“Highly Recommend This Hotel”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Oneonta
Reviewed 4 June 2013

This was an unexpected stop on my journey, but a hotel I'd stay at again the next time I am in that area of New York. The front desk staff made me feel welcome, and helped me get oriented in a town I'd never heard of. Oneonta is a charming place with refined shops and restaurants, and is a very scenic part of New York. I am definitely going to return in Autumn to see the leaves change colors, as this hotel is located in the foothills of the Catskills. Whenever I stay at any hotel, my first concern is cleanliness. After a close inspection of my room, I was pleased to find it met my high standards and expectations. Thank you to the front desk staff and to housekeeping for a very nice stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank chel9999
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Its rewarding that there are so many thoughtful guests who are not afraid to pen a compliment, Thank you so much.

...and thanks for traveling

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Very awkward hotel access (brick entry difficult to navigate with a luggage cart, doors impossible to open while pushing a loaded luggage cart uphill over bricks), bordering on non-compliance with NY State Law 58 for wheelchair access. Difficult to access the wireless internet service. Poorly hit hallways offer lousy security for a woman traveling alone, with dingy carpeting (as far as I could tell in the dark).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Check in was easy. when we got off on the upper floor that our room was on it was a pretty dimly lit hallway which was a little odd but maybe it helped keep the light down in the rooms (coming under door)? The room was spacious. The bathrooms spacious. Beds very comfy. AC worked well and was not too noisy. I kinda remember hearing a train whistle early in the morning (not sure though). Also disappointed that they did not offer free breakfast as most choice hotels do. But room was clean and spacious so I am happy with that.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2013

To start, it is a nice hotel for the location. It is right downtown, so you can walk to eat and hang out in the town. The rooms were well kept, and there is a place to eat in the hotel for convenience, however no free breakfast, which other hotels in the area offer.

We stayed because the kids wanted a pool. Luckily we were there on a weekday, so we had the pool to ourselves, but it is very small. The sign says 20 people max, but you couldn't have more than 6 without bumping into each other. Nice little hot tub, a few treadmills, a bike and a pulley weight machine in the fitness center.

The hotel was what looked to be almost completely empty, yet they put us in a room next to a couple guys who ended up loudly staggering in stinking drunk at midnight, then woke up at 7 AM to loudly regurgitate the alcohol from the previous night. Seriously, with the paper thin walls, they couldn't stagger the rooms? This alone makes me question the management and give the low rating. Maybe it is because of the nearby college or just bad luck, but beware.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed here with our 2 children for 1 night in June 2012 on our way to Boston. We chose it as it was close enough for us to go to the Baseball Hall of Fame and then we could be on our way to Boston. The service was good. The person at the front desk was very helpful. We had heard from friends that we needed to get cold cheese pizza as it is a specialty in this city. The front desk staff gave us a good recommendation for a pizza place and the hotel is centrally located so we were able to walk to the pizza place. Good value for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

I thank you not only for your business but for your kind words as well, and we hope to see you again soon.

...my staff thanks you too.

Michael C. Muench GM

Reviewed 8 February 2013

We had a house fire and were displaced from our home. We chose the Clarion Hotel in Oneonta because of its close proximity to restaurants and shops. We expected it to be convenient.

What we did not expect was the friendly, courteous and caring reception we received from check in and throughout our stay. As the days went by and the staff became aware of our circumstances, all were extremely caring and kind, asking how things were going, how the house was progressing and how we were doing. As for the hotel itself, the room was a nice size, well maintained daily and clean. The pool and spa area were spotless and very enjoyable. We had several meals in the Restaurant, all were wonderful. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in the Oneonta area, and remember...this is coming from a local! Thank you again to the entire staff at the Clarion Oneonta for making this trying time in our life more tolerable, you are the best!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Thank You for the kind words and we look forward to having you stay with us again down the road.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

I had to be in Oneonta for business and needed to stay overnight. While I have been to the city many times I have not needed lodging. I was pleased to find this hotel with great rates in the downtown area. Close to many restaurants and shops that are within walking distance. The hotel was clean, and welcoming. The suite had a gas fireplace, two person spa tub and views of the mountains. The hallways were a little on the dark side (dimly lit) and the restaurant was closed on the Sunday I stayed there. I would definitely stay here again if I need to be back in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CatskillMountains

Nothing beats a fireplace, hot tub and a Jacuzzi in the middle of January. Thank you for the compliments and for choosing our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneonta
Hampton Inn Oneonta
Courtyard Oneonta Cooperstown Area
Comfort Inn & Suites Milford/Cooperstown
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
Best Western Plus Cooperstown Inn & Suites

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!