“Supper Club reminising”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I had the opportunity to eat at Jay's Place for the first time last week. It reminded me the 1950's and 1960's Supper Clubs, minus the relish trays. We walked in and immediately lowered the mean age by a couple of decades. Most folks there seemed to be long time customers.

We enjoyed the waitstaff, who seemed at home with the Supper Club decor and personality of the place. I have to say, in all honesty, that the food was inconsistent. For example, the crawfish tails appetizer was good... favorfully done, and they did a good job with what must have been frozen tails. The fried fish was very good, and the steak fries were wonderful. The steak was cooked as we asked, but the quality of the meat was only mediocre. Salads- meh. Iceberg with a few other veggies that seemed to be from a bag. The dressings did not seem to be homemade.

Will we go back? Absolutely, as the meno was extensive and we had enough good to want to try more. Will we go back regularly? Probably not, as the prices were disproportionately high for the quality (but not the quantity) of food.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We Love Jay's Place!
If you are looking for delicious made-from-scratch meals, look no further than Jay's Place.
This is a real "Oneonta insider" place, frequented mostly by locals for their delicious steak and seafood dishes. The food is consistently fabulous and Jay uses only high quality ingredients. The staff at Jay's are top-notch. Penny (hostess) always greet guests with a warm welcome & smiles, making you feel right at home and the servers & bartenders are best of the best. Jay (chef and owner) often pops out of the kitchen to say hello to his guests. Recommend calling to make reservations because the restaurant is so busy! Just go to Jay's...you won't be sorry!

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Your average steak place... They did a nice job with my dinner. My dinner companion wasn't happy with his dinner though. I found the atmosphere to be needing an update and the service was much slower than I would prefer.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

meal was both awful and expensive. I ordered one of the expensive steaks, and it was overcooked and the sauce lacked flavor.
The potatoes were good, the salad was boring, and the bread was ok.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

I've eaten here twice, and both times I went I was blown away by the quaility. The bar is well appointed, and the bartenders are very friendly. I love prime rib, and theirs is very good, and easily the best around. The seafood is also very good, and I've learned that you can often order combinations not on the menu (I ordered scallops with my prime rib at the suggestion of the bartender, and it was served as a smaller portion and price - how many places would let you mix and match stuff like that?) The wine selection is good for around here and you'll find something you like (they have New Zealand Sav. Blanc - a fav of mine!). It's only a semi-formal atmosphere and you can come as you are and eat as a family. For steak and seafood, it's very reasonably priced. Reservations are almost a must most nights.

2  Thank Todd E