“Do you like stained, smelly bedding?”
Review of K&G Lodge

K&G Lodge
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Oswego
Gloversville, New York
“Do you like stained, smelly bedding?”
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Visited our daughter for family weekend at SUNY Oswego. Stayed in a cottage. This place was dumpy. Water leaked, heat was poor, bedding was stained and smelled like smoke, furniture was broken. Sheets are so thin you can see the flowers on the mattresses (also because there are no mattress pads). The beds are too long to fit in the rooms so you can't close the doors. Complained to management in the morning at checkout and all I received was a set of shrugged shoulders. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Stumpie83

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boston
Reviewed 8 July 2010

My husband and I stayed with my parents at K&G over July 4th weekend, for 4 nights. My parents had wanted to fish for salmon, and K&G has a great fishing charter they run as well, so it seemed really convenient.

The cabins were rustic, but we expected that. They're cabins after all! The first problem was that they were also very smoky and my mom has emphysema and I'm allergic to smoke and nothing on the website had indicated they had smoking rooms so we never even thought to ask. When I went to ask the owner if they might have a non-smoking cabin available, she told me that the only non-smoking rooms were in the lodge. Unfortunately, those rooms didn't have kitchens, and we were planning to cook our catch. To their credit, the housekeeper came by with a room freshening spray and we bought a candle and tried to make do. Another downside was that the "air conditioned cabin" really meant one old window unit in the living room...which meant if you were in the bedrooms it was HOOOOOT. Really hot.

We were in a 2 bedroom cabin, and each room had one single bed and two doubles, so you could have slept 6. The rates depend on how many people are staying...in our case, it would have cost the same to get two nicer, non-smoky rooms in the new lodge attached to the restaurant...but then we wouldn't have had a kitchen. Anyway, the beds were pretty much what you'd expect in a cabin but the pillows were worse. I think if you brought your own pillow, you'd be fine.

The kitchens are super small and don't come with a lot of plates or cups, but if you bring paper/plastic you'll be fine. We cooked some nice meals in there, and though we struggled, it seemed like a fair amount to work with for a rustic cabin.

We were glad to have a kitchen because it turned out the restaurant and bar were closed for our entire stay--for the holiday. They hadn't told us that when we booked the cabin, which was pretty disappointing. However, they did call my parents before arrival to warn them that the restaurant would be closing. I guess they just don't get enough business over the holiday weekend?

One day, my mother wasn't feeling well and we put the "do not disturb" sign on the door for part of the day. We figured out in the late afternoon that we needed paper towels and garbage bags and towels...they don't stock the cabin with a lot of extra of anything...I guess people make off with it. No big deal, so we called the front desk...got no answer at first...tried again and the owner was about to go pick up her daughter and said she'd bring it to us later. Unfortunately, she never did, and we wound up using tiny grocery store bags for trash and had no paper towels to de-grease our bacon with the next morning.

We had booked a fishing charter with them also, and the boat was really beautiful. We were all really excited, but my mother wound up feeling really sick and so I took her back to the lodge, not realizing I had left the cabin key on the boat with my dad. I figured it was no big deal, but when I got back to the office to ask them to let us in, there was another guest who had gotten locked out of his cabin and no one at the office. It was about 3:15 pm--within the "open" hours listed on the door...but the sign said closed. We called the emergency number and reached the owner who sounded pretty annoyed with us. I guess it's fair to be annoyed, but maybe it's better for business not to actually express it. I was pretty annoyed that I had my sick mother in the car and the office was closed during the day! Anyway, to her credit, the owner got someone to come find our key for us, and she was pretty quick in getting up there and nice about the inconvenience.

The location is fine...about 10 minutes from the marina and downtown area, and just down the road from a Price Chopper grocery store and a few fast food places. However, there is an Econo Lodge and a Best Western right on the water downtown, and that might be a better location if you don't need the kitchen. There really aren't ANY nice restaurants around--the restaurant at the lodge is it--so that made it doubly disappointing that it was closed.

The charter was pretty expensive, but given how hard it is to catch those big fish by yourself, it seemed worth it. Even though it was a "bad fishing day" according to our captain, my dad and husband caught a total of three big fish--a 21lb king salmon, a 23" steelhead, and a nice brown trout, all of which the captain's son filleted for us. The captain definitely seemed to know what he was doing, and the boat had a huge inside room for those who got hot or tired of waiting for fish. =)

The property is pretty (and there's a swimming pool area that looked pretty nice), and if the cabins had been non-smoking and the restaurant had been open, I would have been really happy staying there and would have probably given it another try despite the poor customer service. Everyone has a bad day, after all. I will say the customer service leading up to the experience was good...we received a lot of communication via email and they were responsive to questions we emailed them. Maybe they're just really understaffed.

Overall, I think it's good for groups of fishermen. And families with kids or pets that want to save money by cooking. It seemed a tad overpriced for the level of service and the facilities available, but I would have thought it was a pretty good deal if the restaurant were open and the customer service more friendly and responsive.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank TravelHappy16
Voluntown
Reviewed 21 May 2010

The cabins are perfect for our group of fishermen. We always eat at their restaurant which is the best in Oswego. I've fished with Greg on Top Gun for 15 years and he has always worked hard to make our trips successful. Whether I've fished with young kids or seasoned fishermen, he's always made the trips great fun. I can't imagine fishing Lake Ontario with anyone else. Between the cabins, the restaurant and the fishing charters K&G provides a complete exceptional quality experience.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank VoluntownRay
Keuka Lake NY
Reviewed 17 September 2009

I stayed at the K&G Lodge for 3 days during Harborfest, and was horrified when I returned after working 12 hours to find that my room had been emptied of all my food and belongings!! The owner said they thought I had checked out after the first night (I had paid for 3 days in advance). and so they took my refreshments and personal items (all new and unopened) out of the room. It was amazing that she defended their sticky fingered employees and were indignant that I had called them. They simply went into my room and stole my stuff!!! I am currently in the process of reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and they need to be exposed for the poor and unscrupulous business people that they are... BEWARE!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank QKA
Stormville, NY
Reviewed 4 October 2008

K&G is the nicest place to stay in Oswego. I go to the college so I am around the town a lot and have seen many of the hotels. If you want a better experience I advise you come to K&G. Instead of being below people in a hotel, you can get your own cabin (which is like your own little house) or you can room in the lodge which is extremely nice and new. Right on site there is a restaurant that is amazing! All of the food there is so good and the place is very clean and everyone is so nice. I would highly recommend going to K&G!!

• Liked — This place is so clean but set back away from the city, it's relaxing and fun.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
pa
Reviewed 24 August 2008

If you call or check in i hope you don't run into the owners, i have never been treated with such disrespect while paying for a service. Rustic? more like rusty and run down, don't waste your time staying here, theres hotels around there even if you pay more its well worth it. And the "fine dining" you sit right next to the bar, the wait staff was was very nice, but the employees in the kitchen look like they were off the street, not really what i want to see when i go to a "fine dining establishment"

• Stayed August 2008
4 Thank travler444
saint augustine
Reviewed 27 July 2008

I've been staying with Greg and Kris for almost 9 years now and they've gone more than out of their way for my clients and myself when I travel there. We fish with Greg about 4 times a year and always stay at the cabins. The cabins are a little rustic, although provide a great ambiance to the whole fishing trip. Being family owned and operated, which is hard to find these days with all the chain hotels around, I'm sure the fellow who posted below me caught the owner Kris on a bad day (which who doesn't have a bad day here and there). The staff on hand and the Restaurant crew bend over backwards to make sure we enjoy our visits.

I would highly recommend anyone looking at traveling to Oswego to stay at here! It's cheaper than the hotels in town and put you far enough from the city to enjoy yourself.

• Liked — we get our own cabin to do what we please and dont have to worry about being quiet because the room next to us is sleeping.
  • Disliked — no girls in bikini's in Oswego
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oswego
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oswego
Quality Inn & Suites Riverfront
Beacon Hotel Oswego
Beacon Hotel Oswego
#3 of 10 in Oswego

Been to K&G Lodge? Share your experiences!