I assured him I would protect him however he was still too scared to stay out. Again bears all night long pawing the cabin, walking on the porch haning on my truck. Morning comes and trying to pack the truck to leave and more bears come running at us so we had to keep running inside. The bottom line it's a beautiful campground and water safari is lots of fun but SOMEONE has fed these bears and they are not scared at all! They roam all the time day and night and there is no way I would let my kids out of my sight . Now in all fairness we were in the back in a cabin far away the main building and perhaps it is better to be right up by the main building. We did nothing to attract the bears yet they were a constant threat and we found ourselves not enjoying the campground at all as you constantly have to watch for these bears. Down by the swimming area near the main building we never saw any bear and the lake and boats were fun... 55% of the video games in the arcade were out of order including the pool table and the rest of the video games were from the early/mid 80's. If you want to see bears up close and really personal go here. We will unfortunaly never stay here again not beacause of the campground but the bears are everywhere! We will come to old forge again but will have to stay in a hotel. We have camped all over the east coast all the way to and including Fl with alligators and even buffalo and never had an issue like this before, We have camped hundreds of times in 'bear country' and never had an issue until we camped at old forge.

Room Tip: Cabin was fine,clean and bigger than it looked on the web.
6 Thank arthur086
We apologize for the delay in our response. We appreciate your feedback and are sorry that your stay here was not asenjoyable as it could have been. We understand that when you are worried about your family and their safety it can be hard to relax. The bears were not as prevalent during the summer as previous years, as the food supply in the woods was plentiful. We do have ways to deal with bears in the campground, and wish we had known there was such a persistent bear around. The Main Lodge is open from 8 am to 10 pm, and there is a security guard on all night, so there is always someone who would be able to respond to the situation. We might have been able to chase it away, which may have changed the outcome of your vacation. We do appreciate the input and hope that you would consider a repeat visit.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2011

It was our first time to the campground and we were so impressed, we can't wait to return. We have never been to such a clean and well kept campground. Unfortunately, no bear sightings for us. My kids were on the lookout the whole time. We did have so e overly friendly chipmunks but that's it. Water safari was a blast, the train ride was nice and candy store on main street is a must-visit. :-)

Room Tip: We stayed in a cabin, very comfortable, and much better than a tent in the rain. My kids loved the p...
2 Thank Familyof5worldtravel
Rome, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2011

service,cottage, and amenities where fine,but there are so many campsites they are practically on top of one another.absolutely no privacy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: the rooms in the cottage where large enough for my family of five.
2 Thank curtis13440
Morrisville, New York
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We have stayed here 4 times. The first without children and the last three with. The staff has always been helpfull and nice. When you call to reserve they will let you request a site that you want. We have camped in a different cabin everytime and loved everyone of them. We are going back next month and I am sooo excited! I know there are alot of bears but luckily I have never seen one. We always stay at least two nights.

Room Tip: Cabins by the lodge are nice but not very private
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
#10 of 12 in Old Forge
Big Moose Inn
Big Moose Inn
#1 of 1 in Eagle Bay

Been to Old Forge Camping Resort? Share your experiences!