“Charming Inn, Delightful Hosts, Delicious Breakfast!”
Review of Orient Inn

Orient Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Orient B&B and Inns
Richmond, Virginia
“Charming Inn, Delightful Hosts, Delicious Breakfast!”
Reviewed 26 May 2011

This was our first stay at the Orient Inn, and we stayed here for one night prior to crossing the Long Island Sound by Ferry to Connecticut. Our hosts, Joan Turturro and Howard LeShaw, were welcoming, informative about restaurants and interesting sites.....quite the conversationalists, too....on a variety of subjects.....just what we look for at Inns and B&Bs.

Cookies, coffee, etc. are always available...this Inn has been restored and refurbished and gleams with pristine bed linens....fresh flowers in our room as well. It rained the entire time we were here, so we could not enjoy the large porch or grounds.

Room Tip: Every room I saw was wonderful!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We went for a 2 night midweek break last week. Before the summer season begins.

We were welcomed by Joan who is an impeccable and friendly hostess.

The first thing we care about when we get somewhere is cleanliness. I can honestly say the Orient Inn was as clean as any hotel I have ever stayed in. As the only guests, we could have chosen any room, but would have been happy with any - even the 'pet friendly' room which had no odor or signs of animals.

Breakfast was fabulous. Joan puts her training to fantastic use with a wonderful presentation of both cold and hot dishes. We were also lucky enough to have Joan cook dinner for us - our own private restaurant. If you call ahead and this is possible - DO IT! She can match any of the local hotspots and their prices.

The Inn is located a few miles from Greenport, with access to Shelter Island via Ferry or the vineyards. There is loads of great hiking nearby and even a walk or biking around the village of Orient is lovely.

I would thoroughly recommend the Orient Inn as a true home away from home.

Room Tip: They are all simply and nicely furnished.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nycfreed
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Orient Inn on a Friday night in mid-March, and cannot say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay. Joan and Howard were immediately welcoming, as was their adorable dog, Flower. The Inn is very homey, and beautifully decorated. When arriving, you feel like you're visiting family, rather than staying in an unfamiliar inn. Tea and cookies waiting for us, a very comfortable, clean room, and what I can say was easily one of the best breakfast meals I've had in ages!
Joan and Howard recommended a few nearby sites that were absolutely worth our time to see, and we cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 January 2011

My partner and I make an annual sojourn to Orient the first week of the year for a brief New Year's relaxation trip (this was our third visit). Joan and Howard (and Flower) are extremely gracious and informative, and they run a comfortable and relaxing B&B. The breakfast is truly out of this world and the atmosphere is very peaceful -- just what we need. We look forward to seeing them next year!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Astoria, New York
Reviewed 31 December 2010

We arrived on a chilly, winter evening and the Inn was warm and inviting. After we were settled in our room (which was cozy and very comfortable) Howard, the proprietor, offered us fresh-baked oatmeal cookies and tea. Breakfast was delicious and made to order each morning. I am so glad I tried Joan's famous French Toast (YUM!) and her omelets are awesome! Seasonal fruit was ours for the taking at any time (along with the oatmeal cookies) so you would never starve. Howard and Joan were very aware of the local scene and events and were helpful when we were planning our day's activities. We spent time enjoying the beautiful winter scenery and shopping the local antique stores. We also enjoyed spending time with "Flower" the cutest dog in Orient, NY!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Valley Stream, NY
Reviewed 20 December 2010

My daughter and I have a yearly tradition of staying at The Orient Inn after we finish our Christmas shopping at the Tanger Outlet in Riverhead. The Inn's proprietors, Joan and Howard, go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable. The Inn is beautifully decorated all year round, but at Christmas, it is especially breathtaking with a beautiful Christmas tree, garland, candles and a fireplace that always has a fire going. Cookies, warm freshly made bread, coffee and tea are available all day. Breakfast at the Orient Inn is always a delicious occasion. Joan is a fabulous chef and there are a wide variety of freshly baked breads and muffins, in addition to fruit, yogurt, cereal, coffee, tea and juice. While you are enjoying a muffin, Joan is busy preparing a hot breakfast meal of your choice. French toast with blueberries was the best I have ever eaten, and my daughter looks forward to Joan's scrambled eggs which are light and delicate. We look forward to our trip each year!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Queens,NY
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I have been a guest at the Orient Inn several times this year as I needed to attend to some heavy family business in the vicinity. When I walk in the door I feel like I am coming home. I was exhausted from my drive and the work that I had to do so I decided to let proprietress Joan Turturro cook dinner for me. I already knew her breakfasts were top notch so I was confident that the evening meal would be a treat. She is a French trained chef and it shows. The best part though is that she sources the highest quality local produce from the best farm stands in the area. It was so lovely to dine at the Inn and just roll upstairs to my elegant yet comfortable room to collapse into bed. The Inn is tastefully decorated in a style that compliments the bones of the beautiful early 1900's construction. There is nothing frilly or overdone, it feels just right. One could easily spend several days at Orient Inn without ever leaving the premises. Just bring a good book and lounge on the porch and let Joan cook for you.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orient
The Blue Inn At North Fork
Shelter Island House
Shelter Island House
#1 of 5 in Shelter Island
Arbor View House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Orient Inn? Share your experiences!