“It was the best motel out of 6 others we stayed in during this trip”

Knights Inn Palatine Bridge
New York City, New York
“It was the best motel out of 6 others we stayed in during this trip”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

The first thing I liked here was the location - close to the highway and yet opening a scenic view beyond it. It was so great that I spent most of my time there sitting at one of the convenient tables in the open outside, doing my reading, writing, or just basking in the sun and enjoying the friendly environment. The fright trains running not far away in the front about every 20 min did not bother me at all - their sound was muted, and they even brought in an element of pleasant entertainment, albeit, admittedly, this may be a matter of taste.
Our room was clean and functional, the sheets, pillows, towels etc. - clean and fresh. Both - my son and I are very sensitive to smell, but we did not feel a slightest trace of any must or any other smell mentioned in some of the reviews that I read. The personnel was friendly and attentive to all our needs. Overall, we liked it here so much that we extended our stay here one day more than we had originally planned.
To be 100% objective, I have to mention that the sink worked very slowly, but this did not bother us much, so we told about it only after checking out, but I am sure that if we had mention it in the beginning, this would be immediately taken care of.
Our general impression is very positive, this was the best motel out of all 6 where we stayed in during our trip, and at one of the lowest prices.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Colorado
Reviewed 2 August 2010

This motel brought back memories of when our family of 7 took a cross country trip to Yellowstone and stayed at cheap old hotels. But, you must remember that this hotel is near the woods & lakes and probably lots of outdoor enthusiasts use it. The A/C gave off a mildewy smell, the carpets, bedding & towels were all very thin and worn, but the beds were firm enough and the rooms themselves appeared to have newer paint & wallpaper. The bathroom needed grout around the walls/floor and tub/shower again were quite old. No - this might not be the place to stay if just traveling through the area (just off of the highway) and expecting a quality place to stay, unless you don't mind old & cheap. But, we were attending the Baseball Hall of Fame Induction ceremonies & activities in Cooperstown - 30 miles away - and, this was the only place to stay in the area under $300! Actually only cost $75 - so we were willing to overlook a few things. Despite that and almost no breakfast items (McD just up the road) - foreign owner & family were very nice folks.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I was traveling with my family and needed to stop for the night and happened upon the roadway inn in Palatine Bridge NY. The room was gross. The bathroom filthy. There was soap scum all over the rusty faucets in the bathroom. They boast cable T.V. which is realy 12 fuzzy channels on an outdated T.V. The room had a nasty lingering smell. And then to top it off the man behind the counter, who identified himself as the owner, was rude, unprofessional, and in most ways downright creepy. I could see him peeking in room windows that clearly had guests in them. This at no time is ever acceptable. I did not feel safe here with my family and I urge anyone considering a stay at this motel to keep driving.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank VillagoPizzeria
Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We stopped here on our way to Niagara Falls, and boy were we disappointed. The room smelled musty and the bathroom was disgusting. The wallpaper was tyellowing and peeling off the walls. The bathroom, overall, smelled moldy and the sink was caked with dirt around the faucet. We woke up in the morning to discover old rusty stains on the sheets of one of the beds (this was covered by the blanket and spread and the lighting wasn't great so we didn't see it the night before). The door didn't close properly. The owner clearly does minimal exterior maintenance to pass whatever rudimentary inspections that are performed on the premises. He or she should be ashamed of him (her) self. I'll never visit a Rodeway again because of this experience.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank wanderlust42
Milford, CT
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I was traveling with my family and had reached the point where the kids HAD to stop for the night, so we followed the signs to the motel from the NY Thruway. Had I known how terrible this place was, I would have gladly endured another 30 minutes of tired, whining, and crying children. The man at the desk was surly, the room was filthy and smelled horrible, and the frequent freight trains made this a very unpleasant stay. You would like specific examples, you say? There was an unidentified tacky residue on the furniture. The base board heaters were rusty and badly in need of paint. The chairs all had stains and significant wear. The bedding had cigarette burn marks. The door looked like it had been broken in several times. The mirrors had de-silvered or acquired a yellow hue from age. The drapes barely operated. The AC barely operated. The price was not that good, either - I have spent less on accommodation and gotten much better.

I've traveled quite a bit for business, and have stayed in a variety of accommodations in a variety of countries. This actually ranks below sleeping on the floor in the airport; that is free, at least. My recommendation is that you keep driving to Herkimer or Amsterdam for a motel if traveling on the NY Thruway.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank iamoutofwords
Ocean, NJ
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Got the listing out of the coupon book at a Thruway Rest-stop. I must say, it was cheap. But I've stayed in places before that were even cheaper, and they were better than this. The freight train, previously mentioned, runs frequently most of the night. The sheets are so old you can see the smallish mattress pad through them, and they are a bit stained. The pillows are old foam rubber ( we actually went out and bought pillows to use). The beds almost look like two stacked box springs, and were not much more comfortable. And breakfast consisted of bad coffee, OJ, boxed cereal, and a couple of plain cake donuts ( I'm thinking, from the Freihoffer's outlet down the street, which would make them 2 days old) I'm not asking for much, maybe a piece of fruit, a cup of yogurt, toast or a bagel. Something to put in the conveniently placed microwave. We went out for breakfast. We're going back to the area before the summer ends ( researching family ancestry) but we won't be staying here. The ladies at 2 Sisters Diner ( great breakfast) say we should stay at the Palatine Inn, and I think it may be even cheaper.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NJLadybug
MICHIGAN
Reviewed 24 August 2007

Please, Please don't stay here. My wife and I arrived late in the evening after dark. First Mistake.
We were so tired from travelling 11 hours that we were grateful for a place to stay. We booked the place from the hotels website. Shame on Rodeway!
This being the second night of my Honeymoon, my wife slept in here clothes because the place smelled musty. Could feel the mattress springs through the mattress pad (Strike One). About every hour or so, a HUGE freight train passes by right in front of the "motel" (Strike Two).
The next morning while my wife attempted to blow dry her hair, a circuit breaker blew and couldn't complete the task. (Big strike three).
Now, I'm a guy, and I can sleep just about anywhere, but this place gave ME the creeps. Yes, the shower and bathroom was relatively clean, but very dated, as was the entire room.
We couldn't wait to get out of there. Although we'll always have that story to tell about our Honeymoon.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nedded work and updating badly.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Knights Inn Amsterdam
Knights Inn Amsterdam
#2 of 2 in Amsterdam
Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville

Been to Knights Inn Palatine Bridge? Share your experiences!