“Fab!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 51 Restaurants in Pearl River
Price range: US$16 - US$39
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hillsdale, New Jersey
“Fab!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I love Louie's, they have great meals, great Prices and great people. A Nice selection with staples and a generous specials list.

Visited May 2014

New City, New York
“Lack of attention - Can't cook a steak right the first time..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

4 of us went to Louie’s on the avenue in Pearl River NY for dinner. I had ordered their signature meal “Steak Louie” a 29 Dollar dish, medium rare. When the “Steal Louie” arrived at the table, with one touch of my fork I told me the other couple that there was no way it was cooked top my order because it was as hard as a rock. Cutting it open it was dry and cooked “well done”. Showing the poorly cooked meat to the waiter he returned it to the kitchen.

For the next almost twenty minutes, the other three dinners at the table were consumed by my wife and two friends while I sat staring at the vast and expanse of empty table in front of me. At this point in most good restaurants the manager or matre’de would come to the table to check on the problem, show some recognition that a mistake was made and to follow up on the status of returned meal. Not at Louie’s on the avenue, nobody seemed to care that one of their patrons was sitting without dinner for almost 20 min while the other three at the table were nearly finished. If somebody did notice, they did not express their concern to me.

Finally my replacement “Steak Louie” arrived, with one touch of my fork I knew, once again that it was not cooked to order. This time the steak was extremely rare, black and blue, I think they call it. Once again I summoned the waiter and asked to have my “Steak Louie” cooked to order and once again I sat empty plated. By the time my Steak Louie arrived cooked correctly (I guess at Louie’s, “three times a charm”) the other members of my table were completely finished with their meals. And while I ate my third attempt at dinner they sat and watched. It was uncomfortable for me, awkward for them and I did not enjoy my rather expensive evening. To be fair, on the THIRD attempt, the steak tasted good, or maybe I was just starved at this point.

Possibly there are communication issues between the wait staff and the kitchen, or maybe the kitchen staff just wasn’t paying attention to what they were doing. I don’t know what the problem was that night, but in any other restaurants I have ever been in where there was a problem of this magnitude it would have warranted a visit from the manager to the table. At Louie’s on the avenue nobody came to the table to apologize for the mess that night, offer a glass of wine while I waited, discount the meal, free dissert cup, nothing. At Louie’s on the avenue in Pearl River NY, it appeared to be a “Take it or leave it” attitude. We’ll leave it, and not return.

• Visited May 2014
Nanuet, New York
“The food is alright the service is bad.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I visited this restaurant with my wife due to the good reviews on Tripadvisor. It is the first time that Tripadvisor has let me down. The food was alright, the service was not acceptable. Upon arriving we were promptly seated and the ambiance was nice although a bit dark, I loved the theme of musical instruments that they have, unfortunately, that was the only thing I loved. The waitress was not helpful at all, I asked her to tell me a bit about the respective dishes and she was able to tell me which dish was popular but apparently knows nothing else about how the food is prepared or seasoned; when my wife inquired about one of the pasta dishes, the waitress looked at her and stated "it's pasta" pause "what else do you want to know"
I held out the hope that despite this rude answer the food would compensate for the experience, but it did not. I ordered the Steak Louie which was acceptable but just a little too fatty to be good. We also ordered the baked clams which were breaded and overstuffed to the point that they were unpleasant, the salads were ice cold and had a refrigerated aftertaste. In the end, the best part of the meal was the pasta which based on the waitresses comment I probably could have made at home and had a better experience. Thank God they have a nice wine selection, because you'd have to be drunk to think this is the best restaurant in Pearl River, the BBQ place down the street has better service.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Tappan, New York
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My family and I went here as a pre Easter dinner one night while my grandmother was up in the county. It was a week night so it was not crowded at all. The staff was extremely sweet and funny, but very slow at times ( i.e. would bring out 4 of the 9 apps first then the other 5 15 mins later - rather weird, and not like they were that busy!). But regardless of the service - as I chock it up to an off night.. The food was fantastic! My family ate every bite! Everyone had something different and everything was great - whether it be steak, seafood or chicken! My fiancé and I live up the street and will definitely be back!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pearl River, NY
“Not a fan”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Maybe its me, but in 20 years of sporadically trying out Louie's every few years (mostly because friends talk about having a good meal there), I've still to leave there happy. From dried-out trout almondine, to gristle-y steak that could have been sourced from the ShopRite up the street, the food quality and preparation has always left me wanting. My most recent foray back there was similarly disappointing with barely mediocre food priced at a level that I'd expect something better.
The ambiance of the dining room also is kind of dark and gloomy, but I suppose some like it that way. I've now officially given up trying it

• Visited May 2013