“Got the last room, 2 AM, during NASCAR Watkins Glen. KP was super!”
Review of Corning Inn

Corning Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Painted Post
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I was driving home from my cottage in Canada and decided to stop by Corning, New York to visit the glass museum. Philadelphia was too far away to get there in one day.

I checked hotels from a rest stop, and everything was full! TripAdvisor gave me two hotels in Painted Post, and I called Corning Inn.

I woke up KP, the owner. His regular person was on vacation this weekend. He was sleepy, but he offered me the last room, a smoking room, if I wanted it. I could come see it. I got there 20 minutes later and called him again to wake him up. He showed me the room, and it was clean, simple two double bed room. One of the light bulbs was out, but the room had a refrigerator and a microwave. Beds were good enough.

Like another reviewer said, this hotel does the job!

(For the record, I skipped the NASCAR race and went to the museum, after 20 minutes of debate!)

KP was magnanimous. He talks quickly and sometimes is hard to understand but he is friendly, business saavy, and personable.

The hotel is a little worm down, no doubt, but it is clean, friendly, safe, and rates were $50 better than other major chains.

Breakfast was cereal, danishes, OJ and Apple Juice, and coffee. Just what I needed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank JYBsMap

Reviewed 7 August 2011

Has what you need. A chair in the room had some stains, but the rest of the room was clean and the mattresses were great. Decent breakfast, friendly staff. Why pay more? This area is expensive!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Kapiris
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Rooms are very clean
Free continental breakfast includes cereal and pastries
New beds are comfy

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank PennsylvaniaOtter
Reviewed 29 May 2011

Cheap in the area. A typical motel with old rag and furniture. But has everything you need, including free internet and breakfast. We got a non-smoker king-bed room at the last minute. The bed is clean and the room has no bad smell. To our surprise, there were a microwave and a refrigerator in the room. The shower was good. We are happy for what we paid for.

It was noisy in the morning. So make sure to get to bed before the midnight so you can catch enough sleep.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pixie_PA
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Liked the convenient location , great price (much less than nearby properties), working air conditioner, nice shower, and the very nice woman at the front desk. However, the common areas were extremely shabby, and the room was only slightly better. Although the room itself appeared to be clean (and we DID check the mattress for bed bugs...none there!),, one of the chairs was severely stained, and the blanket had stains, too. The worst thing about the room was the smell...maybe a disinfectant? In any case, my respiratory allergies kicked up right away. The breakfast area smelled so yucky, I couldn't stand to eat there (I think it was caused by the other people in the room). Guests were outside drinking and smoking late into the night, but fortunately, the room stayed quiet. There were people kind of lurking around in the hallways and outside each time we left the room -- wouldn't have felt safe staying there alone. Glad we had booked only one night. Paying more somewhere else would be worth it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelerneedsclean
Reviewed 2 September 2010

If you are looking for something affordable (very affordable) and clean when vacationing in Corning then this is your place. You'll have enough money left over to go to Watkins Glen, visit the Corning Museum and even have dinner (try Jerlando's Pizza & Restaurant in Watkins Glen) and still be able to lay your head down to sleep. Now that's what I call super duper value. This is family owned (very nice family with two beautiful kids) and you are always greeted with a smile. What more can you ask for?

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2010

My husband and I take a weekend trip each year to celebrate our anniversary. This year we decided to check out the Watkins Glen, NY area. Most of the hotels in downtown WG were pretty pricey, or, if they were reasonable, they were fully booked for the weekend of our trip. We then looked at hotes in Painted Post and ultimately decided on the Corning Inn because we got a King room for just $65/night! Our room was nothing fancy, though we didn't expect it to be. It was clean, which is very important, rather spacious and met our needs. Our room also had a mini-fridge which definitely worked, a microwave, iron & board, hair dryer, coffee maker and a nice-sized TV. We never ran out of hot water in the shower. The free breakfast was muffins, danish, two cereals, bananas, coffee, tea and two fruit juices. Again, nothing fancy but quite tasty and enough to take away the morning hunger. It took us about 25 minutes to get to Watkins Glen, 10 minutes to Corning and 20 to Horseheads. The Corning Inn was a nice place for the very reasonable per night rate. We definitely would recommend this hotel as an alternative to the higher priced Glen hotels. Painted Post itself was a nice, quiet town with a decent variety of restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
#6 of 7 in Painted Post
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 7 in Painted Post

Been to Corning Inn? Share your experiences!