“Authentic and warm”

Ricky's Beach House - Authentic Sumatra
Reviewed 5 July 2014

a fantastic place where we stayed for 1 week with the family (girls of 14 and 11), after 1 week in the jungle with the Mentawai organized by the Ricky Beach House.
this is not a classic touristic place, this is a real fishermen village with families having their own duties, growing rice crops, fishing... and you are welcomed in this village with such a warmness !
we learned to take our time, sing with our hosts every day, play football with the boys of the village, enjoying walkaround, postcard beaches, dream islands, cooking with the RBH band and many other things.
The people there are so nice and so authentic that we don't even remember the housing which is quite basic and that we only used for sleeping.

Well, as many other people said, a place to preserve and to visit with an open heart.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I regret we could only spend two nights at this amazing place. It's beautifully located, authentic, isolated and low key but what matters most are the people there. I feel like I have to go back one day which doesn't happen to me that often. I really really hope it won't develop into some bigger and classier touristic affair one day, loosing its simple charm. If you're all about comfort and luxuries, don't go. Otherwise, don't think twice!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

For those who travel in search of real places, with real people, look no further. Ricky, Anne and the crew have created a very special place that allows the traveler to drop into a world outside of the typical backpacker experience. With an honest, open desire to help the village and encourage meaningful exchange between visitors and locals, Authentic Sumatra is doing something very rare in the world of tourism. My wife and I have been traveling throughout Asia for more than a year and our time at RBH was the highlight of our travels. Amazing hosts, incredible village, ocean, beach and jungle, great food, pretty much perfect.

If you are just looking for upscale beach relaxation, look elsewhere...

If you are looking for the chance to learn, laugh, experience and grow...visit Ricky, Anne and the fantastic crew. We will be back!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The thing that I like the most about the Ricky's Beach House is probably the fact that it is easy to get in touch with the locals. I like to travel to beautiful places but for me it is more important to SHARE with the people. Landscapes don't teach you the culture. The local people do.
I already came few times to RBH and I love the atmosphere there. The crew is always listening the guests' requests, sharing ACTIVITIES with them, and what is even more appreciable is that they don't change their habits for us. They still enjoy play music together, they go surf (possibility to learn with them), they play games (with guests as well),.. They don't make up their daily life for the tourists. I am curious to learn about their culture and they are curious to learn about mine as well. There is a wonderful human exchange that I never experienced that deep so far.

-The BUNGALOWS are cute and comfortable, set up on the beach (wonderful sunset). Clean and decent.
-The FOOD is fresh and very tasty, and LOCAL ! It is a fishing village, so fresh fish for dinner. I love the fact that you can eat until you are full without charge supplements (same for coffees and tea!). This is a real bonus compared to all other guesthouses. It is a detail but it makes the difference compared to other guesthouses. No pressure about the money, you just enjoy your time. Fluid and natural energy.
-Good SERVICE and really friendly crew
- I really enjoyed the different activities you can choose to do alone, or with a local : snorkeling, surfing, fishing, cooking, playing music, trekking in the rice fields and jungle, relaxing on a magnificent island, playing football (ok it's a lie I am a girl i hate football but i saw many other guests who loved it though), ..

The place itself is incredibly beautiful, it is lost somewhere in the jungle of Sumatra, surrounded by coconut trees, indian ocean, mountains, rice fields…and buffalos.
I admit the price is not the lowest i could have found in Sumatra but it's the best value for money. 200 (or 150 according to the room you chose) includes a night, 3 tasty meals, coffees/teas and let's not forget it, a concrete help to the villagers. A beautiful ECOTOURISM concept.
Thanks again for everything

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Great hospitallity, easy contact with local village people and other travellers, good food, just in front of the sea, lots of opportunities, like;- snorkling to see coral and turtles,-jungle hiking to waterfall,- -paddi field trip,- woodcarving,-traditional cooking lessons,-football - learning wave surfing. Value for you money. Just been there begin july '2014 and we loved it . Henk&Femmie

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I spent a week there and really loved it! I had booked a trip to the Mentawai islands with Ricky, and he suggested that I spent a couple days in his village after since I had a few spare days. I went to Nagari Sungai Pinang, and actually stayed there a week. The location is amazing, with 3 small bungalows and a bigger one right on the beach.

The food was nice, loved the curries and bbq fish! They offer a few activities such as surfing, island trips, or jungle trek to a waterfall. There were a dozen tourists when I was there, but it was still pretty quiet and authentic. The local people were also very friendly, and you can tell that this village hasn't been spoiled by mass tourism.

The staff is extremely friendly, easy going, and always helpful and I loooved singing and chatting every night with them all. Ricky is particularly nice, speaks good English and French.

In a word, I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tiffanie P
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I really liked my week at Ricky's Beach House because of so many things. The location is amazing, in a little village near the jungle. The rooms were right on the beach, comfortable and nice. The food and hospitality were excellent; very friendly and helpful staff. There are only a few guests, so it's quiet and friendly. And the local people were very nice to us, there was no hassle, only a warm welcome. It's the best hostel i've stayed in in Asia

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
#2 of 22 in Padang
Paradiso Village
Paradiso Village
#3 of 39 in Padang

Been to Ricky's Beach House - Authentic Sumatra? Share your experiences!