The Alpine Homestead
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Very Good 4/5
Gore Mountain Lodge(North Creek)
Excellent 5/5
Great 4.5/5
  • Free Internet
View Hotel
Garnet Hill Lodge(North River)
Great 4.5/5
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
Blue Ridge Motel(Schroon Lake)
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsb bbed and breakfastenjoyed our staywater pressurehostshomestaybathrobes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed here for a weekend while my wife ran the Adirondack Marathon in Schroon Lake. Our room was very lovely and the king bed was very comfortable. The private bathrooms are not en-suite though so you had to walk down the hall. Not an issue for me personally but some might not like that. Rooms are spotless and comfortable. They are a bit small, but this is normal for a B&B and to be expected. If you want a big room, stay at a big chain hotel. If you want a great room with character and a homely feel, stay at the Alpine Homestead.

The house was extremely clean and properly kept. There are plenty of chairs inside and outside on the porch to sit and read or just enjoy the country air. The inn keepers are very friendly and attentive to their guests. They love their home and it shows. Breakfast is fresh, delicious and hearty. They were very accommodating for the marathon runners who required some special foods for the race and even had some bananas and home made granola bars for the runners to take with them for the race.

The B&B is about 30 minutes from Schroon Lake and 15 minutes from Gore Mountain so it is a drive to food and entertainment, but worth every minute. We would go back there in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Each room has a specific purpose, call the inn keepers and tell them what you are looking for and they can ensure you get the right room (i.e. single traveler, traveling with children etc...)
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I almost don't want to gush too much about the great time I had at The Alpine Homestead because you need to have this experience for yourself. I can tell you that you will sleep soundly, eat extremely well and feel profoundly content.
Peggy and Barry are attentive and caring hosts who will make you feel special...as if they were waiting just for YOU to come to their home. That type of natural hospitality is rare and memorable.
Enjoy a pre-breakfast cup of coffee on the wrap-around front porch and watch the hummingbirds, breathe in the fresh mountain air and delight in the beautiful flowers in the surrounding garden. In the evenings get settled in the Great Room for an evening of television or reading....the leather couch was my favorite comfy place!
I also booked a half day kayak trip with the Adirondack Mountain and Stream Guide Service that Peggy and Barry suggest and had a wonderful experience.
As a solo traveler, I couldn't have asked for a more satisfying 3 day stay. I only wish my time at The Alpine Homestead didn't have to end. Thankfully, the memories will carry me through until my next visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Peggy and Barry were incredibly nice hosts, greeting us, making recommendations, offering tea or coffee or drinks. The Bed and Breakfast itself is filled with antiques which Peggy graciously showed us, explaining the history of several of the pieces. Breakfasts were both healthy and filing (granola and yogurt and eggs and muffins and fruit!). The rooms were comfortable, beds supportive and every detail attended to (robes and soap etc.). We were picking up our daughter at a camp about 45 minutes away and our hosts left the light on for our very late return. We have stayed at many bed and breakfasts and this was definitely one of the best places we have ever stayed!! Peggy and Barry could not have been more gracious hosts and the prices are very reasonable. Stay here! You won't regret it!!

Room Tip: The king size room was very spacious and comfortable. Full size room a bit small.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband and I stayed with Peggy and Barry when we went to pick up our new puppy. Barry welcomed us warmly and showed us around the house. Peggy joined him and made us feel at home. Our early breakfast request was graciously accommodated. And, if you want a full breakfast, this is it! Many local ingredients were used and the breakfast was prepared fresh that morning. The smells throughout the house were wonderful! The bed (king size) was very comfortable and the house is lovely. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Spent the better part of a week here with my three kids and had a wonderful stay. The hosts are very hospitable, helpful, and kid-friendly. Breakfast is outstanding. While Olmsteadville is a tiny town, it is well-located for a wide variety of outdoor activities. Some thoughts on the one 'poor' review from January: It is true that the rooms are small and somewhat rustic, but the common areas are spacious and comfortable. The comment about restaurants is not really fair. There are dozens of restaurants within 8 to 30 minutes away.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family