“Pretty good”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I wasn't overwhelmed by my dinner but it wasn't bad. My wife and I took my father, aunt and a friend out one night and it was good. They have a great new deck and I will likely go back on a nice summer evening for dinner.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Looking for an above average atmosphere for lunch and the pictures and reviews looked promising. What an understatement. The French Onion soup had an interesting bread instead of the usual soggy white stuff and was spread with apple butter and topped with (I forget now what) great cheese. Well carmelized onions and not overly salty. Perfect on a winter day. My salad was outstanding and interesting with great dressing. Dining companions had the meatloaf sandwich - well above ordinary, and an interesting and tasty salad special. Sadly we were too full for dessert. Service was friendly and conscientious.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We last ate at the original Humphrey House (different management) about 25 years ago, in the 1980s, when the place was under its original set of owners. Since then, it has closed at least once, perhaps more. It re-opened its doors about a year ago under new owners, Steven and Stefanie Wilkinson. They have remodeled the interior and put a whole new spin on the menu, which now features an eclectic list of really impressive and innovative appetizers, entrees and other palate-pleasing offerings.

I started us off with a shared appetizer; a warm crab dip with naan bread squares. Wow - it was really good! The crab dip contained a wonderful cheese, green onions, and chunks of crab meat that spread oh-so-nicely onto the hot Indian-style bread. We cleaned the plate completely and wanted for more.

My main dish was the seared scallop salad, which was a symphony of "Seasonal Greens, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Carrots, Honey Roasted Sunflower Seeds, Fresh Mozzarella, Olives, Peppadews, Croutons, Avocado, in a home-made Balsamic Vinaigrette" dressing. It went together perfectly, and the seared scallops on top were large, sweet, and crisped just right in a heavy pan before gracing the salad. Wonderful!

We all enjoyed out meals and our desserts, (I couldn't resist the Italian Lemon cake), and even the coffee was perfect.

By the way, the restaurant has also divided its interior to include a separate bar room that looks nice and cozy as well. It includes a few tables so that you could eat in there if so desired, although it is a bit noisier, as is to be expected. An upstairs dining room is also available to rent as a separate catering or party facility.

We will go back there, as it was a vast improvement on the previous edition of Humphreys. A great dinner!

Reviewed 15 January 2014

One of the best meals I've eaten! We began our meal with the Bruschetta of the Day which was absolutely delicious. The special spread is a must try! I ordered the Bucatini Pasta, friends ordered Bolognese and Top Sirloin Steak. My pasta was a blend of outstanding flavors that just melted in your mouth. I tried a little of the Bolognese - Oh My! There aren't words to describe how wonderful that tasted. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, our server was so knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. Applause to Chef Steve for his creativeness!!
This is a must dine experience!!

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Impressive!

I've eaten here twice now and the food and service has been very impressive both times. Located in Penfield this cozy restaurant has ample parking in the back. It has two entrances. One in the back which takes you to the dining room and one in the front which lands you at the bar. It is usually packed on the weekends and reservations are recommended. The crowd seems to be mostly regulars. There is a small bar at the front which seems decent. My experience is with the restaurant only.

The place is well decorated with nicely laid out tables and nice looking furniture. The restaurant is not too big and the seating capacity is reasonable. The dining room is cozy and gives you the feeling of having dinner in your private dining room instead of a restaurant.

I had the same waitress twice that I have been here and she was wonderful with prompt service, a smile on her face and very helpful with recommendations.

One thing that is great about this place is their good sized specials menu which changes on a day to day and seasonal basis. And most of them sound amazing and taste amazing. Every time you go you have something new, fresh and seasonal to try.

Now for the food.

Complimentary bread. Served with sweet butter and garlic butter. Crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Nice and warm and tastes amazing with the butter. Specially the garlic one.

Calamari. Amazing. One of the best most flavorful calamari I have ever had. Served with a ranchy dip.

Baked Feta with Olives. Special appetizer for the day. As good as feta gets. Served with warm pita bread. Highly recommended.

Duck Salad. Special appetizer for the day. The duck was very flavorful and the ingredients went together very well. The calamari took the appetizer king award though.

Roasted Red Pepper Soup. Good soup but I have had better. The french onion my friend ordered looked amazing and he loved it.

Bucatini Pasta. I am usually not a big fan of pasta when eating out but gave this one a try and was not disappointed. The blend of chicken, squash and chopped almonds along with other ingredients was done very very well.

Fish and Chips. Served with coleslaw and tartar sauce. Huge serving size. Decent but not the best. There are very few places in the US that can do fish and chips well. This was a decent attempt but the fish didn't really meet the high expectations I've developed after eating fish and chips in the United Kingdom.

Creme Brulee. Had the cinnamon brown sugar one. They change it often with different flavors of Creme Brulee available. It was very good and I finished every last morsel of it. Plenty of other dessert options were available including cheesecake, chocolate mousse and Italian lemon cake.

My friends tried the seared shrimp salad, london broil (huge steak), short rib pot roast and the ahi tuna and everyone loved what they ordered and finished it all. Serving sizes are on the large side for most of the Entrees.

The prices are what you'd expect from a place serving good quality food in a good atmosphere. Not overly expensive in my opinion.

I've heard that this place used to be a pharmacy in the past and/or a doctor lived here (two version) and you can see a display of old pharmaceuticals utilizing animals and plants at the restaurant entrance which is really fascinating.

A great dining experience over all which should not be missed. Will definitely return.