“noise issue but staff very friendly and helpful”

Holiday Inn Orangeburg - Rockland / Bergen
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Orangeburg
Chico, California
“noise issue but staff very friendly and helpful”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed at in two different rooms over the course of the week I was there (we traveled out of state for one night, hence two reservations at the Holiday Inn. The first room overlooked the pool (which was under cover the entire time I was there). The banquet rooms were on the other side of the pool. On weekend nights guest noise from events in the banquet rooms woke us throughout the night, as did the guests coming back to their rooms and letting their doors slam or talking and laughing in the hall outside our door. This was at 1 and 2 am and later. I don't know that I can fault the hotel for guests' thoughtlessness. In the second half of the stay, we were in the rear of the hotel and in fact this was much quieter. There were a few door slams but not nearly as many times throughout the nights. The decor in the first room was tired and the lighting was a bit dreary. I do needlework and the shadows in the first room made it difficult to do. The second room, however, had much more powerful lighting and fewer shadows.The king mattress in the second room was worn in the middle, so throughout the night my husband and I felt as if we were rolling downhill..The staff was uniformly very friendly and helpful. The day that we checked out, I received a call from housekeeping that I had left items in one of the drawers. My daughter who lives nearby picked them up and mailed them to me, but I'm sure the hotel could have done that if I'd asked them...The breakfast buffet is more than adequate with a good selection of cooked foods. The staff kept the area well-stocked and cleaned. Despite my comments about the noise, I would definitely stay here again--I would ask for a room that did not look over the pool or was near the banquet rooms.

Room Tip: For a quieter night, ask for a room that is not overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nannygoat778

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Our family stayed here for a wedding. Our niece used the hotel for and her wedding party for early morning make up etc. The staff from the front desk to housekeeping to after noon bar to late night bar breakfast were outstanding. Every request was met with a yes or we can take care of that.... The hotel is clean. The breakfast in the morning was better than an Embassy Suites. This was our third time staying here and will now be our preferred hotel in Rockland County. The one downside...the room HVAC's work perfectly but the common areas were approaching uncomfortably warm.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter W
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed multiple times for many nights.

The positives - large rooms, staff, house keeping.

Negatives - noise, breakfast and management?

Stay was in one of the larger Eastern side rooms over looking the pool. Called a suite, it has a microwave and fridge.

Very professional front desk staff. Had a great welcome from Brian which was needed after an eventful day. Nothing was ever a problem for the staff and they were always very friendly.
The house keeping was perhaps the best I have ever experienced, they did a good job of cleaning and everyday I came back and my room was cleaned, couple of days I didn't really need it cleaned and they even contacted me just to make sure. 5 star service there.

The standard of microwaves and fridges varies between rooms.

Bed was good, window opens a few inches to allow some fresh air in. Coffee provided in business center area was good.

The negatives - train noise, I got use to it after awhile, there would be rooms lower on the Eastern side of the building, or ground floor looking in where it wouldn't be an issue, so be sure to ask.
Whoever constructed the rooms on the side I was on decided to select doors that were light and hollow, which means that they don't block out any sound at all. So you can hear all the noise in the hall ways. As well many of the rooms have connecting doors so your can hear conversations from next door. Often late at night I felt compelled to tippy toe and to try to keep quiet. The doors really should be replaced, especially the connecting doors. Luckily the house keeping is very quiet and not loud in the hallways and there are not that many rooms so foot traffic is minimal. So I was able to work around it.

Management: Guest laundry out of action for many, many weeks. Pool was supposed to open but it didn't, no information booklets in rooms (poor effort). Trades people leaving equipment and cords laying all over the hallway creating trip hazards and drilling holes early on a Sunday morning.

The worst part was breakfast. The staff there were friendly, however the food was always running out, no effort to replace items. Staff busy clearing tables - put a trolley rack there, let people clear their own trays and focus on replacing food. Nearly every item had run out at some stage. So instead of getting a choice you were effectively left with this is what I am having. Eventually I stopped going to breakfast because it was so unreliable.

Fortunately the good outweighs the negative. Hopefully next time I get to stay there, the guest laundry will be working, I can read the hotel information booklet in the room, and breakfast will have improved.
Staff are friendly and the suite rooms are large, house keeping amazing, which kept the review at 5 stars.
Will certainly look to stay there again when required.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ozdunkeroo
Bronxville, New York
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My fiancé and I booked a large wedding block here when we realized the close proximity to our venue The View on the Hudson in Piermont. Not only was it a simple 6 minute drive, but upon our arrival we feel I love with the facility and it's amazing staff, particularly Regina who handled all of our "bridal" needs. My family was visiting from all over the U.S. and Puerto Rico, and even the local guests spent the night to join in on the fun. They all raves about the amazing rooms and the bar/lounge even stayed open late to host an after party for us. The bartender worked hard and was wonderful as well. Overall, this hotel was an amazing choice on our part and I would definitely recommend it to anyone staying or hosting a wedding group! Thanks Holiday Inn at Orangeburg!!!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Evargas605
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We recently checked in to The Holiday Inn for a family weekend. We had enough points for Thursday Free and Then paid for Friday & Saturday. Very reasonable rate. Clean, Fresh and updated is how i would state the rooms and the whole hotel in fact. Newspapers and a very nice breakfast each morning, warm cookies in the afternoon! The updated bar is terrific, Chris is the bomb! Great selection of Craft beers! More than you would expect. Tracy is also an asset to this organization She took care of all our needs and then some as we had several meals catered. This hotel has a dynamite looking swimming pool. Will be back in the summer!

Room Tip: Junior Suites are fantastic, room to spread out Bonus, 2 TV's for the one for grownups and 1 fo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mom2morgan10
Monroe
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel was clean and comfortable and very convenient for a business trip. My only complaint is a very loud air handling system in the hall ceiling right outside my door. I got used to it, but it took some time and kept me up later than planned.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Carl C
LCrouch, General Manager at Holiday Inn Orangeburg - Rockland / Bergen, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Carl C,

Thank you for your favorable review and constructive comment.
The issue regarding the handling system is being addressed, and
currently are in the process of new install.
Your compliments regarding our hotel being clean and comfortable
are much appreciated!

We look forward to your return with us!
Longmont CO
Reviewed 11 February 2014

After seeing all the reviews warning about the train noise (I hear everything, you sneeze down the hall and sadly I'll hear it), made me think twice about staying here. It was just too convenient to the shop I'm working at so I figured I'd give it a try. I asked for a quiet room where I might not hear the trains and was put on the far side of the building. I hear nothing, and having a ac/heater where you can turn on constant air is a plus for white noise.

Room is in order, everything works well. Lots of HD channels, power strip with USB is a plus. Cookies every night (rare for a HI), a bar with a great selection of drafts beyond the normal. The barkeep last night actually took time to dump all the lines and wouldn't serve us until the air was under control on the drafts. Well done!

If you're really freaked out about the trains, just ask them to put you on the far side. I've already let them know it works and they'll have it figured out. If you aren't happy, ask for help. I'm so tired of reviews from folks who clearly don't step up. I do 175+ nights a year and if I'm not happy, I go straight to the management who ALWAYS clear it up.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank FredGarvin666
LCrouch, Manager at Holiday Inn Orangeburg - Rockland / Bergen, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear FredGarvin666,

We at the Holiday Inn, Orangeburg are very pleased to hear such positive comments about your stay at our hotel!
From the many HD channels, to the fresh baked cookies, and yes the wide selection of the latest craft beers.
We look forward to your staying with us again, during your next return to the area!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orangeburg
Residence Inn Orangeburg Rockland/Bergen
Hilton Pearl River
Hilton Pearl River
#1 of 1 in Pearl River
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson

Been to Holiday Inn Orangeburg - Rockland / Bergen? Share your experiences!