“My family has been coming here for years!”

Slide Mountain Forest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Oliverea B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I believe my mother and father found this gem back in the late 70s/early 80s. I believe they returned every year since there at least once. Whether it was for a summer vacation or the Schlachfest in October. I now take my mother there every year for Schlachfest and we have booked 2011 already.

As I have seen from the other reviews here they pretty much cover the old world charm this House has to offer. All their meals are excellent! For Schlachfest weekend your price includes ALL meals and are pretty much all you can eat. You won't go away hungry that is for sure!

As far as cellphone coverage goes, yes you will have to head for the nearest mountain top which isn't that far away. But you could be reached if there is an emergency as all you have to do is give them the main house phone number and anyone of the staff will get you asap.

You can't go wrong staying here if you want to get away for a few days or weeks with all the fresh air, old world charm and the best owners and staff I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Room Tip: Rooms to meet any need from hotel room like to the best suite type rooms you'll ever need.
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 July 2011

Where to begin? The location? The owners and staff? The food? The rooms? It was all so great, I'm having a hard time being objective in writing this review. Oh, hell, why be objective about our 6 nights of delight?

The location is excellent - if getting away from it all is your goal. This place is so peaceful, it makes serene look like a frat party. We saw a small bear, woodchucks, many deer, and a variety of spectacular birds. The lodge is located down 4 miles of paved road from the main road, so no noise other than an occasional passing car intrudes. Just the mountains, trees, and the world famous fishing creek that was too cold to swim in.

The owners could not be more helpful. We were there for a family reunion, with 25 people ranging from 18 months to 85 years old. Everybody had a great time because the two Ralphs - Senior and Junior - looked after everyone and everything. No request was too difficult for them, though we tried not to be pests about it.

The restaurant staff were courteous and efficient - we ate wonderful, tasty breakfasts there everyday. Because we BBQ'd our own dinners, we could not try the restaurant in the evenings. However, Ralph squared made us different salads each evening and delivered them to the BBQ area for us. (Who wants to chop coleslaw for 25 people while on holiday?) The salads were very tasty.

The rooms were large, homey, comfortable, and quiet. We slept like babes. We booked out the New Chalet , all five rooms, complete with the kitchen and living room. This was the base of operations for the early risers to have coffee and a chat while waiting for the sleepy heads to get up and go to brekky. It had a TV which we did not use, but wireless internet which we did use. Each of the rooms had A/C and its own bathroom, as well as access to the deck for the three upstairs rooms.

We also used up 5 or so rooms in the main house, and all who stayed there echoed the sentiments of the New Chalet folk. The other bit of accommodation we used was a fifth wheel hookup outside the New Chalet. One of our party brought his monster home on wheels as part of a two week New England trek. Refer back to the sentence about the helpful Ralphs to guess how well everything worked out for the pseudo campers. Great!

Amenities and activities kept those that were interested very busy. A nice pool with a slide, ping pong, shuffleboard (I know, but it is the Catskills and you'd be surprised at how much fun it is), tennis, basketball, badminton, volleyball, pinball, etc, etc. All of the equipment is in good shape and there is no extra charge to use it, except for the pinball and the jukebox.

We BBQ'd at night and played guitars around the fire pit. Even the mosquitos cooperated and only flew away with the weak and infirm. Wiffle ball on the lawn, was followed by beers on the deck, followed by naps, followed by walks along the creek. What a place.

Groceries and such are found at the IGA you'll pass 15 miles or so before you get to Slide Mountain, so stock up.

The only thing I think they do wrong is not show the place to its full wonder on the website. It is much, much better than you can see there.

In conclusion, for this family gathering, I do not think we could have found a better, and more reasonably priced get away. Our guests came from Australia, China, the west coast and Long Island and everyone was impressed with how nice the place is. You will be too.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank vagabond61
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Went with my friends to the Catskills for our annual Boys Weekend. This year we decided to do rails-to-trails biking. We booked an efficiency suite at the Slide Mountain Inn.

The Inn has multiple buildings on the property. Guests staying in the main building get the B&B treatment. We were in the next building over in the apartments. We could have had breakfast for an additional $10pp. The rooms was clean. It was remodeled in the last few years, but you would have sworn that it was redone in the last few weeks. We had a king size bed, two twin beds, and a futon. The only negative about the room was that the TV didn't work. Kitchen pots and pans were getting a little old, but the dishes were in great shape. Warning --- the rooms do not have phones and your cell phone will not work anywhere within a half hour drive of the Inn. However, the room does have WiFi, so you might want to consider doing Skype.

The place is a typical Catskills resort. They have multiple places where you can setup a campfire (which we did). They have a pool, tennis, ping pong, chip and putt. There is a restaurant on the premises serving great German food and German beer.

You are right down the street from many hiking trails. Slide Mountain is only minutes away and it is the tallest peak in the Catskills. The trail is very gentle compared to many trails in the area. The Catskills Scenic Bike Trail begins in Broomeville and is 20 miles long. It is about an hour drive, but is in moderate condition. There is also a scenic railway on Rt28 about 20 minutes from the Inn.

Overall, a great weekend.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pilot_Sluggo
Reviewed 5 October 2010

My boyfriend and I spent a weekend in early October at the Forest House. We arrived late on a Friday night, and found a paper saying "Welcome!" at the front door. In the morning, an old bell rang for breakfast.

We liked this place very much. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The ambience is very warm and cozy. In the living room and the dining room, the walls seem to tell stories...

The food was excellent - we had breakfast and dinner in their restaurant. The price is really great for what you get! Free wifi, a copious breakfast, a comfortable and clean room, with views of the nature.

There are some beautiful hiking trails near the Forest House. The owner gave us very good advice on where to go.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2010

We had wonderful stay in the Slide Mountain Forest House on July 4th weekend.

The resort is run by German family. I had a feeling that I was visiting my distant relatives – the place had personal touch to it. The rooms are basic but very clean. There is a campfire every night. The patio is charming - with a cozy coach and small tables – perfect for reading after a long hike. The main building has lively living room with hunting trophy and piano.

The place is high on price/quality, perfect for hiking weekend stay and getaway from noise and cookie-cutter hotels. If you’d like to add luxury touch – spent the money saved (on your stay in the Slide Mountain) enjoying a massage in Emerson spa (it is just several minutes drive away). I am planing to do so on my next visit to the Slide Mountain Forest House – my favorite hotel in Catskills!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nataliya_Filio
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I have never really wanted to write a review of a place I stayed until this past visit.

It was the review on this site that guided me to the Forest House in the first place. I wanted a relaxing place to retreat and renew after a long year of life !

The other reviewer was right about calling it a walk back in time. Yet that is what I was looking for. I went midweek and received a nice package for the less busy time. So this is what I enjoyed at the forest house:

1) They are a family runned place that goes back many years. The owners were very aimed to please with whatever I needed and shared the history of the inn and the area.

2) when you arive you need to ring a large bell which made it a nice throw back feel to it

3) They have a large property to play and explore. They have a tennis court, shuffle board, swimming pool, and game room. They are also right on the espocus creek which runs through the catskills and have many trails on the property. They gave me a map of the area and the trails along with their level of difficulty and the miles. Even the backroads are places to hike in as well. They also have a large lawn area to play what ever you fancy. When I was in the pool a deer was a few feet away eating in the wooded area.

4) The location of the place is stunning. They are in Big Indian which is right near Belleayre Mountain and it is also in a valley. You are surrounded by lush mountains. You are also very close to many great trails in the catskill mountains.

5) They have an excellent Breakfast and they operate a restaurant which is open on the weekends in the summer which has great food.

6) the room I stayed in had a small fridge and a couch which opens into a bed along with a queen sized bed which was really great for me.

7) There is a large lake nearby to have fun for hours.

Overall, I had a great time at the place.

So there were some negatives about the place:

1) There is no cell phone coverage in the area so all you need to do is bring a laptop and you can make calls.

2) If you are looking for close by water parks you wil not find one. But you can still drive to one.

3) It is a very rustic area and many places are a drive yet that is the appeal for the nature lover which I am..

Yet overall I would highly recommend this Inn. It is a hidden Gem in the Catskills.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank naturegatherer
Reviewed 21 September 2009

If you like (or at least don't mind) lots of stuffed animal heads staring down at you then this is the place for you. The decor is solidly rustic, but the service and price were great. It's well located, just off of route 28, near to a number of good hikes. Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends

Been to Slide Mountain Forest House? Share your experiences!