“Exceptional service!”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Oneonta
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here for for one night during June 26th after attending Orientation at Oneonta college. I browsed around before choosing this hotel, but noticed Clarion had a decent price per night. The gentleman at the front desk was extremely helpful and accommodating that day. I honestly never felt more welcomed at a hotel! I ended up with a king size room. It was roomy, clean and quiet. Hotel housekeeping was great as well. Overall just a good experience. I would definitely stay here again if I visit Oneonta in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel exterior looks great. The rooms are outdated but clean/comfortable. The beds weren't that awesome but doable. Easy 25min ride to Cooperstown Dreams Park. Wish they had free breakfast. Hotel has an entrance onto the main downtown plaza. Very neat town.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed one night and found the hotel to be clean and fairly comfortable. The rom was very large with an adjoining sitting area complete with desk and couch. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were too soft. Asked for harder foam pillow, but seemed to have only feathers (or very tired foam). The jetted tub/shower combination would be extremely difficult for anyone with mobility problems. (photo included). Did not realize that a train passes in front of hotel twice during the night tooting its loud annoying horn. The room darkening curtain failed to do an adequate job of blocking the morning sunlight in the room. The only saving grace of this hotel was the outstanding staff. Room was clean, front desk staff were personable, helpful, knowledgable, and professional. Also, the breakfast buffet was very good with excellent service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We found our room very clean and comfortable. After a long drive and an afternoon visiting local museums and sites, all we wanted was a good place to eat and sleep. The staff at the restaurant was attentive, fast and pleasant. The food was brought quickly and was good as well. The only problem I found was the tub. It was jetted, but the wall was so high it was a problem to step into. As I have mobility problems, it was difficult to get into and out of the tub, and I feared falling. Overall, this was a good place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This was one of the worst hotel experiences we have ever had. It finally will put me off all Choice Hotels except Comfort Suites. The hall ways and rooms are very dark, even with every light in the room on, it is very hard to even read. When you first open the door to your room you can smell the musk and mildew. The pillow cases and sheets all had small stains and we were left to wonder if they even had been changed since the last people stayed there. The worst of the worst was the bathroom. There was a solid line of black mold running up two seams out of the bathtub, and the ceiling was peeling and someone did a real half assed job of just slapping some spackle on it. My wife wanted to check out right away, but I had been driving all day and there was no way I would have made the 5 1/2 hour trip back to long Island. The only saving grace for this dump were the front desk staff. They went out of their way to help me find a local restaurant and some directions how to get out of there in the morning. We got up at the crack of dawn and got out of there as fast as we could. With all the room taxes added in this room cost almost $200. I would sleep in the car before I stayed at this place again. I wish it were a Hampton Inn. At least they give your money back if you are not satisfied. My wife and I feel we were robbed of $200.00.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gart W
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank You for the positive feedback regarding our front desk agents. We inspected the room upon reading your review. We did find many of the same issues that you alleged to have seen. however we always pass the information to our management teams and our staff. We take these criticisms seriously when applicable.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have enjoyed both of my recent stays at this hotel. Al was very helpful and accommodating. The rooms were clean and the customer service was outstanding. The location is perfectly situated in the middle of town so that you can walk to local restaurants and shops. I will be staying there again the next time I visit my family. :)

Room Tip: Go for the jacuzzi room! Very relaxing and clean. The fireplace was also a nice touch especially in...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Thanks for the great review...and I'll pass the shout-out along to Al...he'll appreciate it.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed two nights, the same two nights around SUNY Oneonta graduation (I was not there for graduation). The hotel was packed but the customer service remained outstanding--very helpful and accommodating. The location (right in the heart of downtown) was fantastic, complete with free parking. The room was comfortable and very clean. The reason for the average marks are the leaky roof on the top floor and a very basic gym. I would stay here again, however.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for the kind remarks.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneonta
Hampton Inn Oneonta
#5 of 9 in Oneonta
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
Comfort Inn & Suites Milford/Cooperstown
Best Western Plus Cooperstown Inn & Suites

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!