“Mediocre at best” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Oneonta
new york
“Mediocre at best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We booked the Clarion this year when moving my daughter into school. I loved the location. I have stayed in a lot of the other places in town: Hampton Inn (in my opinion, the best), Holiday Inn (not the best), Red Carpet Inn on the Lake (the Worst!!)
We checked in and everything seemed fine; our room was on the second floor, convenient when going out to dinner on Main Street. The shower was great! The fan in the bathroom mysteriously stopped working two hours in. The air conditioner was extremely loud in the room.
But the beds were the worst! The pillows were horrible and I can honestly say we did not sleep more than a total of an hour the entire night.
While the Holiday Inn is dated as well, this hotel was just plain uncomfortable. We were up and out by 6:30, which actually got us home a half an hour earlier than usual! But all in all I wasn't overly impressed!

Location
1 Thank mchgh
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank for choosing to stay at our property recently. We pride ourselves on our location. Sometimes things need to be repaired and addressed. We appreciate the feed back and will pass it along to our engineering department.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bellmore, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We recently stayed here while moving my daughter into SUNY. The nice thing about the hotel is that it is walking distance to Main Street. The parking here is insufficient if the Hotel is booked. Also, this is the first time that I have ever checked into a room where there was garbage in the waste baskets. The room was dated and dark.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Dix Hills, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel looks nice from the outside. However, as soon as I got off the elevator on the second floor, I saw the dirtiest carpet ever. When I entered my room, I felt like I was back in my college dorm, and I graduated a very long time ago. We paid $190ish for the night, which is a lot for this type of hotel. Lastly, upon leaving, we saw "complimentary coffee" in the lobby. We went to pour some but the containers were empty. The two people at the front desk just watched and said nothing. We laughed, left, and got our coffee elsewhere. If you need to stay in the area, check tripadvisor for other recommendations. The only positive about this hotel is that it is close to Main Street.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank John D
Thank you for the compliments regarding the exterior of the building and our location. We will pass all feedback along and follow up appropriately. Our hotel is one of the newest around and was built in 2001..
Vernon, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel in 2009 and we were excited to stay there again. Unfortunately since 2009 it appeared that not much had changed, been maintained or updated in the hotel. The entire hotel was extremely dark/poor lighting from the hallways to the room itself. The one elevator in the hotel is extremely slow and there are only 4 floors in the hotel. We stood there baby in tow just waiting and waiting and stairs weren't an option since we had the stroller. Use the stairs if you can! We had to keep getting new keys because ours didn't work every time we left the room. We got our 4th set of new keys when finally a staff member realized all of the doors/locks in the hotel were set to the wrong day and everyone was getting locked out of their room. The staff at the hotel was very nice and extremely helpful. That's really the only reason I gave this a rating of 3. We turned down the bed and just below the pillows there were yellow stains on the fitted sheet on the bed (see attached picture). We called and asked housekeeping to come change the sheets. There was no way we were sleeping on those stained sheets. It looked like the room had not been vacuumed in quite a while - there were crumbs all over the floor which grossed me out since we have a baby and he certainly wanted to be on the floor. Our room was a "king suite" but I have no idea what made it a suite. It had a bed, a desk and a couch which most standard (non-suite) hotel rooms have. We had requested a crib which they did provide but they did not provide bedding. Luckily I had brought a crib sheet from home just in case. If you request a crib be sure to bring bedding. Our room did have a larger/deeper tub that had jacuzzi jets but it was all black around the jets and there was no way we were turning that on and getting in it. If we paid extra for a "suite" because of the "jacuzzi", I'm sad to say we were ripped off. The room was extremely expensive for what it was. We had to move the small couch to accommodate the crib and there were mints and other candy under that, so assuming that is not moved and vacuumed under very often. The wallpaper in the hallways is dated and peeling away from the walls too. On the up side, it was very quiet at night for sleeping. The windows in the room open which is rare to find in a hotel these days unless it's a slider on a balcony. The only issue was it kept coming off the track to open it. This could definitely be dangerous for kids so parents, keep an eye out for this. I was surprised how it just popped off the track.We walked to the park with our son and he played on what looked like a brand new playground for toddlers. We also ate at Ruffino's and highly recommend it, it's right next door to the hotel on Main Street.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travelingbunny16
Marshfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Very helpful at check-in. Even matched restaurant with our taste. Early riser received freshly brewed coffee. It doesn't get much better! Room clean and pleasant. Only criticism is very dark hallways. It would be difficult for someone with reduced eyesight.

Room Tip: Nice shopping out behind hotel. Hallways too dark.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

After a long day on the road, we finally found a place to stop in the Catskills without reservations. We tried the Clarion and got the last room! We did not know this area has few motels. We loved the fact that they have an onsite grill and bar so we didn't have to get in the car again. We ordered burgers and they were excellent,The room was clean and very spacious. My only suggestion is to get better lighting in the bathroom. The management and grill staff were great!

Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I have stayed at the Clarion Hotel everytime I have come to Oneonta. I have never had a bad experience here. The Staff has been great. They are friendly and helpful. The rooms are comfortable and cozy. My favorite part of the hotel is it's location. It is downtown and in the middle of many resturaunts and stores. The hotel has it's own resturaunt and bar which is comfortable and quiet. The food is good and the employees friendly. I recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneonta
Hampton Inn Oneonta
BEST WESTERN Cooperstown Inn & Suites
Lake Front Hotel
Lake Front Hotel
#7 of 16 in Cooperstown

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!