“It was wonderful retreat place from city!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oliverea
Shangri-La at Mountain Gate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Oliverea
Reviewed 8 April 2009

I stayed there two years ago by myself because I wanted to get away from city. Upon arrival, the owner greeted to me and showed me and explained that there was no power due to the thunder storm right before my arrival. I was surprised but the owner served me hot tea and invited me to their fire place in the dining room. I enjoyed chatting with his family at the fire place and reading several spiritual books at their library. They have a great indian food and I enjoyed having dinner with this family, which made me feel so comfortable. Later in the day, they showed me the room after power was back on. The room was decent size for myself and clean.
Next day, I hiked trail near the hotel and climbed mountain on the same day. The owner was so kind to show me around in the area. I really needed this retreat at the time and I really appreciate to the owner and his family for their hospitality. I recently checked this site and I felt terrible to see bad reviews. Unfortunately, I think those people expect too much for everything. I wanted to write my experiences there so people can have better judgement. I can say this is great retreat place if you are feeling down or getting away from city.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank Laskmi
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La at Mountain Gate

Reviewed 17 March 2009

This place makes the Bates Motel look like the Waldorf. THE most filthy, discusting, insect-infested place I have ever seen. I couldn't find them on Trip Advisor or I wouldn't have stayed here in the first place. ALL of the bad reviews are accurate, so I won't repeat them. Once we saw our room, we ran back to the front desk to ask for a refund. BUT the girl at the desk had locked up for the night and gone to bed. We were the only people on the property. We had no choice but to spend the night, but we ran screaming at first light. There was mold and used bars of soap in the shower. Dust and trash behind the beds. The windows were taped shut with packing tape - I guess to keep drafts out.
I will say the people are friendly IF you can get a hold of them. If took us a few hours to track someone down! They eventually did refund our money and appeared to be really shocked that we didn't enjoy our stay!!! I don't think they understand how terrible this place is. The website makes it look amazing, but it is a lie. This place is horrendous. NEVER STAY HERE.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rlocher
Reviewed 9 December 2008

I haven't stayed here, I have a second home in the area, but I do come for the food. I usually just get it to go, which makes sense for me especially since I haven't seen another diner here in a couple of years. I will say that the motel is in a beautiful, though remote, peaceful location, though the motel is in disrepair.

The food is excellent. In fact I would say it is probably the best Indian food I have ever had and I have tried most of the best Indian place's in NYC. It's a shame they haven't kept up the motel as I would hate to see them fail. So come for the food at least if you are in the area.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 6 January 2008

If you like to hear only Nature sounds, far away from crowd and city noise, this is the best place. Well, rooms might be not so fancy as some people got used to, but pretty clean. As another reviewer posted, "location you can not beat", located at the end of small local road, surrounded by mountains, with creek what you can hear. I can spend days sitting on the porch, and enjoying relaxed atmosphere around. Local trails are in minutes from the place. Yet they have amazing Indian vegetarian food for guests, although i am not vegeterian it was a pleasant experience. What else? I traveled trough all New England back and forth, Canadian or US part, and my conclusion is, that it's a closest and quietest place what you can get in around 3hrs from city(NYC). If you are Nature lover, and not too picky you will love that place and will come over and over again.

• Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank old_norse
Reviewed 1 October 2007

The most disgusting, run down, dirty, filthy place. Rooms are tiny and very old. Vacuum never touched the floors, and toilets were never cleaned with brown lines in the bowl and used toilet paper sticking to the sides. I don't know how I missed this tripadviser website and did not see all these reviews!!!! We requested refund from the manager/owner but he turned very rude. I wished we took the pictures of the place to show it the BBB nad consumer bureau but we did not want to stay in the room for even a minute and we could think is to get out. We did not get our money back (I'm working on it with my credit card company but have little hope) and end-up staying in a very nice country inn just a mile away but had to pay again for the night. Honestly, I was happy to pay whatever I had to just not to stay in that terrible place. NEVER EVER even think of renting a room there.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Galaxy775
Reviewed 22 February 2007

I wish we read these reviews before we stayed here. Would not recommend this to anyone. We were so excited to go to the mountains for the long weekend.

When we got there, the lady in the reception did not say much of anything, asked our name, handed us a bill and went to show us our room. She was afraid of our dog even though the place says dogs welcome. But, ok, not everyone is a dog enthusiast.

The room was terrible, extremely small for 2 adults, a 9 months old and a dog, we had to go outside to turn around. Dirty and run down. The thermostat turned itself off in the middle of the night (with negative temperatures outside) and we couldn't make it work and had to put it in the bathroom as the plug didnt work. Water pressure non existent; hot water in maybe 45 minutes so by the time the milk bottle warmed up, my son was going ballistic. No water at all in the middle of the night !I was ready to leave in the middle of the night but stuck it out and left in the morning.

The owner didnt seem to concerned that we were leaving, based on the other reviews, this is obviously normal that people check out abruptly. The food was good, not great but had to be ordered 45 mins ahead. Nobody around reception ever, had to pay for everything ahead or right after the food (now I know why as they would never get our money after).

Simply, I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank usanda
Reviewed 2 January 2007

Where to start?
My husband and I and two of our friends decided to stay at the Shangri-La as we needed a place to stay in the area, we all love Indian food, and this place was reasonably priced. When we called to make the reservation, we were told that the rooms were not fancy, but very clean. Obviously we weren't expecting the Four Seasons, but it was made clear that the room we booked would at least be clean.
When we arrived at the hotel, we put our things in the room and noticed that the place was not as clean as we were made to believe. We didn't look too closely, but to start with, there was a ladybug infestation. The owner told us it was a problem in the area. Fine. Perhaps if the screens on the windows had been intact, there wouldn't have been so many in the room.
Spiders. On nearly every surface.
Large bug carcasses in the bathroom and main room.
Fine. We were starving and thought it may not be that bad, so we went to dinner. Food was fine. No staff - the woman who checked us in, took our order and then left, presumably to make our food while her daughter (maybe 13 years old?) took over waiting the tables. Yes, there were other people there. It became very quiet all of a sudden when the music died. We continued to eat our meals, speaking in hushed tones because of the lack of ambient noise. Very odd.
After dinner, we headed back to our room where we began to realize the true extent of the filth. That carpet has probably never seen a vacuum. No, I am not exaggerating. Someone had lit incense in the room prior to our arrival, but it didn't do anything to make the room more livable.
We all kept our socks on and eventually put our shoes on as well. It was gross.
My husband and I decided to move our bed away from the wall so we wouldn't have any creepy-crawlies coming off the walls into our bed while we slept. Big mistake. We should have left well enough alone. The furniture has obviously never been moved. There were bug bits, cocoons, mysterious nests as well as countless dustballs between the bed and the wall on the carpet. We had to jump out of the way to dodge the ladybugs that were flying at us from all angles (turns out we were on THEIR territory).
We looked behind the nightstand and there was an old box of granola bars, some empty ladybug 'shells', an earring, some toenails as well as the usual bug nests and dustballs.
My husband took pictures of the scene.
We were all very uncomfortable, but even more so when we noticed flecks of blood on the sheets and pillow cases. Not ours, either. YUCK!!!
We went to get our money back and the owner asked if she could show us another room. We agreed to look at another room, which may have been cleaner (although I think it was just decorated in lighter colours), but the carpet was still a nghtmare. We decided to leave - the analogy my friend used is when you get sick at a restaurant, they can offer you something else to eat, but you're already past the point of no return. We were so grossed out at this point, none of us would have had a good night's sleep. It was late - after 10, but we still opted to check out and drive to another town (Kingston) to stay at the Holiday Inn. Much better, and not much more money. It was paradise - a Shangri-La, if you will - compared to our first attempt.
My friend asked the owner if there was something he'd need to sign to process the refund and she said "well, I showed you another room, but you didn't want it" (implying she shoulnd't have to give our money back)!!! She claimed there was no way the room was as dirty as we had described, that she had checked the room herself and lit incense (we didn't see the point in letting her know that incense is not a cleaning product). My friend then said "we're not making this up - look, we have pictures". Her face changed when he said this and demanded to see them. She wanted my husband to hand our camera over to her, but he held on to it and took her through the slide show/horrorfest of pictures he'd taken. She demanded he delete them and said she'd give us the refund if we agreed to delete the pictures.
We are not posting the pictures here, as we said we would delete them, but you can imagine what they looked like given her insistence we destroy the 'evidence'.
No way any positive review of this hotel is real. No way.
This hotel is the exact opposite of Shangri-La. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank TorontoRaven
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oliverea
Cold Spring Lodge
Slide Mountain Forest House
The Alpine Inn
The Alpine Inn
#2 of 2 in Oliverea

Been to Shangri-La at Mountain Gate? Share your experiences!