Just returned from two weeks at this hotel. I have to honestly say that this is one of the worst in the Hilton chain.
The outside of the hotel is very nice and elegant. This is where the niceness and elegance end.
I arrived at the hotel and there was no porter or luggage carrier around. So basically plan on moving your luggage up to your room on your own. My first interaction with the front desk staff was pretty bad. I was greeting by an entire team of dreary depressed front desk agents who seemed to be unhappy to be there. There was no "Welcome" or any other chat that would be considered friendly. It was almost as if I was bothering them being there. The entire conversation consisted of them looking at their monitors with their head down and not looking up until it was time to give me my key.
Given there was no porter or luggage carrier, I then chugged my luggage up to my room.
The room was nice and spacious. The two chocolates on the bed was a nice touch. The toilet made a low hissing sound the ENTIRE time I was there. Since I had already unpacked, I just decided to just close the bathroom door to avoid the noise.
The next evening I went downstairs to the in-hotel bar, this was an adventure as there was no bartender to be found. Several other guests were waiting in excess of 5 minutes before someone showed up. The bartender seemed to pop in and out when he "felt" someone was wanting something to drink. I did initially feel that this was a one time issue, except I spent several nights in the lobby area and discovered that this was pretty much the normal drink process.
The evening room service was great and they really go out of their way to give you what you want. I requested a couple of things that were not on the menu and they were able to take care of me. The breakfast room service was interesting. I filled out the breakfast room service request card that you hang on your door the night before with the time you want it delivered. I chose the 7:30am to 8:00am time slot. The next morning I jumped in the shower at 7:00am and figured I had 30 minutes until the delivery. At 7:15am I hear a knock on my door, the knock then turns into several harder knocks. I jump out of the shower to discover that my 7:30am room service decided to show up 15 minutes early and was now waiting on me. I was not happy.
It was almost the end of my two weeks and I had another manager there to replace me and he needed a place to stay locally. I went to the front desk and yes, again, same dreary staff with the same attitude. I was treated as just another pesky guest with a problem. I asked to book and pay for a room for this replacement manager for 1 1/2 weeks. I was told that this was not possible and that all I could do was book it. Another staff member jumped in and told her that it was indeed possible and proceeded to charge my credit card. Again, I truly felt as if I was a bother and was absorbing time from their normal duties.
On checkout I think I was "almost" expecting a "Goodbye and Thank you for staying with us", of course this did not happen. I was given my final bill ($2,500) and sent on my way. I guess I expected too much.
Overall, nice looking hotel, too bad the staff ruined what could have been a very nice stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hilton Pearl River is located on 17 wooded acres just 20 minutes from Manhattan and bordering Bergen County, NJ. Our hotel's design, reminiscent of a country French mansion, and location have earned us the nickname "The Chateau in The Country near The City." We are proud to be a family-owned and operated business and to be recognized for "Best Overall Service" of all Hiltons in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut for the past six years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Pearl River reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Pearl River Hotel Pearl River
- Hilton Hotel Pearl River
- Hilton Pearl River New York