“Lack of hospitality. Nothing delightful.”
Review of The Alpine Inn

The Alpine Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Oliverea B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Lack of hospitality. Nothing delightful.”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

My husband and I had been on a 4 day road trip until we arrived at this Inn. We were excited and inspired by the foliage we had seen through the Seneca Wine Trail. Before heading back to our home (NYC) we decided to stop for two nights at the Catskills. I always remember these mountains in one of my favorite childhood movies, good ol' Dirty Dancing. There was some nostalgia added there. We didn't do thorough research on this Inn prior to booking, as we were on this spontaneous kick. We saw it online, reviewed the pictures and booked it! Besides, after all the wonderful experiences we had on all the other Inns (Bed and Breakfast) we had visited in the past, we never thought that we would be received with a cold snare.

We entered the Inn and an older man greeted us. But there definitely was no warm greeting, no smile. The elderly man pointed his finger towards another direction. His finger letting us know we were not at the right place. My husband and I go around through a different door and there is the same elderly man just looking at us, waiting for us to speak. It was extremely condescending. He didn't ask us any questions. I suppose he didn't want to be intrusive, which I can understand, but he was so distant it was more like a coldness was hovering over him. He gave us the keys to our room and that was it. We were on our own. He didn't make any recommendations nor did he give us any insight on the surroundings as most Inn keepers do. Such recommendations would have been even more helpful in a location as secluded as this.

The Inn is in a serene location. You can hear the river perfectly throughout the night if you keep your windows open. It's like a natural sleeping pill! The rooms are clean, very clean, but very much outdated. I felt like I was walking into a 1970's bedroom. With that being said, it was well maintained.

The next morning we went up to have our much anticipated breakfast, where a younger man provided us with a verbal explanation on what was on the "menu." Needless to say my husband and I asked for scrambled eggs, and instead both of us received a very sad, non-appealing looking omelette. It was like the expired version of an omelette. It seems like he just slapped some butter on the pan, threw in two eggs and these massive pieces of mushroom. Tasteless! The coffee was warm to cold. I love my coffee hot in the mornings! Especially if I asked for it that way. However, he did make some french toast which my husband seemed to have enjoyed.

Our last morning there we dreaded going back to have breakfast due to the lack of good service at the very least. I called the front desk, and in spite of it all, I say "Good morning,' as the man picks up the phone on the other end. My greeting received a silent response. He just remained quiet on the other end until I spoke again. I deliberately stayed quiet as well because I was expecting a courteous reply. But wishful thinking on my end!

Over all, my husband and I were eager to check out that morning. We were elated as we drove away and knew we would never return to that Inn. Don't misunderstand me, the Catskills is a must see, and if you love to hike and see the foliage, this is definitely your kind of place. If you are looking for tranquility and want to be among nature, come to the Catskills! But stay away from this place.

Never to Return,
L.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Linjen P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New jersey
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We spent 2 nights there for a quick golf getaway. Having read previous reviews I thought I knew what to expect.
The good: beautiful location, excellent breakfast, and a nice room, which was spotless and not musty at all (as other reviews indicated). The place is dated, but very welled care for.
The bad:
1) Coffee. We are early risers, and when i checked in I was told breakfast starts at 8:30. I asked where we could get coffee earlier than 8:30. We were the only guests in the entire Inn the first night, and I was told I could get coffee 4 miles down the road near the highway. I'm sorry, but having a coffee maker in the room or having a pot in the lobbyavailable after 7 AM is not a lot to ask. I did the drive of 8 miles in the mornings to get a simple cup of coffee.
2) Dinner: The following is directly from their web page "Dinner is available with prior reservations, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, or naturally anytime for special functions."
Well you can forget that. There is no dinner served Friday night. False advertisement. Had to drive miles to eat each night.
3) Pool: It was late August and since I saw the following on their web site " take a dip in our refreshing pool - lean back and simply enjoy the luxury of leisure.", I chose this INN. The pool was half full of dirty water, with algae floating on top and debris on the bottom. There is no way anyone could swim in the pool. When I asked the owner, he admitted that due to the flood one year ago it has not been operational since then. They never mentioned the state of the pool on the phone when reserving or when we checked in. Again, false advertising.
If you find yourself in this area looking for lodging, go to Slide Mountain Forest House across the street. I stayed there a few years ago and it was far superior.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jerseyguy314

Travellers are raving about these Oliverea hotels

Long Island, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We have visited this hotel many times and always look forward to our next vacation at the Alpine Inn. The buildings are modelled after Swiss/bavarian chalets along with breathtaking views of the mountains from every bedroom and window planters filled with red geraniams and hanging ivy. This hotel is not only in the valley of the highest peaks in the Catskill Mountains but is surrounded by streams and roadways and paths for taking those early morning or after dinner walks into a world so remote from city life that you would think you are in Europe and not 100 miles from New York City.

The Inn is family owned and the second and third generation of Griesers are are there is assist every customer. The Griesers are also the type of people that you can sit down and have heart to heart talks with about any topic ranging from politics, the environment to life in general.

There is also a lot to see a do in the area. In addition to walks and hikes there is nearby white water tubing, horse back riding and visits to galleries and shops and concert halls in nearby towns such as Woodstock. In the winter there is both downhill and cross country skiing.

For those seeking an Inner big city Hilton or Marriott, this is not your hotel but if you want to spend a few days or a week in the country where you can hear the rustle of a brook or watch deer cross the lawn in the morning or walk trails into the mountains and eat wonderul home cooked meals and returen at night to your bed in a near luxury room, then book your next vacation at the Alpine Inn. You too will be a convert and will come back many times to re-experience this beautiful, serene part of the world.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Alpine vary from simple bedrooms with balonies overlooking the woods or mountains t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elliotu
Hudson, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Absolutely beautiful location but that's about where it ended. Stayed in the building to left of the office up on the hill. Mice turds on the bathroom counter and on the dresser. Water preasure was so low we couldn't keep water flowing through the shower head. Wife used a cup to wash and rinse her hair. Traveled with two other couples. The couple who stayed on the left side of the building had water pressure. Those of us in rooms on the right side didn't have pressure.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bryan c
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Thank you for being such wonderful hosts for our first trip to the Catskills. I felt I had walked back in time when I walked into the lobby. Yes, some may call the decor "dated", but it is in such pristine condition - not a tear in the wallpaper or a rip in the carpet - with a perfect view of nothing but nature. One reviewer mentioned the grumpy staff, but I found them to be pleasantly sarcastic. I hope I have the opportunity to return someday.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Catskill, New York, United States
Reviewed 26 April 2012

this was a great inn. The prices were reasonable and the food was great. It is in the perfect area and has a great setting. host was very helpful and anwsered all of are questions. There breakfest is good and it is fast. If you are looking for a good time this is the place.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
summit, nj
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We have stayed at at Alpine over the years and have booked friends there. It's a beautiful setting with wonderful mountain views. The interior however is musty and dated. Rooms are rundown and not worth the price. Good breakfasts though. The innkeepers are a most ungracious lot, grumpy and abrupt as if they are doing you a big favor by registering you. AND beware...they charge a $25 per reservation cancellation fee--even if you cancel within the grace period. I was told this was to cover processing. Processing what? A handwritten form. This place deserves to go out of business. It's time is up!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank muffinatorSummit_Nj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oliverea
Cold Spring Lodge
#3 of 3 in Fleischmanns
The Graham & Co.
The Graham & Co.
#1 of 2 in Phoenicia

Been to The Alpine Inn? Share your experiences!