“Not the best showing by Clarion”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Oneonta
Albany, NY
“Not the best showing by Clarion”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I will lead by stating I generally don't stay at this brand hotel. I am a Marriott brand girl through and through. However, this Clarion was in the perfect location for our needs for a one night stay.

There were a group of about 15 of us and I booked a block of rooms, and the upside was we were all put in rooms on the same floor making coordinating all of our plans very easy. Another plus was the lobby was very nice and the front desk staff were super friendly. Also, I found the parking lot to be quite large and had no issue parking.

My "cons" start when we get to the 2nd floor where all of our rooms were. The hallway was so dark and dim that it didn't feel all that safe even in the daytime. In my room and at least two of the others that were part of our group there was wallpaper peeling in spots, rugs that were frayed at the edges, the mirrored door of the closet coming off of its track and other minor details that made me think this hotel hadn't had some TLC in a number of years. I also found two dead waterbugs in my tub which completely grossed me out. Had I seen them when we checked in the night before and not when I went to shower in the morning I probably would have asked for a different room. Also, in my room the remote for the tv wasn't working-no big deal it probably needs batteries but it is just those little details that really need to be thought about.

The size of my room was fine, with 2 double beds we still had plenty of room. The beds were comfortable enough and while the pillows had no substance to them at all having 4 on each bed allowed you to put two or three together to get one real pillow.

I would stay here again if I had to for the location, but if I didn't really need to be in the center of town within walking distance to a number of places I think I would look elsewhere. This Clarion was more cheap budget motel and not at all what I was expecting for this brand. It makes me hesitant to try Clarion elsewhere...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sdsansky
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
We would like to thank you for choosing a group of rooms, at our downtown property. We appreciate the positive remarks regarding location, parking and our lobby. We wish we had the opportunity to make this right for you while you were here.

Thank you raising our awareness regarding some issues that you had in your particular room. We welcome the opportunity to host you folks again in the future. We have never seen any "waterbugs" on or around our property, however we have noted the concern.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Guilderland, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

With limited options in the Oneonta area, my boyfriend and I chose to stay at the hotel closest to the festival we planned on attending. We booked a King Bed Suite with a spa tub for our room (the only option left that had a king sized bed) and were disappointed to see that the room was one of the smallest we had ever stayed in. The spa tub, while big enough for two was un-romantically shoved in the bathroom with "sunbeam" fixtures and peeling wallpaper. The room itself was not much better - old matted and grimy looking carpet, peeling wall paper, stained/un-cared for furniture... the list goes on. The worst of the room was what appeared to be blood stains on the comforter... a quick call to the front desk and all of the bed linens were promptly changed.

On a POSITIVE note: all of the hotel staff was extremely friendly and polite offering willing answers to any and all of our questions; they really tried to give the best impression for their hotel.

OVERALL: The hotel is run down and needs a little TLC and a good elbow scrubbing. If we go back to the area, we may stay at the hotel for convenience reasons, but will strongly consider the other options before booking this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for the positive comments regarding our prompt service during your stay. Our Hotel features some rooms with Hot Tubs in the room along with cozy fireplaces. Feel free to call our staff directly so they can walk you through the room, and also provide best rate. We did take care of the nail polish stain and and small wall paper issue. We look forward to hosting any future visits in the Oneonta area.

Travellers are raving about these Oneonta hotels

Hauppauge, New York
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Best spot in town with great shops and restaurants near by. The hotel itself is very average.Clean and quiet but nothing exciting. Hot tub paint is bubbling snd peeling and the temp is a little cool. Bedding is comfortable and rooms are in good shape. Skip the hotel restaurant and head to the Red Caboose next door! Enjoy a little leather stocking village in comfort.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Thank you for your kind words and we do hope top see you again...Have a great holiday

...and thanks for staying with us!
Redlands, California
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Myself, brother and nephew all came back to Oneonta N.Y. from California for mothers funeral. The staff was very helpful on short notice giving us the best rates possible and even upgrading our rooms. They were all very attentive to our needs and struggles. Each went out of their way to see we were comfortable and had any need met. They offered kind words and assistance at every turn. They made us feel like Clarion was also part of the family. Thank you to your wonderful staff- Jackie. Nicki. Chris. Brianna. David. Al. Monica and Rosa. I had personal conversations with each and enjoyed my time with them. We will always look to Clarion first when traveling ,due mainly to your staff and the personal attention we received. thanks John P. Redlands Ca.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John P
That is truly the type of remarks that make my job rewarding...thank you...... and I will certinly pass this along.

Althought we are all sorry for you loss,, were glad that you had a chance to stay with us and hope that you can do so again under better circumstances...Have a great holiday

Michael
Cadyville, New York
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

They let us check in a few hrs earlier than their published time. Got standard room but it had a huge jacuzzi tub which was a bonus! Room clean.. Refrigerator & coffee pot in room. Restaurant on premises but we ate elsewhere. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank retiredohardscrabble
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We pride ourselves on great service and I am so glad you were able to experience it. We look forward to your return to us !
Mastic Beach, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Very nice cleaned and apacious. The beds are first class will recomd this hotel if your kids are in college in Oneonta.
Will like to see breakfast included in the price.The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Plenty of parking and right by main street.

Room Tip: just get a room .great location.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for the positive comments. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We pride ourselves on great service and location. We look forward to hosting again.
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Considering the hotel options that you have in the area this is a decent one. The check in staff was pleasant and nothing jumped out at me as impressive during the process. Just standard check-in. The hotel itself is in a central location in downtown within walking distance to food. There is an Italian restaurant accross the street that that used to be a train station that is very good. The interior of the hotel and my King room both looked dated and in need of a renovation. Depending on what side of the hotel you stay on you will hear an early morning train that will wake you up. Because of the limited hotel options the prices are way more than the quality and service that you receive. Even with the hotel being full and I was told it was the cost of the rooms do not match the local economy. But I was only able to get a room because someone cancelled so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Overall the exterior makes the place look a lot more impressive than it really is inside. Also if you arrive late or want a nightcap before bed the hotel restaurant and bar close at 10pm. When you get down to it, Its a decent hotel but not great. There is just not a big variety of quality hotels in the area. There is a new Marriott Courtyard that opened up that is more modern. The Clarion provides the basic need for a place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for all your positive remarks, we do try with all our ability to provide the best product and experience possible...thanks for staying with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneonta
Hampton Inn Oneonta
Courtyard Oneonta Cooperstown Area
Comfort Inn & Suites at the Ballpark
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
Best Western Plus Cooperstown Inn & Suites

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!