“NEVER STAY HERE!!!”

M Star Hotel Canajoharie
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I was traveling with my family and needed to stop for the night and happened upon the roadway inn in Palatine Bridge NY. The room was gross. The bathroom filthy. There was soap scum all over the rusty faucets in the bathroom. They boast cable T.V. which is realy 12 fuzzy channels on an outdated T.V. The room had a nasty lingering smell. And then to top it off the man behind the counter, who identified himself as the owner, was rude, unprofessional, and in most ways downright creepy. I could see him peeking in room windows that clearly had guests in them. This at no time is ever acceptable. I did not feel safe here with my family and I urge anyone considering a stay at this motel to keep driving.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank VillagoPizzeria

Reviewed 16 August 2009

We stopped here on our way to Niagara Falls, and boy were we disappointed. The room smelled musty and the bathroom was disgusting. The wallpaper was tyellowing and peeling off the walls. The bathroom, overall, smelled moldy and the sink was caked with dirt around the faucet. We woke up in the morning to discover old rusty stains on the sheets of one of the beds (this was covered by the blanket and spread and the lighting wasn't great so we didn't see it the night before). The door didn't close properly. The owner clearly does minimal exterior maintenance to pass whatever rudimentary inspections that are performed on the premises. He or she should be ashamed of him (her) self. I'll never visit a Rodeway again because of this experience.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank wanderlust42
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I was traveling with my family and had reached the point where the kids HAD to stop for the night, so we followed the signs to the motel from the NY Thruway. Had I known how terrible this place was, I would have gladly endured another 30 minutes of tired, whining, and crying children. The man at the desk was surly, the room was filthy and smelled horrible, and the frequent freight trains made this a very unpleasant stay. You would like specific examples, you say? There was an unidentified tacky residue on the furniture. The base board heaters were rusty and badly in need of paint. The chairs all had stains and significant wear. The bedding had cigarette burn marks. The door looked like it had been broken in several times. The mirrors had de-silvered or acquired a yellow hue from age. The drapes barely operated. The AC barely operated. The price was not that good, either - I have spent less on accommodation and gotten much better.

I've traveled quite a bit for business, and have stayed in a variety of accommodations in a variety of countries. This actually ranks below sleeping on the floor in the airport; that is free, at least. My recommendation is that you keep driving to Herkimer or Amsterdam for a motel if traveling on the NY Thruway.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank iamoutofwords
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Got the listing out of the coupon book at a Thruway Rest-stop. I must say, it was cheap. But I've stayed in places before that were even cheaper, and they were better than this. The freight train, previously mentioned, runs frequently most of the night. The sheets are so old you can see the smallish mattress pad through them, and they are a bit stained. The pillows are old foam rubber ( we actually went out and bought pillows to use). The beds almost look like two stacked box springs, and were not much more comfortable. And breakfast consisted of bad coffee, OJ, boxed cereal, and a couple of plain cake donuts ( I'm thinking, from the Freihoffer's outlet down the street, which would make them 2 days old) I'm not asking for much, maybe a piece of fruit, a cup of yogurt, toast or a bagel. Something to put in the conveniently placed microwave. We went out for breakfast. We're going back to the area before the summer ends ( researching family ancestry) but we won't be staying here. The ladies at 2 Sisters Diner ( great breakfast) say we should stay at the Palatine Inn, and I think it may be even cheaper.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NJLadybug
Reviewed 24 August 2007

Please, Please don't stay here. My wife and I arrived late in the evening after dark. First Mistake.
We were so tired from travelling 11 hours that we were grateful for a place to stay. We booked the place from the hotels website. Shame on Rodeway!
This being the second night of my Honeymoon, my wife slept in here clothes because the place smelled musty. Could feel the mattress springs through the mattress pad (Strike One). About every hour or so, a HUGE freight train passes by right in front of the "motel" (Strike Two).
The next morning while my wife attempted to blow dry her hair, a circuit breaker blew and couldn't complete the task. (Big strike three).
Now, I'm a guy, and I can sleep just about anywhere, but this place gave ME the creeps. Yes, the shower and bathroom was relatively clean, but very dated, as was the entire room.
We couldn't wait to get out of there. Although we'll always have that story to tell about our Honeymoon.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GORDIEHANDYMAN
Reviewed 21 August 2007

I booked 2 nites here- a thursday and friday, with some hesitation, because of some of the reviews. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a good, basic motel. Remember, this is a motel - don't expect the luxury of a hotel or the charm of a Bed and Breakfast. Certainly not for $62 a nite. And, yes, the sheets and towels are an off-putting beige - not white, but they certainly didn't smell.

The room was clean and surprisingly spacious. Ours had 2 double beds, a kitchenette[sink, fridge, 2 burners, microwave] and dining table, plenty of floor space for an air mattress for the kids [teenagers, not toddlers], and room for the dog, too. Housekeeping staff was friendly. There was plenty of hot water [for 4 showers at night] and we didn't hear anything from the rooms next door. The A/C worked fine keeping the room comfortably cool in the mid-August heat and humidity. With a 10am wake-up we missed the breakfast, so get up early if you're hungry.

Our room faced the front, and at first the trains seem pretty close, just down the hill and across the road, but it's actually rather picturesque, with the river just beyond the tracks. And the mournful freight train horns didn't really bother us. The Thruway is barely visible thru the trees in the distance. It was remarkably quiet - I suspect the tight fitting windows might be a new addition.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. It's hard to find a place that allows pets, so I'm happy this stay worked out.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2007

I was on vacation, covering Montreal and upstate New York. I didn't know whether I should stay in Albany, Syracuse or somewhere in between. I felt I could trust the Choice Hotels brands of which Rodeway is one. So I stayed here, as it is between Albany and Syracuse. I arrived at about midnight.

It's an old fashioned colonial type property with doors directly to the outside and cars in front.

The rooms were old and the furnishings were in poor shape. The same is true of the bathroom. The baseboard heating was hard to regulate.

The linens were absolutely disgusting. They had a musty smell. The musty smell remained on my person for about 2 days thereafter. I kept showering and showering. I had absolutely no desire to touch any of their breakfast items.

Truly, this frightened me in that a chain such as Rodeway would not find this hotel property to be completely out of line with appropriate standards for cleanliness and upkeep. Uggghh.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville
Knights Inn Amsterdam
Knights Inn Amsterdam
#2 of 2 in Amsterdam

Been to M Star Hotel Canajoharie? Share your experiences!