“The perfect getaway”

Catskill Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Palenville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Catskill Mountain Lodge while attending TAP NY at Hunter Mountain. This was our first stay and having booked over the internet, we were not sure what to expect. Upon arrival we entered the office to check in and were greeted by Cathy and Al, the owners. Instantly we felt comfortable and at home. We were impressed with the large layout of the lodge including a creek, basketball court and large outdoor pool for the summer months. They even have a recently renovated game room that kids would love. Even better was the restaurant and pub featuring 13 beers on tap. At night there was a great live jazz band, featuring Al the owner playing saxophone.
The rooms were clean and comfortable with a beautiful view from the balcony.
Al and Cathy were so warm and kind, you instantly felt like family. They went above and beyond to make sure we were enjoying ourselves , even going as far as driving us to the event we were attending at Hunter Mountain!!
I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone going to Hunter Mountain or even just for a quiet getaway in the Catskills.
I personally will can't wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2014
11  Thank Kptg25
alguart, Owner at Catskill Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thanks for joining us for the TAP New York craft beer festival. You were a wonderful guest during you entire stay and we'd love to have you back. And thanks for taking time to share your experience at the Lodge with other travelers.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Excellent place to stay and looking forward to a longer stay this summer. The restaurant and bar need to be rebranded but beyond that the place is awesome. May I suggest a bit of a less predictable board of faire? A little more creativity beyond the bakers dozen different beers is always a plus as well. Other than that, keep on doing it and you will make it work!

Room Tip: Get a cabin if you can
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Woody N
alguart, Owner at Catskill Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your experience of the Lodge with others. We look forward to your return this Summer. We are always working to improve the hotel and restaurant and hope you'll give Kindred Spirits another try. We have consulted with a world-class chef and are implementing some of the changes he suggested. Thanks again.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed at the Lodge just this past weekend. I, along with a small group, came up to Hunter Mountain for the beer festival. The Lodge offered a very cozy feeling upon entering the lobby. Though we spent most of our time at the festival, we spent a good amount of time at the restaurant and bar. The food was good and the people friendly. The property was gorgeous, set a mere 100-150 feet from a creek. Unfortunately, it was a little chilly to truly enjoy the scenery. Though it's not quite walking distance, it is also close to some beautiful hiking trails (strongly recommend Kaaterskill) and the previously mentioned Hunter Mountain. Al and Kathy were truly a pleasure. Two very sweet human beings who moved upstate from Brooklyn and wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. I would love to come back and enjoy the summer months at the Catskill Mountain Lodge. Thank you, Al and Kathy, for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nick B

Thank you, Nick, for taking time to share your experience at the Lodge with others. We're glad you had a safe, enjoyable and memorable time with your friends at the TAP NY craft beer festival. Your group was a pleasure to be with and you are always welcome to stay with us. Thanks again.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Pleasantly Unexpected- we had another hotel reserved for our stay and it was under construction and so disastrous we didn't want to stay there, so we found this cute little place called Catskill Mountain Lodge. The owners and staff were so friendly and accommodating. They let us use their phone and They were able to get us a room on such short notice for 5 people. They helped us shuttle back and forth to the event we were visiting. The rooms were spacious, clean, plenty of hot water, comfortable and inviting lobby area. Breakfast options were available. Great affordable pricing. Walking Distance to bar. restauraunt( actually right next door with live music ) My friends and I just thought the owners were great people. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rachel E

Thank you, Rachel, for taking the time to share your experiences at our hotel with others. We really enjoyed being in the company of you and your friends and are glad we were able to help you have a safe and memorable time while taking part in the TAP NY beer festival. There's nothing Kathy and I enjoy more than making new friends and you are terrific folks. We hope to see you again soon! Take care.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My friends from Long Island and I have stayed at the Catskill Mountain lodge for 3 years for our annual ski trip and I give the Catskill Mountain Lodge a great review. I've traveled a lot thus stayed at countless hotels and value a high-standard of accomodation and I love this place. The building and rooms are simple and comfortable, the staff are incredibly friendly and accomodating, and the ease-of-access to outdoor sports has made this hotel perfect for little weekend getaways. Also, it has a great price-point for people who want to stay somewhere nice without breaking the bank. I have stayed there a lot and it has been great every time!!!! Highly recommended.

Thanks,

Allie :)

Room Tip: There was one room which was modeled on a TV Show for a make-over, it's gorgeous!! If you want t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank Allie C

Thanks, Allie, for sharing your experience of the Lodge with others. Your experience is especially important as you have stayed with us for the past three ski seasons. You are in a pretty good position to know whether our service and accomodations are consistent or not. Once again, thanks for taking time to tell others about you stays with us.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

What a lovely place!! Very beautiful and inviting lobby. Huge chandelier made of antique wood. Four of us stayed here in one of their huge 2 queen bed rooms at a bargain price, too. The place reminded us of the Overlook Hotel from the Shining! So much character. The gameroom, too. In our room there was a balcony and huge windows that look out to the forest. It was a pleasure to meet Al and Cathy (the owners), and Lillian (the bartender). (Good luck with that criminal justice degree, Lily!) In the evening, Al even plays the saxophone for the guests. We will definitely be coming back. We could have used more cups for our room. It's also located really close to Kaaterskill Falls. We walked there and went up to the waterfall.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Bruce J

Bruce, we thank you for telling others about your time at the Lodge and about your visit to nearby Kaaterskill Falls. It is the highest cascading waterfall in the Eastern United States and so beautiful it has been painted and photographed by many. We're glad you enjoyed the pub and the live Jazz at Kindred Spirits. Our Deluxe Rooms are larger than one might expect and can handle four adults comfortably. Sorry about the coffee mugs. We provide two per room. I'm sure if you had mentioned it, we would've gotten you a couple more. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I took a vacation at the beautiful lodge during a small break in January. As soon as we drove up to the front of the lodge we are greeted by beautiful scenery and the wonderful daughter of the owners. This lodge is a beautifully built establishment run by a wonderful family who just make you feel as if you are a part of the family! As soon as we checked in we headed upstairs and the room was absolutely perfect! I never felt like I was missing anything during my stay, but whenever I felt like I wanted something a little extra, the service was great. I never had to ask twice or wait too long which really made me feel like the staff cared about making my stay as comfortable as ever. Aside from the beautiful rooms, the scenery surrounding the lodge was breath taking. It's the perfect area to sit in silence with your loved one and just enjoy the moment. Right next to the lodge is also an amazing steak house, Kindred Spirits, also run by the family. During our stay we stopped by for dinner and it was one of the most inviting and delicious restaurant experiences I've ever had. Throughout my stay the owners were always around checking up on us to make sure we were happy with our accommodation and they even remembered our names, which was so important to us! We didn't feel just like any other clients but we felt like family! It was nice to see them around the lodge and just take some time to have a conversation and get to know one another. Not only were the staff and owners incredible, but the other individuals lodging during the time were so friendly as well! The establishment is really an extension and a reflection of the incredibly lovely and genuine owners of the lodge. I don't think I could have picked a more wonderful place to spend a cold winter weekend!! I'm looking forward to more peaceful, cozy and welcoming vacations in the near future!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank Jhan128

Wow! You have set expectations very high for anyone reading your review. We are glad you had a peaceful weekend and enjoyed the scenery, the accomodations and restaurant. Making people feel at home is what we enjoy most. We want our guests to wrap their troubles in dreams and dream their troubles away while they are here. We look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palenville
Hotel Vienna
Crystal Brook Resort & Mountain Brauhaus
The Sun View
The Sun View
#3 of 3 in Tannersville

Been to Catskill Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!