“Clerk tried to scam us out of $130.”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ozone Park
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We were going to the Resorts World casino and this place is within walking distance. We've been here before and knew what we were getting into as far as the accomodations. We just needed a place to sleep before the hour drive home. We got out of the car and immediately smelled a strong marijuana odor. We go inside, and the clerk was rude and tried to talk us out of the large room with two beds. We took the queen room even though it was small because we just wanted to get it done, and the clerk took a very long time running our credit card. He finally tells us the card was declined...which we knew was impossible...and he demanded cash only. So we gave him cash and planned to call the bank later. We get to the room and we get an email from the bank that Econolodge has a $130 hold on the account for the night's stay!!! So we go to the clerk, who claims it was all a mistake...and after a lot of attempts on his part to "find the mistake" we get the cash back. We also get the larger room for our trouble....not because he offered but because we demanded it. Turns out, we get the room that seemed to be the source of the marijuna smell. No wash cloths or hand towels in the bathroom. It was a smoking room but there was no ashtray, and there was visible filth inside the heater/ac unit. The sink was stopped up and the toilet wouldn't flush. Stay away from this place. If I could give it no stars I would!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else but if you can't avoid staying here check your credit card statement!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 January 2014

stayed hear after flight cancelation . would probably have been better staying in air port . room pushed out hot and cold air. bathroom had no heating. at 5 am only lukewarm water that that run cold after a few seconds . No elevator and stars looked like they were about to collapse .Not sure were the photos of rooms came from .I went and checed address to see if i had the right places the photos of the rooms were not like any I saw. I did not see any like this . Shutel to air port was suspect. smelt of smoke. If you get stuck at the airport and are thinking of booking a room hear you may do better to sleep at the air port with is worm and has hot water.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Quite cheap hotel for being in NY but with many negative points. Rooms are very small. No breakfast room. Impolite staff. Located on the main road and very noisy, also, It's quite far from Manhattan. It takes a long time to reach the city centre by transportations and by car you can even spend the whole day stacked in the traffic. My advise........with few dollars more, It's better to choose a small hotel in Queens.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here the day before I had to fly out as some kind of "romantic" last night so I looked up hotels with in room jacuzzis near the airport and this place was it. The jacuzzi area was absolutely gorgeous and the front desk sold bubble bath too so that was a nice touch.

The room was ok. A generic near the airport hotel room. We definitely got ripped off by the driver the hotel called. JFK was maybe 5 miles away and we paid $20 to get there. Total crap. Should have argued but we were running late.

Here's why you shouldn't stay here... Nothing worth while is nearby and our room was right off the lobby so we heard people yelling all night long. I don't know how a hotel lobby could be involved in that many arguments but they were literally all night long and very loud. Plus I didn't like the thought of my room being right there. The man was super nice when we were checking in and there was no problems so I don't know why there was yelling all night.

Anyways, don't stay here. It sucks. Unless you are desperate for a jacuzzi room. But even then. Stay away.

Room Tip: Get the Jacuzzi room. It's shockingly impressive.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We stayed at Econo Lodge for 1 night during a transfer my husband and I and we came to choose this hotel because of the location and price. All private accomodations in New York is very expensive and getting this hotel for 100 USD for 1 night for 2 persons was a bargain. Price and proximity to JFK were our main criterias. The check in was smooth and staff friendly. There was a vending machine in the lobby and an ATM. A kiosk and restaurant just a stone throw away. Our room was very sufficient for us. The bed was not the most comfortable but then again we paid double up for a hotel in Brooklyn and got the most uncomfortable bed ever. The suitability of each bed is personal and what I might find horrible is the best bed for the next... The bed though only had a sheet + the day cover, but no actual sleeping cover. Many people like to sleep with a thin sheet only.. The room had a sufficient A/C device, a television, a writing desk and clothes closet. I took a long shower in the bathroom and didn't find the bathroom insufficient at all. The breakfast was very thin. There was coffee, tea and some cereals. For the price and the proximity I recommend this hotel for short term accomodation. The taxi from JFK to Ozone Park on the evening of arrival was 17 USD and the car service ride (which probably was the receptionist's or hotel owner's friend) the next morning back to JFK was 20 USD. We found it a bit weird that instead of a taxi we got a private person giving us a ride but didn't find it suspect as in case of disagreement the driver could have been traced back to the hotel. It wasn't like we were hitchhiking..So to sum it all up. If you are not willing to pay much more than 100 USD/night for a stay, you can very well stay at Econo Lodge coz it's not bad at all. We noticed no mold or bed bugs which seems to be common in NYC hotels.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any special rooms as the hotel cannot brag with beautiful views or speci...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Was booked here by hotels.com after a flight cancelation. The reviews are true and had I had the opportunity to read them there is no way I would have stayed there. There is definitely activity of some sort going on all night with doors opening and closing. Additionally, when I asked them to call for a taxi to take me to the airport an unlicensed driver showed up. Fortunately he did not rip me off but it didn't provide me with a sense of security. I would hope that based on all the reviews hotels.com would take them out of their network.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ncfoodieRaleigh_Nc
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I am a true NYC native so I am used to everything...From bomb scares to horns blowing at 2am. This hotel is the worse I ever seen. The beds are sooooo uncomfortable I could have slept on the subway and got better sleep. The bathroom dont get me started on that one..My wife had to fix the handle twice while she took her daily bowel movements. Gunshots are like a musical performance at night. The front desk was protected by pexi glass, can someone say have any robberies lately? Now the great free breakfast....best part was seeing it was enough to feed a crack induced woman who just got off her binge. Futhermore, they are painting and doing construction on the place. One more point before this horrid review is over, if you read this far congrats. THE FRONT DESK NEEDS ESL CLASS NOW!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ARealTraveler00

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!