“A little run-down but clean and friendly, in beautiful surroundings” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Catskill Mountain Lodge

Catskill Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Palenville
GreenLeadersGold level
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“A little run-down but clean and friendly, in beautiful surroundings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

I think this place offers a range of rooms, and I should start by saying that we booked the cheapest rooms on offer. I think our room was $80 or $85, which for the area was one of the cheapest around. So the more expensive rooms might be nicer. That said, we liked our room okay and felt it was a good value for the price. The furnishings did seem to be kind of 70s, but aesthetically it was not horrible, and everything was spotlessly clean, and we were comfortable. The rooms in our building all had a little veranda and table and chairs out front which I think would be really nice to sit in in the summer. Nature-wise, the location and surroundings were really beautiful.

We did not try the restaurant, as it was closed the night we were there.

The owner checked me in himself and we chatted a bit and he told me that he and his wife had bought it only last year and had been working very hard on the place. He was previously working as a journalist and his wife was a nurse, and they bought the business so they would have more time together as a family. I like the fact that it's a family-
owned business, and enjoyed talking with the owner - he struck me as a pretty nice guy. I have a feel they are going to do good things with this place, and we would probably stay there again if we are in the area.

• Liked — The beautiful location in the woods
  • Disliked — The slightly shabby looks
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Groggie
Catskillmtlodge, Owner at Catskill Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 16 July 2008
This review was fair and we appreciate the writer's pointing out the room was a good value and was very clean and comfortable. Since May 2008, we have repainted that building, made it even cleaner and recovered those patio tables. They do make a very nice spot to sit with a friend.

As a family owned business, we take pride in our Lodge and take time to listen to our guests to find out what kind of experience they seek. For some, as was the case for this reviewer, it's simply an economical place to stay overnight. For others, longer stays and more elaborate amenities are called for. For those guests we provide rooms in our Deluxe Lodge or three bedroom Main House. In any scenario, we strive to provide attentive service and clean, comfortable rooms that are competetively priced.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2008

We just spent the 4th of July weekend at the Catskill Mountain Lodge and found everything to be first rate. Our room was spacious, clean and well beyond what we expected for the price. The restaurant and bar were excellent (with 14 beers on tap!) and the help was very accommodating (they served us dinner when we arrived hungry after a long drive, even though we showed up when they were officially "closed.")

The new management seems to be doing its best to upgrade and repair the facility (which we heard from some locals had been allowed to fall apart by the previous owner).

It was their first weekend of outdoor live music, but after some brief technical difficulties, the music that followed was excellent (a folk group and a jazz group). The acoustics are great and it's really a beautiful setting.

There are plenty of great local attractions, hiking, sightseeing, etc., far more than we were able to explore in a single visit. We plan to get up there again very soon (hopefully this summer)!

While we drove up from NYC, we were pleasantly surprised to learn that there's a bus that will bring you from Manhattan and drop you off directly in front of the lodge. With rising gas prices, we'll probably consider this option in the future.

Highly recommended!

• Liked — 14 beers on at the pub! Live music. Friendly and helpful staff.
  • Disliked — No good grocery store nearby.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

We had a peaceful stay at this clean, reasonably priced lodge. There is a lot to see and do in the area, and I really wish we had time to stay longer. The Lodge's restaurant has terrific food and a large array of draft beers, a big plus for a fan of craft brews such as myself.

• Liked — SIze of room
  • Disliked — needed more towels for pool
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kresequid
Saratoga, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

I was the Production Manager for the Colombia - Green County Hospital Fundraising Event in June of 2008 and booked a total of nine rooms from June 2nd through June 10th for our out of town crew members. The owners of the Catskill Mountain Lodge were willing to work with us so that we were able to stay within our budget. They welcomed us with open arms, making us feel like we had a home away from home in the Catskill Mountains. The accomodations were kept very clean and if there was a problem with a refrigerator or television it was taken care of immediately. During the day of the event some of our crew members worked a split shift and had the afternoon off. They all enjoyed themselves swimming and keeping cool in and around the inviting pool. I had acumulated more items from the event than what would fit in my car and asked the owners if I could leave some of the items in the room until Friday morning. They were very nice and let me leave stuff in the room until I could return on Friday to pick the items up. They did not charge me for leaving the items in the room the additional three nights which I think was truely showing to me that I became part of their Catskill family while staying at their lodge. I now considered the Catskill Mountain Lodge my home in the Catskill Mountains. I recommend the Catskill Mountain Lodge to everyone, we had a fabulous time and a great experience while we stayed there. I plan to return this winter when I go skiing at Hunter Mountain.

• Liked — The owners were very accomodating.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank LizSaratoga
NEW YORK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2008

This hotel will sell you the deluxe rooms and put you in their run down motel rooms that have a tv's with a knob to switch the channels, they smell unsanitary then they charge you for your stay after you immediately bring it to their attention. They manipulate the hotel guests and pretend to be extremely nice couple, when in fact they could careless as long as they have your credit card. The owner is a retired cop and its just so unethical to take your money and not credit you even when you DONT stay in the rundown motel rooms!!!!! I STRONGLY SUGGEST TO BOOK ELSEWHERE. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Liked — Nothing, the entire experience was horrific.
  • Disliked — Everything. the lodge deceives the guests in regards to the motel rooms
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank KELLEY1108
Catskillmtlodge, owner at Catskill Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 31 May 2008
This traveller, as was the other who posted a negative review about our restaurant, never stayed at The Lodge. Both negative reviews contain misinformation of a personal nature. For example, the owners are not retired police and do not "pretend" to be a nice couple. One owner is a journalist and the other is a critical care nurse.
We understand this potential guest was upset at being charged for booking multiple rooms during the President's Week holiday, a time we had to turn away others. She booked our most inexpensive rooms, expressed a vague dissatisfaction and refused a discounted upgrade to a deluxe room.
Our website offer a virtual tour of our standard and deluxe rooms and it provides travellers an accurate depiction. In addition, there are reviews of guests who have actually stayed at The Lodge that are far more insightful and accurate.

Travellers are raving about these Palenville hotels

sweetmik
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2008

I was just looking over some pictures I took from my weekend get away to the Catskill Mountains back in February and reflecting on how wonderful my stay at the Catskill Mountain Lodge was. From the minute I drove into my assigned parking space I was marvelled by the tranquility of the place and the beautiful scenery. The moment I walked into the main lobby I was greeted by a warm fire place and the smell of fresh burning wood. The receptitionist was very welcoming and accomodating. My friend and I stayed in a completely furnished cabin which also had its own fire place. The room was very comfortable with all the necessary accomodation, including cable TV and wireless interness acess. The atmosphere was very serene and comforting. There is a beautiful flowing creek that is overlooked by the lodge which is great for early morning walks.
We also enjoyed the foood at the restaurant and a had a great time at the pub shooting pool and listening the jazz music.
I look foward to returning the the Ctskill Mountain Lodge and can only imagine how beautiful it is in the summer time. There is so much activities to do from skiing, to snow boarding and countless other activities. My next stay will be longer, because there is so much to explore in Palenville and and especially at the Catskill Mountain Lodge, from the pool to the children's playground and creek.
I have recommeded this lodge to all my co-workers and friends who are either looking for a romantic getting, a time to relax or a family friendly place for a get away with their children.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sweetmik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palenville
Hotel Vienna
#1 of 6 in Hunter
B&B Lounge of Catskill
B&B Lounge of Catskill
#3 of 9 in Catskill

Been to Catskill Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!