“Great Hampton Inn”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Olean
Toronto, Canada
“Great Hampton Inn”
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Stayed at the Olean Hampton Inn during our long weekend trip and really enjoyed out stay.

The hotel is clean, fresh, spacious and the staff are very friendly and an asset to the hotel.

We used the pool, which was clean, warm and safe for the kids. Little one did not want to leave!

The breakfast was pretty good and re-stocked regularly by the helpful staff.

We stay at alot of Hampton Inns and found this to be a great stay. Hotel rooms have a DVD player in them and the hotel lends out DVDs free of charge (good choice, 300+), a really nice extra touch. Also, the lobby had a choice of snacks/fruit, in addition to the hot drinks, avaialble all the time. Good food choices and shopping nearby.

Only drawbacks are that the beds are a little small and should be queen size, not double. Also the internet connection in the room was slow, but this seems to be standard at all Hampton Inns!!!

Overall, a great stay and we will no doubt be back!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Ritchie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Olean, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Mr. Parry,
This is Ritchie Melag, General Manager of the Hampton Inn Olean,NY. Thanks so much for your positive review! I’m glad you and the kids enjoyed staying at our property. And I am thrilled you guys took the time to enjoy our pool and the hot breakfast each morning. I’ll be sure to let our breakfast team know.
When your travels take you to the Olean area again, we’d be honored to have you and your family stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I booked a room for several nights here this month when my mother in law passed away. I made my intial reservation (one room for 4 nights), then called back to hold a block of rooms as I anticipated several out of town guests requiring rooms as well. The person helping me misunderstood and added 8 addtional rooms to my existing reservation. Had I not caught the error, I would have been charged $3000 (per Hampton Inn's cancellation policy). This entailed me making ANOTHER phone call to change my reservation again and ensure there were other rooms being held. When we checked in, staff was as nice as could be. However, they failed to mention the pool was out of order and would be for most of our visit. Had I known this up front, we would have chosen a different hotel with a working pool (two small kids in our party, lots of down time). They did give us free passes to the local Y (very nice pool) but it was a huge inconvinience. Also, on our first morning we were scrambling to get out of the hotel room as we notice housekeeping on our floor. It was 11:45 when we left. Our room was not made up that day! I fail to believe housekeeping in a 3 level hotel is completely finished by noon. Lastly, when our friend checked out (he had gotten the bereavement rate/one of the "held" rooms) they tried to charge him $169. They did eventually give him the discount rate...but this was the fourth mistake they made with us. I am very disappointed.

Pros:
Great staff - very friendly with my kids
pool, when working, was great - warm (it was finally fixed on our last day and we were able to use it for exactly one hour)
good breakfast
gave us a discount of $139/night

Cons:
$169/night is outrageous. This is a small, rural town. As another reviewer put, there is no evidence to support this kind of nightly charge.
no housekeeping after 11:45??
broken pool
screwed up our reservation and tried to overcharge someone else in our party

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear Ms. Weber,
This is Ritchie Melag, General Manager of the Hampton Inn Olean,NY. Thanks so much for your review! I apologize your last stay with us was not enjoyable. I’ve reviewed your case with our team and have taken steps to prevent any recurrenece. I'm very happy knowing that my empowered staff was helpful in assisting you.

If there is anything I can do for you to make your next stay with us more enjoyable,please let someone at the Front Desk know. Thank you.
Northfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 April 2012

OK, I would not normally review a chain hotel, because I only stay at these one night at a time on road trips! I will say that I prefer to stay at Hampton Inn's because they are so consistent with cleanliness and comfy beds. I have never been disappointed with a room at a Hampton Inn if my only goal is to get a good night's sleep!

The staff at Hampton Inn's, on the other hand, has run the gamut from disinterested, to even cool and aloof, but not this gem of a Hampton Inn in Olean NY!

THIS HAMPTON INN is so above the rest I have stayed at, even though, yes, it has not been updated!

We arrived exhausted from driving 1000 miles straight with five kids in tow, ages 14 months to 11 years...And Rick, the front desk person, simply could not do enough for us, with such a consistent pleasant demeanor, and expedient manner! From pack and plays to cots and extra blankets, Rick was instantaneous in his service, fully recognizing we needed to get everyone to bed promptly!

If you are ever traveling through that gorgeous Genesee River Valley and want a great on-the- road hotel experience, stay at the Hampton Inn in Olean. You will start the visit with a smile in your heart, and end the visit with one, too!

And BTW, they are renovating soon! Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Sweitzer11, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Olean, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Thank you very much for your honest feedback about our hotel! We enjoyed having your family stay with us. I am glad to hear that the staffs made you feel so comfortable and inviting! We strive to exceed all guests’ expectations and exceed their satisfaction as well. We hope if your travels bring you back through Olean, NY - we will see you again! Thank you for choosing Hampton Inn, Olean.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 7 April 2012

From the moment we walked in the door, to our extended stay in the lobby on the afternoon of our departure, we couldn't have been happier. The beds were comfortable, the pool refreshing, the rooms clean and pleasant, but what really made the experiecece top notch was the friendly staff. At both the afternoon check-in and our late night return after the gig we were greeted with smiles and genuine warmth. We'll be back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Sweitzer11, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Olean, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for you great feedback on your experience at our hotel. It is fantastic hear that you enjoyed your time here in Olean- and even better you were comfortable while staying at the Hampton Inn. We appreciate your time with posting here on Tripadvisor. We look forward to you staying with us again.
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed two nights. The price was comparable to other Hamptons but sadly the hotel is old and outdated. It is clean and the staff is quite nice. We did not try the pool, fitness, or business areas. With renovation this could be a great hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
Sweitzer11, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Olean, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you for your recent stay with us, we are glad your enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your honest feedback about the hotels condition- we are going to be going through a renovation this year which will improve the hotel a ton! We are very excited about this and would invite you back to the hotel to see the renovation. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to you staying with us again, when you are in the area.
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My experiences at this hotel have been great since the first day I statrted staying there.
I have bbeen staying there since it opened.
The staff taht I deal with could not be more helpful.
Carol at the front desk during the morning hours is always pleasant and helpful with my reservations

Room Tip: The king size beds are very comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul R
Thank you for your great comments about the Hampton Inn, Olean. We are so happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, not only once, but several times. Thank you for your comments about the staff, especially Carol. I will surely pass this on to them. Again, thank you for your comments, and we look forward to you staying with us again!
MO
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Really torn here. So lets start with the positive. Staff is GREAT. Parking is Good. Breakfast has a nice selection. Rooms are average. FItness room is ok. Did not use pool. No business center; with single computer in the lobby. Internet access and slow speed are unacceptable. Rates are too $$$ with no reasonable explanation and outside of any statistical analysis on rates for this area or any Hampton Inn previously have stayed in.

The only explanation is that there is little competition within a few miles. I cananot believe that I would have ever compared a Hampton to a Microtel; however the experience/reviews of the local the Microtel, Best Western or Country Inn and Suites exceeds this Hampton property. And they are much closer to Saint Bonaventure-if that is your destination. I suppose the magnetic force of getting Hilton Points is too powerful for most people.

My advice is that Hilton Properties demand immediate upgrade of internet, lower rack rates atleast 20% and put some capital into routine upgrades and maintenance.

I would like to stay here again; and for the benefit of the staff and Hampton's reputation that the management or Big Hilton needs to act on these opportunities for improvement sooner rather than later.

Again GREAT STAFF.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank alan b
Sweitzer11, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Olean, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you for taking your time and giving us feedback. We take every comment seriously and try to improve. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the staff! This is always great to hear. I do apologize about the internet issues you experienced during your stay. This is something we are upgrading in the future. Also you mentioned about updating- we have a planned renovation coming this summer 2012. Plans are in the process and it is going to be a great upgrade for us! I do hope that you can return and have better experience with the internet and check out our new renovations sometime. Thank you again for your honest feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olean
Best Western Plus University Inn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Olean
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Olean/Allegany
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salamanca
Wingate by Wyndham Ellicottville
Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino

Been to Holiday Inn Express Olean? Share your experiences!