The Alpine Inn
US$176
Travelocity
Black Bear Lodge(Prattsville)
US$103
Cold Spring Lodge(Big Indian)
TripAdvisor
Starlite Motel(Big Indian)
TripAdvisor
Xenia Resort(Hunter)
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This place had frienldy service and delicious breakfast. The decoration and equipment of the interior were from 80's, but working ok. The cabins had properly working wireless access, even the valley was out of cellular coverage!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I returned again for another weekend at the Alpine Inn and I have to be honest. I have been going back to this hotel for over 30 years. The rooms are like new. The grounds are manicures and they are always fixing things up. According to Eric and Edna, the owners, Maintenance on a hotel is a constanst process in order to keep up excellence and excellent it is. The location is perfect. It is surrounded by mountains and you really feel like you are in a Swiss resort, not 100 miles from NYC.

On this trip I had a special treat. I was able to see a juvenile bear on the property. Unfortunately I could not take a picture or even get too close because even though bears are bigger than I am they are terrified of people and run at the instant of seeing a person. I also saw a doe and a fawn who were also scared of people but these were visible from panoramic windows in the kitchen.

I would recommend this as an all season resort but advise making reservations in advance

Room Tip: I normally opt for the least expensive rooms. They all have showers, comfy beds and balconies overlooking the mountains. There are gerananium plants overhanging each balcony. For those who want more, there are some rooms with jacuzzis
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elliotu
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This is a very well maintained chalet / ski lodge inn, whose owners have managed the property for almost 50 years. They take great care in providing a quality stay. The lodge serves a large home-cooked breakfast. The room was clean and in good condition. The grounds are beautiful. There is a stream at the base of the property and a swimming pool. It is near hiking trails, skiing, tubing, mountain biking, and antique stores. Close to the charming hamlet of Phoenicia. The staff was very helpful. At night, it is very quiet. You can sleep very well. There is cable TV in the room. Because you are the mountains, cell coverage is spotty at best. So if you want to escape and "unplug," this is the place to do it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Having booked the 3 nights at Alpine Inn - sight unseen - except on the web, we were a little nervous! However, on arrival we were delighted to see the beautifully manicured rolling lawns, brilliant flowers, German-Austrian chalet style houses surrounded by the dense trees of the Catskill Mountains!
The registration process was swift and directions to our rooms were clear. One of our company was slightly handicapped but, as promised, the management had arranged rooms for us on the first floor with only 3 steps at the entryway.
The rooms were very clean, simple, and the beds were very firm and conducive to a good night's sleep. The outside porch on each room helped us to enjoy the outdoors and read and still be near our room.
The breakfast was delicious, plentiful, had varied choices. The fresh fruit was particularly tasteful.
The pool was a nice size and not crowded; we were only sorry that the weather allowed us only one afternoon of swimming.
The beauty of the setting of Alpine Inn was breathtaking! The peace and quiet of the place and the surroundings helped us New York City residents - relax, unwind and be in touch with the marvels of the universe and the realities of the eternal! Thanks to the Greisser Family for their hospitality!

Room Tip: Every room has a balcony or deck. If handicapped, the 2 front rooms in Eidelweiss were very convenient and easily reached.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Once again the Family set off on destination wedding; the destination being Big Indian, in beautiful upstate New York about 30 miles west of Kingston, which believe it or not was once the capitol of New York! Upon arriving we were barely greeted by a not so cheery desk clerk who dashed our dreams of a cool dip in the open pool we passed on the way in by advising us it had not been serviced in 2 years and is now basically a science project on the property. The rooms were "quaint" and apparently the way it worked was; if you had a King sized bed you got a 12" TV and if you had a double bed in your room, you got a whopping 19" TV. The a/c in my room worked, thank God and the rugs were clean enough to go barefoot without looking like you were once again ink-stamped in the delivery room. My bathroom was okay except the water pressure was poor. There was no ice near the cabin/houses where the rooms were in; so you had to hump up to the main office cabin/building, ring the bell, hoped someone was within ear-shot & ask them for ice. (Ice was not a big request) I found the one soda/water vending machine while checking out; it was hidden in an off-corridor from the office where you checked in. Okay, the biggest positive was the free breakfast; that you are charged a $2.00 service fee for. It will be the best part of your stay and keep your stomach smiling till lunch-time when you consider buying a plate of pulled pork for $12.00 about 3.5miles down the road. The guy who serves breakfast is friendly and also the "ice-man" so be nice to him. Lastly, in rushing out of my room, I inadvertently left 2 rings behind that weren't worth much but carried a lot of sentimental value and after getting about 7 miles away returned to find them on the desk in my room that was being cleaned next to the tip I left for the cleaning lady, who was also standing in the doorway telling me she tried to catch me but we roared off too quickly. Honesty is always appreciated, a big thank you to her. Well, until our next Family wedding or a trip to Lake George, I wish you all Happy Road-Tripping!

Room Tip: You are up in the mountains; it's ALL good.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family