“Overpriced” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Oneonta
LI
“Overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife and I travel often, 4-6 nights each month. She loves Holiday Inn, I use Choice they are convenient to my kids. We've stayed at HI, Oneonta and they are no bad, cheaper than Clarion, but the HI in Cooperstown is beautiful and better priced. This time I visited with my brother. We come to watch our son compete in sports.

The hallways at this Clarion are dark and the carpets are tired and have a little funky smell, maybe they dim the lights. I pulled open the sheets and my brother remarks, "is that hair?" . Yes, there were quite a few of them. When I reached for the phone to call the front desk he said again, hair, and is that a dead bug on the receiver? Yes to both. Well I packed and my brother went to the front desk to get another room. The first thing I did was reach for the sheets and after close examination I found another long, black hair. The pillows looked ok as well as the rest of the sheets, and my brothers bed was good. I was exhausted after driving 6 hours and saved the hair in the comments paper from the manager Michael. I signed the outside of the paper.

Upon checkout the new people at the desk asked why we were handing in a key for a different room. I told them the story and handed them the comments with the hair, and showed it too them, and requested they give it to the manager. They were apologetic.

Breakfast is not free but I wasn't in the mood even if they offered us a comp which they didn't.

This occurred last Saturday, 5/10. Its Wednesday evening. I thought I might get a hello were sorry but that didn't happen.

The new Hampton Inn is a good replacement and I was belatedly told have a $79. rate if you are a parent of a college student on a visit.

I have never taken the time to write a review like this. The Clarion is in town, near the "action" I guess but it isn't with the premium.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Hello we appreciate the positive feedback you have given us on our rooms and location. Our location is indeed centrally located and fantastic. We are the only location that is walking distance to parks, shops and great family owned restaurants and pubs, besides our own.

We regret that there was a concern in an area of your room. Certainly we wish we had the opportunity to correct it in real time. As a General Manager I spend countless hours training / improving and checking and double- checking all areas of the hotel. There are also occasional times when I am not available. Our front desk does have the ability to modify a bill, when we have failed to correct a situation brought to our attention ... in a timely or reasonable manner.

I'm sorry but I don't understand the room key statement at check out. Our keys are not numbered per say, rather they are programmed individually. Thank you for the comments again as we use them to constantly improve our high level of cleanliness and service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Patchogue, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I enjoyed my quick stay and want to thank Al for working to make my room available early so I can complete my slideshow timely without interruption. The only issue I had was that I was supposed to receive a non-smoking suite and my suite was on the smoking floor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Susan,

Thanks for the kind remarks...was the smoking room perhaps the result of facilitating an early arrival for you?

Thanks for traveling...and thanks for staying at the Clarion Hotel / Oneonta.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We always stay here when visiting Oneonta, the rooms are clean and large. Staff are very accommodating. The location is great you wake up in the morning and can walk anywhere no need to drive and parking is free. Bonus

Room Tip: Choose a room that does not overlook main street.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you very much for the kind comments...we all appreciate them.

....and thanks for staying with us!

Michael Muench GM
Medford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed at the Clarion on April 18th. I booked because of the location (very convenient to get to Hartwick from the hotel) and price. The hotel staff were excellent at check-in and check-out, but the real standouts were David (night desk staff) and Jim (Security) when I came back to the hotel after an event. They were friendly and very helpful.

Two things that you should be aware of if booking (neither is a criticism of the hotel). When booking a "King suite", one generally thinks of a suite as having separate rooms, whereas this was really just a larger room with a sitting area. If booking a suite because (as in my case), one party snores, this is not necessarily the best option. Also, staying in a room facing Main Street on a Friday night meant that I wasn't able to get to sleep until well after 2 AM. Even on the 4th floor, the noise from downtown was incredibly loud. I'm certain that a room facing the other side of the hotel, though, would not have had this problem, nor would it have been an issue on a non-weekend night.

All-in-all, a very good stay, and a hotel I would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from Main Street are quieter (see full review)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thanks for all your kind comments...we all do appreciate it. Yes, a college town does has is challenges... and of course many positive aspects...

We look forward to seeing you again, and thanks for staying with us at the Clarion Hotel.

Michael C. Muench, GM
Albany, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I will lead by stating I generally don't stay at this brand hotel. I am a Marriott brand girl through and through. However, this Clarion was in the perfect location for our needs for a one night stay.

There were a group of about 15 of us and I booked a block of rooms, and the upside was we were all put in rooms on the same floor making coordinating all of our plans very easy. Another plus was the lobby was very nice and the front desk staff were super friendly. Also, I found the parking lot to be quite large and had no issue parking.

My "cons" start when we get to the 2nd floor where all of our rooms were. The hallway was so dark and dim that it didn't feel all that safe even in the daytime. In my room and at least two of the others that were part of our group there was wallpaper peeling in spots, rugs that were frayed at the edges, the mirrored door of the closet coming off of its track and other minor details that made me think this hotel hadn't had some TLC in a number of years. I also found two dead waterbugs in my tub which completely grossed me out. Had I seen them when we checked in the night before and not when I went to shower in the morning I probably would have asked for a different room. Also, in my room the remote for the tv wasn't working-no big deal it probably needs batteries but it is just those little details that really need to be thought about.

The size of my room was fine, with 2 double beds we still had plenty of room. The beds were comfortable enough and while the pillows had no substance to them at all having 4 on each bed allowed you to put two or three together to get one real pillow.

I would stay here again if I had to for the location, but if I didn't really need to be in the center of town within walking distance to a number of places I think I would look elsewhere. This Clarion was more cheap budget motel and not at all what I was expecting for this brand. It makes me hesitant to try Clarion elsewhere...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sdsansky
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
We would like to thank you for choosing a group of rooms, at our downtown property. We appreciate the positive remarks regarding location, parking and our lobby. We wish we had the opportunity to make this right for you while you were here.

Thank you raising our awareness regarding some issues that you had in your particular room. We welcome the opportunity to host you folks again in the future. We have never seen any "waterbugs" on or around our property, however we have noted the concern.
Guilderland, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

With limited options in the Oneonta area, my boyfriend and I chose to stay at the hotel closest to the festival we planned on attending. We booked a King Bed Suite with a spa tub for our room (the only option left that had a king sized bed) and were disappointed to see that the room was one of the smallest we had ever stayed in. The spa tub, while big enough for two was un-romantically shoved in the bathroom with "sunbeam" fixtures and peeling wallpaper. The room itself was not much better - old matted and grimy looking carpet, peeling wall paper, stained/un-cared for furniture... the list goes on. The worst of the room was what appeared to be blood stains on the comforter... a quick call to the front desk and all of the bed linens were promptly changed.

On a POSITIVE note: all of the hotel staff was extremely friendly and polite offering willing answers to any and all of our questions; they really tried to give the best impression for their hotel.

OVERALL: The hotel is run down and needs a little TLC and a good elbow scrubbing. If we go back to the area, we may stay at the hotel for convenience reasons, but will strongly consider the other options before booking this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for the positive comments regarding our prompt service during your stay. Our Hotel features some rooms with Hot Tubs in the room along with cozy fireplaces. Feel free to call our staff directly so they can walk you through the room, and also provide best rate. We did take care of the nail polish stain and and small wall paper issue. We look forward to hosting any future visits in the Oneonta area.
Hauppauge, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Best spot in town with great shops and restaurants near by. The hotel itself is very average.Clean and quiet but nothing exciting. Hot tub paint is bubbling snd peeling and the temp is a little cool. Bedding is comfortable and rooms are in good shape. Skip the hotel restaurant and head to the Red Caboose next door! Enjoy a little leather stocking village in comfort.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Thank you for your kind words and we do hope top see you again...Have a great holiday

...and thanks for staying with us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneonta
Hampton Inn Oneonta
BEST WESTERN Cooperstown Inn & Suites
Lake Front Hotel
Lake Front Hotel
#7 of 16 in Cooperstown

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!