“Warm, simple, cozy”

Slide Mountain Forest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Oliverea B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2010

My boyfriend and I spent a weekend in early October at the Forest House. We arrived late on a Friday night, and found a paper saying "Welcome!" at the front door. In the morning, an old bell rang for breakfast.

We liked this place very much. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The ambience is very warm and cozy. In the living room and the dining room, the walls seem to tell stories...

The food was excellent - we had breakfast and dinner in their restaurant. The price is really great for what you get! Free wifi, a copious breakfast, a comfortable and clean room, with views of the nature.

There are some beautiful hiking trails near the Forest House. The owner gave us very good advice on where to go.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 September 2010

We had wonderful stay in the Slide Mountain Forest House on July 4th weekend.

The resort is run by German family. I had a feeling that I was visiting my distant relatives – the place had personal touch to it. The rooms are basic but very clean. There is a campfire every night. The patio is charming - with a cozy coach and small tables – perfect for reading after a long hike. The main building has lively living room with hunting trophy and piano.

The place is high on price/quality, perfect for hiking weekend stay and getaway from noise and cookie-cutter hotels. If you’d like to add luxury touch – spent the money saved (on your stay in the Slide Mountain) enjoying a massage in Emerson spa (it is just several minutes drive away). I am planing to do so on my next visit to the Slide Mountain Forest House – my favorite hotel in Catskills!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nataliya_Filio
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I have never really wanted to write a review of a place I stayed until this past visit.

It was the review on this site that guided me to the Forest House in the first place. I wanted a relaxing place to retreat and renew after a long year of life !

The other reviewer was right about calling it a walk back in time. Yet that is what I was looking for. I went midweek and received a nice package for the less busy time. So this is what I enjoyed at the forest house:

1) They are a family runned place that goes back many years. The owners were very aimed to please with whatever I needed and shared the history of the inn and the area.

2) when you arive you need to ring a large bell which made it a nice throw back feel to it

3) They have a large property to play and explore. They have a tennis court, shuffle board, swimming pool, and game room. They are also right on the espocus creek which runs through the catskills and have many trails on the property. They gave me a map of the area and the trails along with their level of difficulty and the miles. Even the backroads are places to hike in as well. They also have a large lawn area to play what ever you fancy. When I was in the pool a deer was a few feet away eating in the wooded area.

4) The location of the place is stunning. They are in Big Indian which is right near Belleayre Mountain and it is also in a valley. You are surrounded by lush mountains. You are also very close to many great trails in the catskill mountains.

5) They have an excellent Breakfast and they operate a restaurant which is open on the weekends in the summer which has great food.

6) the room I stayed in had a small fridge and a couch which opens into a bed along with a queen sized bed which was really great for me.

7) There is a large lake nearby to have fun for hours.

Overall, I had a great time at the place.

So there were some negatives about the place:

1) There is no cell phone coverage in the area so all you need to do is bring a laptop and you can make calls.

2) If you are looking for close by water parks you wil not find one. But you can still drive to one.

3) It is a very rustic area and many places are a drive yet that is the appeal for the nature lover which I am..

Yet overall I would highly recommend this Inn. It is a hidden Gem in the Catskills.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank naturegatherer
Reviewed 21 September 2009

If you like (or at least don't mind) lots of stuffed animal heads staring down at you then this is the place for you. The decor is solidly rustic, but the service and price were great. It's well located, just off of route 28, near to a number of good hikes. Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2009

This family run inn has the charm of a bygone era. On our first visit the Combe family made to feel like returning regulars. Other guests have been coming annually for 4 decades. With the beautiful surroundings, friendly atmosphere and exceptional German fare you will quickly realize what keeps them coming back.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank erichas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oliverea
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Oliverea
Starlite Motel
Starlite Motel
#1 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to Slide Mountain Forest House? Share your experiences!