“Cabins by the lake dated, but beautiful lake views”

Red Carpet Inn On The Lake
Red Carpet Inn On The Lake
Ranked #5 of 6 Oneonta B&B and Inns
Orlando, Florida
“Cabins by the lake dated, but beautiful lake views”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This family-run motel had fairly decent prices for a two bedroom on the lake, but the room was very dated and had more of a cabin feel, which, I suppose, is part of its charm. The bathroom was very tiny and the water took forever to get hot in the morning, but in their defense it was an unusually cold day for July. The beds were clean, but we found dust and old cheerios under one of the beds. The full kitchen had a large, but noisy fridge and a few plates, bowls, pans, etc. but no utensils other than plastic forks and spoons. The free continental breakfast was very basic: bagels, cereal, coffee. I had to ask for hot water for my tea. The big attraction for us was the lake...absolutely beautiful and just a few steps away. Great place to bring a boat with docks available.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Clinton Corners, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Right on rt.28 in the outskirts of Oneonta, about 20-25 min from Cooperstown, NY. Located right on Goodyear Lake with wonderful views, swimming dock, fishing and boating docks/piers. Ask for a room in the rear facing the lake. You'll wake up to a beautiful morning and get to watch a even more beautiful sunset. Very peaceful and quiet, I have no complaints. We had a 2 bed set up, it was quiet comfortable for my friend and I. Very spacious and clean! Oh and they have a "safe/Fridge", it's a mini fridge with a full locking door with a "pocket" for your valuables. The ladies who helped me with Check in and out were pleasant and much more personable than those other higher end commercial hotels who snub noses at you. Also, the bathroom is just a tub/shower combo and toilet, your sink (which is in beautiful granite), is located outside the bathroom. Plenty of lights and outlets. We stayed on a Thursday in to Friday and got a great price though Priceline. I highly recommend this inn to anyone traveling the area looking for a quiet and beautiful rest.

Room Tip: Request a room in the back for exquisite views of the lake!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jlg72085
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed 5 nights at this delightful motel. The manager, Mary, is so helpful and kind. Be sure to get on the lakeside--the view is incredible. The motel is on the older side but clean and the rooms are large with lots of areas to store things. The beds were very comfortable and it was so quiet. The room has a tiny refrigerator, a 4 cup coffee pot and a microwave so that helps to get something fixed in a pinch. The breakfast isn't much but there are plenty of places for a full breakfast in town. I would recommend this motel for the location and the price. We were there for the Cooperstown Dreams Park so much of our day was spent watching our grandson play baseball. Even though it was 10 miles away the price was so much better than the other hotels closer to the Park. HAving that beautiful lake to look at was an added bonus to this very nice motel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lakeside are a must---gorgeous view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
East Troy, WI
Reviewed 12 June 2013

The Red Carpet Inn on the Lake is a clean and reasonably priced motel on Goodyear Lake. It is showing its age with some repairs that need to be made, but our room was clean and quiet. There are rooms on two levels of the high hill that overlooks the lake. Ours was on the higher level. The lower level rooms are close to the lake - a little older but similarly clean and quiet although if you rent one of these early in the season, there may be some plumbing/water problems. Places to eat are within a ten minute drive from the motel but no closer. In all, this was an ok place to stay for our purposes: a trip to explore family history in Cooperstown. The front office staff were very friendly and quick to assist.

Room Tip: Lower level building is close to the lake. Upper level provide a good view of the area.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Long Island
Reviewed 23 May 2013

My family stayed at this motel during Suny Oneonta's College Graduation weekend. At this time, the prices of all hotels go up in the area, and there are no available rooms for months. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and had my son's graduation the next morning. After going out to dinner and seeing a movie, we returned to the room ready to turn in for the night. To our shock and disgust, the sink water came out black when wanting to brushing our teeth. We tried the sink in the efficiency kitchen area, and that too came out black. At this point, there was no place to go. In the morning, we tried again to run the water for a shower, and it was still a problem. Could you imagine that we had to brush our teeth with bottled water and couldn't shower before the ceremony? The worst part was when I had to return the key to the main office. I asked for the manager, and the man at the desk told me he was the assistant manager and the manager was not available. So, I told him about the water problem, and he was aware of it!! He tried to explain to me that they have a problem with the wells and that they get backed up. Well, this is not my problem! This dump cost $196 for one night, and the least they could do is provide a room with clean, running water. Luckily, my credit card company is handling this fiasco and couldn't have been nicer. The only nice thing about this room is the view of the lake. Otherwise, this place is the pits! The Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn have never disappointed us. Unfortunately, they were completely booked.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Moosherella

Travellers are raving about these Oneonta hotels

Paradise, Newfoundland
Reviewed 5 December 2012

This hotel was excellent value for the money. It's situated on a rural road, surrounded by the lake and pleasant green space. The staff was friendly and helpful. On the downside, there isn't anywhere to eat without driving. There is no restaurant in the hotel, and the nearest one is several miles away. I would recommend bringing your own food - the rooms are equipped with microwaves and fridges.

In terms of the room, mine was clean, but dated. I noticed some reviewers indicated that their rooms were recently renovated. My guess would be that they were referring to the lakeside rooms, as I stayed in the main building, which looked like it hadn't been updated in quite some time. The WIFI signal was weak, and didn't reach my room, which was near the end of the building.

All that being said, I thought that the value for money was excellent, and would stay at the hotel again if I was in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Erie, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Clean, newly renovated rooms at a great value. Plus a nice location on the lake. Motel parking right outside the room and a second door which opens to the interior of the motel. Be sure to ask for a lake view room.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneonta
Holiday Inn Oneonta
Clarion Hotel
#5 of 9 in Oneonta
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
Courtyard Oneonta Cooperstown Area

Been to Red Carpet Inn On The Lake? Share your experiences!